Mid South/Memphis, TN Voomers

Ok, after waiting for New Age Electronics to call me back and let me know something I called them and the lady said she would have her boss call me back in a few minutes. Well, a few hours later she called me back to confirm an appointment on June 22nd. I have a Doctors appointment at 12:30PM so it will have to be done early. I am starting to lose confidence again. For one, this lady tells me all the great things like "the boss is going to handle this personally and call me back" yet I have yet to hear from her boss. So, now it's been two weeks since I last spoke with anyone. 34 days since my install and I still have no locals. If they actually get a working antenna installed on the 22nd, it will have been 41 days since my original install. Does this not sound like bad business to you?

Called Voom last week and they agreed to give me next month's service for free. Never heard back from New Age Electronics last week. (I had asked the lady to call and confirm that they did indeed receive the equipment) I am scheduled for tomorrow morning. I'm NOT going to call and confirm with this company. I would expect them to call me today to confirm the appointment tomorrow, but then again I would have never expected it to take this long to install a working OTA antenna. I will post an update tomorrow after the install.

Well, the guy from New Age Electronics showed up at about 11:15 (I told them I had to leave right at 12:00, but whatever). He installed some huge Winegard antenna and it didn't work. I was able to get most of my channels but the signal was so weak that it would freeze up every couple of minutes. He kept saying well let me try this it would only take a second. I finally told him his "only take a second" deals were turning into minutes and I was going to be late for my doctors appointment. So I finally just told him he was going to have to leave. He agreed and said to call him when I got back from my appointment. I called him on my way back and he met me at my house. This time he had another guy with him. They made some adjustments here and there. Tried an amp & a new diplexer, no love. He kept asking me "what local channels do you want?" Uhh, all of them? Why would I want certain ones? They made me sign a piece of paper saying they were able to get all of my channels tuned accept for 13, 50, & 40. I noticed the installer would never leave it on one channel for very long because he knew it was going to freeze. I finally told the guy, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. I AM TIRED OF SCREWING WITH THIS. He kept saying that no one gets all the locals. The other guy started the whole "it does say in the agreement that they don't guarantee any locals". So, after 42 days of waiting, I'm giving up. Since Voom has given me one month for free I will keep it and then move back to cable. It really pisses me off because I really want Voom. I know it may sound silly to base this all on locals, but it's just one of those things. I do want all those HD channels that I get from Voom, BUT I also want to see CBS, NBC, FOX, etc. If anything just for my local news. I hate Time Warner with a passion and it's eating me up inside to have to go crawling back to them. My wife is giving me sh*t for constantly changing back and forth. I've been selling the Voom idea to everyone I know. Now I feel like a fool because I can't even get locals on the damn thing. So to VOOM, great idea, great HD service, but I am have to have my locals.

tscallions,

You should be able to get all locals, except for 13 (Fox) and 40 (TBN). The reason you can not get Fox is because they are still at low power (2.2 kw). 2 reasons you can not get TBN is one beacause they are at low power also (4.5 kw) and because their tower is directional... it doesn't point towards Memphis. It points towards Holly Springs.

Which stations are you receiving? What stations are mapped on your box? I am in Southaven and I am using the Silver Sensor (no preamp) that I put in the attic. The towers are between 18 to 25 miles away. These are the stations I am receiving:

3 WREG-DT
5 WMC-DT
24 WPTY-DT
30 WLMT-DT (UPN)
50 WPXX-DT (PAX)

Of course I can not get 13 or 40 because of the reasons above. You should be able to get the above 5.

Since you say that you are only 8 miles from the towers, you main concern will be multipath not gain.

Jerry

Hello all.

I got my Voom installed last Friday with little problems from an install point. It happened to be raining that day and the installers still came to the house and hung out in my living room putting together the dish and OTA antenna to give the rain a chance to die down. The install was on time and fairly painless yet the techs didn't know much about setting my resolution and other things but I did so it was all well. As far as local channels I am getting most of mine except channel 13 which is the one that I really want. Supposedly they are supposed to come out on 7/27 to provide me with a new OTA antenna.

I am still a little miffed about the problems I had last night. Sitting on hold gor 30 min just to be told to power cycle my reciever was irritating. An IVR message would have been a better solution...

DemisE said:
Hello all.

I got my Voom installed last Friday with little problems from an install point. It happened to be raining that day and the installers still came to the house and hung out in my living room putting together the dish and OTA antenna to give the rain a chance to die down. The install was on time and fairly painless yet the techs didn't know much about setting my resolution and other things but I did so it was all well. As far as local channels I am getting most of mine except channel 13 which is the one that I really want. Supposedly they are supposed to come out on 7/27 to provide me with a new OTA antenna.

