Microsoft Zune

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
I need to replace my 5 year old Creative Zen 5 GB mp3 player...does anyone have any pros or cons of the new 80 gig MS Zune?

I am not interested in how it works with wi-fi or subscription music services, as I have 25 years worth of CD's ripped already. I am just interested in functionality aspects.

Thanks y'all! :D

I need to replace my 5 year old Creative Zen 5 GB mp3 player...does anyone have any pros or cons of the new 80 gig MS Zune?

I am not interested in how it works with wi-fi or subscription music services, as I have 25 years worth of CD's ripped already. I am just interested in functionality aspects.

Zune MP3 Player

Btw- Me and my wife love our old 30 gig bricks. Great product. :D

Why not get an ipod classic 80gb? Pretty much ubiquitous in terms of accessories. For example, while you go buy a new car radio that is ipod compatible (something I just did), I suspect its a bit more of a challenge to get a zune one. Then there are cases, power adapters, speakers, etc... a ton of ipod stuff out there.

And I still think Apple's software cannot be beat in terms of functionality.

Just my two cents.... :)

Why not get an ipod classic 80gb? Pretty much ubiquitous in terms of accessories. For example, while you go buy a new car radio that is ipod compatible (something I just did), I suspect its a bit more of a challenge to get a zune one. Then there are cases, power adapters, speakers, etc... a ton of ipod stuff out there.

And I still think Apple's software cannot be beat in terms of functionality.

Just my two cents.... :)

I am one of those poor unfortunates that thinks that Apple is the devil incarnate. So an ipod is OUT. :)

Plus I need a FM radio. :)

Zune MP3 Player
Btw- Me and my wife love our old 30 gig bricks. Great product. :D

Like mine as well...picked it up new for $119 on a clearance. Great buy. And as to the downloading of music, I prefer Amazon over iTunes. I've never had a problem finding accessories (and a lot of car stereos have aux inputs now anyway). I really like the wireless sync as well.

Personally I think that the ipod is overpriced relative to other players. True the iPod accessories are more widely available but i know more than a few who are very happy with their Zunes (ora few other brands ) usability with their automotive system.

I had a 60GB iPod Photo for a few years before deciding to get a Zune. I thought about a iPod classic, but decided to go with the slightly bigger screen of the Zune 80. So far, I'm liking it.

There are a couple things I miss from the iPod. The biggest one is smart playlists. I really wish the Zune had it. Also, the tag management is pretty bad in the Windows Zune software. luckily I had edited most of my tags already using a 3rd party freeware util called mp3tag. Also, sync'ing sometimes gets a little flaky, but trying it a couple times usually gets it working.

Stogie,

Just to warning you, I do not think you can selectively pick songs by your ratings on to the Zune. A friend of mine has a 40G Creative and he can select all 4 and 5 star rated songs from his 400G+ songs on his computer. He got the Zune for the picture capability, but got rid of it due to this drawback.

Also you are required to use the Zune computer software and can not use another program (on computer).

Stogie,

Just to warning you, I do not think you can selectively pick songs by your ratings on to the Zune. A friend of mine has a 40G Creative and he can select all 4 and 5 star rated songs from his 400G+ songs on his computer. He got the Zune for the picture capability, but got rid of it due to this drawback.

Also you are required to use the Zune computer software and can not use another program (on computer).

I don't use that, nor do I use the sync function. Bought the player today, when you set it up it asks if you want to sync each type of file, I picked NO for all of them, and just loaded what I want on the Zune. No fuss, no muss. I have music on my computer that I might not want on the Zune so I don't want it to constantly update.

I AM going to have to update my tags though, the old Zen Micro was very tolerant, and, as a few of you have pointed out, the Zune isn't tolerant of mis-tagging.

I will have to say its LIGHT YEARS better than the Zen. Holy moly mp3 players have come a LONG way in five years! :cool:

Only things I have found I don't like in the few minutes I have played with it is that the earbuds SUCK, and no EQ. I like my music bass heavy and I like to have an EQ to do that, but it still sounds pretty good.

3 year parts and labor warranty is a definite plus!

One more thing, they have just introduced the Red 80GB Zune, also. I still got the black though.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions! :up

I don't use that, nor do I use the sync function. Bought the player today, when you set it up it asks if you want to sync each type of file, I picked NO for all of them, and just loaded what I want on the Zune. No fuss, no muss. I have music on my computer that I might not want on the Zune so I don't want it to constantly update.

I AM going to have to update my tags though, the old Zen Micro was very tolerant, and, as a few of you have pointed out, the Zune isn't tolerant of mis-tagging.

I will have to say its LIGHT YEARS better than the Zen. Holy moly mp3 players have come a LONG way in five years! :cool:

Only things I have found I don't like in the few minutes I have played with it is that the earbuds SUCK, and no EQ. I like my music bass heavy and I like to have an EQ to do that, but it still sounds pretty good.

3 year parts and labor warranty is a definite plus!

One more thing, they have just introduced the Red 80GB Zune, also. I still got the black though.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions! :up

No prob, Don't let the apple people bring you down.

Remember it's not your fault, It's Macs fault. (taken from their latest commercial:D)

Apple - Get a Mac - Watch the TV Ads

Crick the one that says Breakthrough. Even apple know it's their own fault.

Just imagine a world where you couldn't choose from any set of components you want in your machine. :tux:

My wife and I also have the 30 gigger bricks. And we love them!

Great for watching TV shows on. Hacked up an FM transmitter to get great range out of it.

I'm like you stogie... Case in point, we are getting new smart phones for work. We looked at the iPhones... No go. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice product, but I just couldn't sleep at night knowing I have a product with an Apple logo on it... ::shivvers:: !protest :devil: :haha

I had a 60GB iPod Photo for a few years before deciding to get a Zune. I thought about a iPod classic, but decided to go with the slightly bigger screen of the Zune 80. So far, I'm liking it.

There are a couple things I miss from the iPod. The biggest one is smart playlists. I really wish the Zune had it. Also, the tag management is pretty bad in the Windows Zune software. luckily I had edited most of my tags already using a 3rd party freeware util called mp3tag. Also, sync'ing sometimes gets a little flaky, but trying it a couple times usually gets it working.
I guess Microsoft is reading people's posts. They just released an update to the Zune software that addresses both these issues. :up

One thing I DO agree with the Zune detractors on, without a doubt, the Zune software is CRAP. I've been messing with electronic gagets since 1980 or so, and this ranks right up there with the worst implentations of software I've ever seen. I set it to sync to ONE folder on an external hard drive, and without fail the Zune software grabs EVERY song on the hard drive. I removed all the folders in the setup, did it again JUST pointing the software to ONE folder, and, sure enough, after a couple times syncing up, it goes back to grabbing every damn thing on the drive. :(

But coming from the same company that pushes Vista, what should I have expected? I knew beforehand, though....LOL:D

I had no idea that MS didn't include an EQ. I bought some SkullCandy earbuds that helped somewhat, but I am a basshead, and without an EQ, I am lacking bass enhancement. Other than that, the player itself is BRILLIANT. I like how the buttons work, volume works, speed navigating is fine...it really is great hardware. Its just the SOFTWARE that sucks... :(

1) The new Zune software (released this week) clears some of the problems you guys are listing.

2) Zune software, for some of its faults >>>>>>>>>> ITunes, which is just horrid.

Love my 80GB loaded up with lossless :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts