Might have to switch...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rhinoman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
I've been with Directv for over ten years so I am hesitant to jump ship but the Dish TurboHD deal looks mighty enticing.

But the facts are this- I pay $52 a month for an old SD package (Select Choice) with DVR and local channels. I'd like to stay with Directv but Dish has a great offer that would allow me to upgrade to HD and add TVs for about the same money, maybe even less.

Has anyone corresponded with Directv's Customer retention and gotten a great deal? I would think Directv would be primed to have something in place to keep their customers from leaving. Will they develop an all HD package?

(I've emailed Directv earlier today but still waiting for a response.)

I've been with Directv for over ten years so I am hesitant to jump ship but the Dish TurboHD deal looks mighty enticing.

But the facts are this- I pay $52 a month for an old SD package (Select Choice) with DVR and local channels. I'd like to stay with Directv but Dish has a great offer that would allow me to upgrade to HD and add TVs for about the same money, maybe even less.

Has anyone corresponded with Directv's Customer retention and gotten a great deal? I would think Directv would be primed to have something in place to keep their customers from leaving. Will they develop an all HD package?

(I've emailed Directv earlier today but still waiting for a response.)

Calling them will get you farther along than emailing, in this instance.

How do the two providers shake out AFTER the promos DISH is offering you.
Is it still a great savings ?

Jimbo

Depends on what package but dish turbohd gold for one hdtv with two dual tuners and one being a dvr would end up being cheaper than a comparable package with directv for 4 tv's and 4 tuners and the top hd package.

Directv emailed back fairly quickly and I was told that I am eligible for 50% off any equipment order since I have been a long term customer. I would have to sign up for a two year commitment.
No deals on a package.

Well, I guess that is something.

think(look) b4 u leap

I was a E* customer for almost 12 years, I left and switched to D* and have never been happier. If you get the Vip 722 receiver you would have 1 tv with hd and the other in sd although these receivers output to more than one tv the second output is analog. Also you cant have more than a certain number of tuners on the account I believe it's 8. If you have 4 tv's you want to hook up the best that they will give you in equipment will depend on what kind of tv's you have and you can only get 2 hd dvr's for free (not free you lease both of them each month) and if you have more than 2 hdtv's you would have to pay for a 3rd hd dvr (full price) and anyone that dosent buy a dual tuner one is crazy otherwise you wind up watching what youre recoding. I will admit that the software in their (E*) DVR is better or I should say prettier and easier to use. Also E* charges for each receiver that is on your account and charges a fee if they are not connected to a phone line. D* on the other hand only charges 1 fee per account and could care less if you have a phone line. I also believe that the PQ on D* is much better than E* they may have improved it but when I left (April 08) their SD quality was a joke and although the HD quality is good D* is better. I know I am not the only person that also had lots of trouble with their billing several other people that I know and others that I have read about on here did too. I had to watch my bill every month and 2 out of 3 months I would have to call in and have them fix it--so there's no way I would autopay. If you wind up ever having any kind of trouble even if you have their protection plan it dosent cover a lot of things dish realignment, switches, lnb's ---just the receiver---and I would suggest that you take pictures of each receiver that you ever have to exchange because many people including myself have been accused of "modifying" the receiver then they want to bill you about $400 bucks. I was once accused of drilling a hole in the back of one of my receivers and I never did anything of the kind. I had to call corporate get an executive assistant and tell them that if they didnt remove it that we would go to court as I knew that I had not done what they said and that there was no way that they could prove that I did it. Also keep in mind that if good ol charlie decides he dosent want to pay for a channel then they will just take it off, and you wont get credit for the channel missing from your programming, I know I've asked for it. I would also keep in mind that D* could easily out do E* in channels they already have more capacity and have a new sat going up next year. E* last sat never made it to orbit. I'm not telling you what to do but I would make sure that I knew all the facts before I switched. You may not get as much as what you think. Anyway I would call D* retention and talk 1st. Good luck :wave

I don't believe E* HD offerings are that great. If you look at the E* forum there is a post detailing how E* almost cut off HDNet and HDNet movies this morning.

go for it. the good thing is that you could always switch back to D once your contract is up with E if you're unhappy. freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.

Yeah, decisions, decisions. I am so glad there are two competing satellite companies!

Rey_1178, I so get your avatar cartoon! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)