Middle East and rest of world news - In English

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NEOSG

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2005
East Amherst, NY
I'm nterested in seeing/hearing a different persepctive on current events, along with footage that we don't get to see inthe US. I was wondering if there are any middle eastern and for that matter news channels from around the world that are available in english on Dish Network? I looked at the international list, but most of those seem to be non-English speaking. I thought I would check out Link-9410, but curious if there are others. Thanks in advance

On Link/9410, there is a 30 minute Mosaic program which airs several times per day; it is content from several news programs from middle east edited together...mostly just top stories shown...most of it dubbed into english.

Then there is Bridges TV, which is $15/mo, I think. It's in English. http://www.bridgestv.com/home.asp

Unless Dish picks up AJI (Al Jazarra Int'l), that is pretty much it.

Last edited:
Thanks Lacruz. I've check out the big Al, and luckily I have a mute button, lol. haven't seen one bit of English on there. I have a cousin in the IDF, and would like to be able to see some of what he sees on a daily basis over there. Since I can't get him to wear a web cam, I have to look elseware. I'll check out Bridge and that mosiac program. Thanks

You might like the Israeli Channel better then (Ch. 656), but none of it, except some commercials, is English...$20/mo.

Yeah, watched that too. But, I haven't said or understood a word in hebrew since my Bar Mitzvah, oh, say, 20 YEARS AGO ;-)

Thanks again :)

I heard the other day Al-Jazeera has an English language channel "Al-Jazeera International" they are trying to launch in the US. It's unknown at this point if Dan Rather will be one of their on-air personalities.

www.stopaljazeera.org

Pepper said:
I heard the other day Al-Jazeera has an English language channel "Al-Jazeera International" they are trying to launch in the US. It's unknown at this point if Dan Rather will be one of their on-air personalities.

www.stopaljazeera.org

pepper, why would you try and appear helpful, yet include a link to stopaljazeera?

Your too frickin funny. Next time, feel free to NOT reply to one of my posts

BBC World News is carried on BBC America, and perhaps by your local PBS station as well. It ain't Middle East, but does present a non-U.S. viewpoint.

Thank you. I recently started checking out BBCA, and it has been interesting to say the least. Although most of my viewpoints tend to agree with most of our US news, I still prefer to make my own decisions on what news footage I see and/or don't see. So much of the US news stations footage is so watered down.

At the same time, I don't need a sat feed of ogrish.com, lol

Not trying to be unhelpful at all. Just pointing out that there IS an English-language Al-Jazeera, and also that there are those who are against its launch.

Of course, you don't need Al-Jazeera if you just want extremist right wing religious broadcasting that trumpets policy that harms America. FoxNews is widely available.

Could a moderator please close/lock/remove this thread

Could a moderator please close/lock/remove this thread as it is no longer on topic

News in Englsih from other parts of the world on the Dish system includes:

England
Channel 135 - BBC World News on BBC America:
Saturday and Sunday
6:00am (ET), 5:00am (CT), 4:00am (MT), and 3:00am (PT)
Monday - Friday
6:00am-9:00am and 6:00pm (ET),
5:00am-8:00am and 5:00pm (CT),
4:00am-7:00am and 4:00pm (MT),
3:00am-6:00am and 3:00pm (PT)

Germany
Channel 9410 European News Journal from Deutsche Welle (Germany) in English on World Link
Daily 1:30am, 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm

Channel 9410 DW Journal (Business News from Germany)
4am, 10am, 4pm, 10pm

Middle East Edited
Channel 9410 Mosaic (Middle East) Mosaic features selections from daily TV news programs produced by national broadcasters throughout the Middle East. The news reports are presented unedited and translated, when necessary, into English.
Unknown playback times.

China Government run
Channel 264 China Central TV (Several News programs in English. Schedule unknown)

Japan
Channel 640 TV Japan (News NHK Programs free to all subscribers and FTA receivers) Some news programs in English. 7am news (the Evening news in Japan) has a Second Audio track in English. Select "Japanese" on the Dish receiver to get the program in English.

That's all I know about in English. Everything except BBC America is available with AT60 or less! BBC America requires AT120.

AT120 also opens up access to news from Mexico but that would be in Spanish. As is news from Spain on HITN available with AT60 or less.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)