I am still a little miffed about the problems I had last night. Sitting on hold gor 30 min just to be told to power cycle my reciever was irritating. An IVR message would have been a better solution...

Hate to burst your bubble. But right now you will not be able to get FOX 13. Right now they are transmitting at a very low power of 200 watts, and the tower is in a temporary location that is very low. So unless you are lucky, and you live very close to the tower, you won't be able to receive FOX 13. A new antenna probably will not help.

BTW that is one of the reasons i kept D* HD. Since Memphis is an O&O affiliate I will be able to receive the National FOX HD feed from D* this fall.

The AVSForum has a Memphis Local HDTV Forum. That is where I go for current info for Memphis.

Jerry

Well that sucks. I had the Time Warner HDTV package before Voom but FoxHD was always Off Air which really botherd me. I guess we will see what happens after the new antenna. According to antennaweb I am about 11 miles from the Fox antenna. But from looking around on here that site may be inaccurate

For all of the MidSouth Voomers... WKNO-DT finally went live today. I did a rescan of my OTA and I am now getting these extra channels:

10-1 WKNO-DT
10-3 WKNO-HD

Right now 10-3 is a black screen for me. I am assuming they are still working on the HD portion. 10-1 is working great though.

Here is a link for more info.

Jerry

I guess that there are either not many Voomers in the west Tennessee area or few have found this thread. TScallions tells me that he cancelled Voom back in September. I have an install scheduled for Thursday, 1/13/2005, but after reading the few posts here, I am concerned.

To log my experience:

I ordered the $1 deal on the net on 1/5/2005, but could not schedule an install. I called 1-800-GET-VOOM on the 6th and after 23 minutes got an install date.

On 1/10, I called Installs, Inc. and asked them to have the installer call me to coordinate. I was assured that C.J. would get in touch with me promptly.

On 1/11, haven't heard from C.J., I called Installs, Inc. again and again was assured that I would hear from them soon. I asked who would be doing the install and was told that the installer is from Grenada, MS, 130 miles south of me. This seems to be the same installer that TScallions had trouble with.

Update 5:30 P.M. 1/12. aven't heard a word from C.J. and the install is scheduled for sometime between 8:00 A.M. and noon tomorrow.

Oh, well! We'll see.

I'm a little late updating, but I have had an overall good experience. Installs, Inc. called on the morning of the scheduled install and told me that the installer would arrive around 11:00 A. M. The installer, C.J. called about 10:30 to let me know that he would be a little late due to a problem install. He showed up at 12:30 and had all the equipment needed for the install. He was pretty pessimistic about OTA channels and told me that I had to use the diplexer and after I called Installs, Inc and was told that that was correct for a 3 room installation, he proceeded with the install.

My situation was pretty simple for him as two of the three lacations were already wired and the third was readily accessable. The install went smoothly and he installed the ChannelMaster Stealth antenna and pointed it the direction that I got from antennaweb.org (not the direction on his install docs) and hit all the channels at 96-100 with the exception of 5 and 13 which are at low power. 5 has since gone to full power, I guess, because I'm getting it at 93. 13 is still a no show.

Since I am in south Tipton County, I am very happy with the reception. I'm on a hill and have clear view all around. All in all, at this time I'm a satisfied customer.

Added Later: Well, Channel 5 was on yesterday, but is gone again today. Hope they are trying to get up to full power. I don't want to get a bigger antenna. :mad:

Hey,

I am also in South Tipton, Atoka-and got installed about 3 weeks ago. I am getting the OTA channels pretty good, with the exception of 13. I cannot get WKNO from the box very good, but can get thru inside rabbit ears-go figure!

Channel 5 fixed their problem, so all is well there. 13 is in the process of moving their antenna, so we won't get anything there for a while yet. I am getting a 93-97 signal strength on 10-1 and 10-3 and receiving 10-1 fine, but get nothing on 10-3. Another forum informs me that there is something there, I'm just not getting it.

The channel that you get on rabbit ears is not the one that you get through the Voom STB, so that doesn't really mean anything. You might need a little adjustment on the aiming.

AVSForum had an email from one of the 13 engineers stating that the whole "power up for the Super Bowl" was a lot of bunk. They just now ordered their equipment for the new antenna and he stated that it will be at least 6 months before it is in and installed. Forget Fox HD for a while. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts