Might switch back to Charter, a few Q's

Bolt supports OTA if you wanted that in the future. If you want more than 4 tuners you will have to go with 2 Bolts or one of the Roamio Pro versions which are cable only but have 6 tuners. The Bolt only has 4 tuners

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All things being equal I would take the Bolt. The automatic commercial skipping alone would make it worth it. If the Roamio is significantly less expensive I would go with that though. I'm also not sure whether the Bolt supports OTA or not so if you are ever considering cutting the cord that's something to consider.

Tivo is now rolling out the firmware to all the Roamio's, so they ALSO can do the commercial "skip" and the high-speed playback.

Reactions: king3pj
Tivo is now rolling out the firmware to all the Roamio's, so they ALSO can do the commercial "skip" and the high-speed playback.

Is that true? I already got an update that added channel logos to my guide and the 30% faster playback. It didn't say anything about automatic commercial skip and I haven't stumbled across how to do it yet if it's there.

Is that true? I already got an update that added channel logos to my guide and the 30% faster playback. It didn't say anything about automatic commercial skip and I haven't stumbled across how to do it yet if it's there.

Would I lie to you? You need to sign up to get the new firmware as it's only a release candidate right now, but plenty of people have it.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=534629

Wow! I assumed they were keeping that as a Bolt exclusive to get people to upgrade, especially because it wasn't in the recent update that included some of the other Bolt features. I really hope they roll that out to everyone. Auto-hop is the only feature I miss from my old Hoper system and this would be even better because it's not limited to the big 4 networks.

As of now, with the Bolt the only thing you really get is a faster box (from what I hear, apps are almost instant now vs several second startups on Roamios) and if you use Plex, you will get 1080p playback availability vs only 720p on the Roamio.

On the negative, there still isn't a Hulu app yet(it's coming) for the Bolt(although the on on the Roamio it has issues anyway) and unless you are into "style" imo you get an awkward and ugly WHITE box.

Checking back in, I bought a TiVo Roamio Pro. I decided to go for the bigger capacity box, and from what I read about the commercial skipping, it seems to only work with current network shows. Amazon had a new Pro for $448 so that sounded like a good deal. I also ordered a Mini and MoCA filter which I'll deal with once I get the Roamio set up and working. (And I figure out how it all connects to each other)

I have a hard wired router right next to the spot the Tivo is going, so I should be in good shape there.

Thanks again to all for the input. This place is a wealth of knowledge and it's filled with great members! Merry Christmas to all, or whatever Holiday works for y'all! :)

Checking back in, I bought a TiVo Roamio Pro. I decided to go for the bigger capacity box, and from what I read about the commercial skipping, it seems to only work with current network shows. Amazon had a new Pro for $448 so that sounded like a good deal. I also ordered a Mini and MoCA filter which I'll deal with once I get the Roamio set up and working. (And I figure out how it all connects to each other)

I have a hard wired router right next to the spot the Tivo is going, so I should be in good shape there.

Thanks again to all for the input. This place is a wealth of knowledge and it's filled with great members! Merry Christmas to all, or whatever Holiday works for y'all! :)

Too bad you didn't check in earlier. If you only wanted the extra capacity you could have saved some money by purchasing the basic Roamio and putting in your own hard drive. I took the 500GB drive out of mine and replaced it with a 3TB drive so I would have the same capacity as the Pro model.

That's not to say that the Pro model is a bad choice. It has other features that my basic model does not like built in Tivo Stream and 6 tuners vs my 4. In fact, if the 6 tuner Tivos supported OTA I would have went with one of those instead. I have used mine as a cord cutter and with cable so OTA is a must for me.

Late to the party, but I switched from DISH in mid June 2014 and went with a Tivo/Mini setup and have never looked back. Many more channels offered in HD than DISH had and I have missed two price increases with DISH since I left. Basically, with Charter I have what DISH calls the SILVER pack and since I am bundled with phone, Internet and TV I am saving $100 a month now. I used to be a DISH fan I left my local cable co, but since then it was purchased by Charter and the difference is night and day with the PQ and service.

I have no idea of what I am about to post is actually transpiring or not. But.... Back in 2014, when I dropped Dish and switched to Charter, I was told that Charter was in the process of developing a cloud based HD DVR, which would use the cloud for storing and accessing programs through out the subscribers home. I was told that this new DVR was going to PROBABLY be released in Nov. 2014. At that time, I purchased only the TiVo's that I needed and was going to wait to see what transpired with Charter's "New" Cloud Based DVR. A few days ago, I emailed the 2014 salesman that came into my home and politely let him know that it was now Jan. 2016 and the Charter Cloud Based DVR was nothing more than vapor ware. He emailed me back and let me know that this supposed "New" DVR had just begun to be tested in two states and that he did not know when it would be made available where I live. Now, I do not know if what this salesman told me was a lot more hot air or not, but.... if what he said is true, that new Cloud Based DVR would be a game changer. And.. I must say one more thing... Due to my neurological disease and due to the fact that it has been since 2014, when he told me all of the features that this currently vapor ware product DVR was supposed to have, I can't remember what all its features were to be.

Personally, I'm not going to hold my breath!

EDIT: Here is the Link to the site the salesman referred me to back in 2014:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ch...ud-based-interactive-program-guide/2014-02-24

WOW.. and then .. I found this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-cisco-said-to-unveil-cloud-cable-tv-service

Last edited: