AMIKO Mini HD SE Comments

I was using my Mini HD SE connected directly to my TV. A few days ago I tried routing it through my Yamaha RX-V473 AV Receiver. It works, but only if I turn off the AV receiver and turn it back on. None of my other HDMI devices have this problem, just the Mini HD SE.

Is this a known bug with a work-around other than connecting direct to the TV?
Could be an HDMI-CEC issue. Some devices have that problem if HDMI-CEC is turned on when certain devices are connected to them. I've had it happen with my Denon receiver a few times but not sure of the specifics of what causes it. If there is an option to disable HDMI-CEC in your Yamaha you could give that a try to see if it makes any difference. (PS - It's not always called HDMI-CEC. I believe Samsung uses the term Anynet, Sony uses Bravia Sync, etc. Sometimes it is just called HDMI control.)

Could be an HDMI-CEC issue. Some devices have that problem if HDMI-CEC is turned on when certain devices are connected to them. I've had it happen with my Denon receiver a few times but not sure of the specifics of what causes it. If there is an option to disable HDMI-CEC in your Yamaha you could give that a try to see if it makes any difference. (PS - It's not always called HDMI-CEC. I believe Samsung uses the term Anynet, Sony uses Bravia Sync, etc. Sometimes it is just called HDMI control.)

I turned off HDMI control per your suggestion and unfortunately it still doesn't work. But thanks anyway for trying to help me.

I think that the problem is HDMI handshake failure. If the Yamaha is off while the Amiko powers on, it works. If the Yamaha is on before the Amiko is turned on it says 'No signal'. At that point I have to power cycle the Yamaha to get a picture.

I turned off HDMI control per your suggestion and unfortunately it still doesn't work. But thanks anyway for trying to help me.

I think that the problem is HDMI handshake failure. If the Yamaha is off while the Amiko powers on, it works. If the Yamaha is on before the Amiko is turned on it says 'No signal'. At that point I have to power cycle the Yamaha to get a picture.
It sounded similiar to something I had experienced with a blu-ray player so it was worth mentioning. I haven't connected the Amiko to our Denon receiver yet, only to our tv, but might in the future so it's worth trying to see if I get the same result. If it affects enough people perhaps it can be addressed in a future firmware upgrade.

I own the AmikoHDSE and I know it's not the same model Yamaha , but I have a Yamaha RX-V671 and i do NOT have this issue. It doesn't matter which is turned on first, i always get video. Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

I swapped HDMI cables and it still doesn't work. My Blu-ray player and TiVo don't have this issue.

My RX-V473 has 4K pass-through and the RX-V671 doesn't, so that could have something to do with why the Amiko Mini HD doesn't work for me? I don't know.

This appears to be just a random Amiko Mini HD SE thread so rather than starting a new thread...

When I first purchased my Amiko, the clock was loosing about 3 minutes a week. Now, almost a year later, the time will stay spot on for over a month! Is the Amiko getting time updates from a transponder? Or has the system time base just burned in and found its 'groove'? (When the stb was loosing time, it was connected to C-Band, lately it has been on Ku band exclusively.)

I've had mine for nearly a year. It records everyday and the only time I've had to tweak the time is after a couple very rare crashes.

I am using the Amiko mini HD SE as well...

It was suggested to me to rescan 12053 V 22000 ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/looking-for-recommendations.348183/#post-3638402 ) for some missing channels...TBN, Church, Smile of a Child, Enlace, etc.

I connected my meter to the incoming RG-6, and receive a good strong sig / qual from 12053, as well as from many other transponders from 97.0W.

I performed a blind scan with the unit, but when I go into the install menu and select the 12053 transponder from the 97.0W bird, I receive no signal at the bottom of the screen.

Any ideas as to why 12053 won't show up after a blind scan, even though I get a good signal on my meter?

Thanks.

I am using the Amiko mini HD SE as well...

It was suggested to me to rescan 12053 V 22000 ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/looking-for-recommendations.348183/#post-3638402 ) for some missing channels...TBN, Church, Smile of a Child, Enlace, etc.

I connected my meter to the incoming RG-6, and receive a good strong sig / qual from 12053, as well as from many other transponders from 97.0W.

I performed a blind scan with the unit, but when I go into the install menu and select the 12053 transponder from the 97.0W bird, I receive no signal at the bottom of the screen.

Any ideas as to why 12053 won't show up after a blind scan, even though I get a good signal on my meter?

Thanks.
Which LNB are you using? Do you have the polarity for 97W set to Auto in the Satellite Installation menu?

Yes, the polarity is set to Auto. I am using this LNB ( http://www.wsidigital.com/ESX-LINEAR-LNB-LNBF/Ku-Band-LNBF/ESX522-Ku-Band-Dual-LNB-LNBF.htm ).

When performing a blind scan, from all other transponders on 97W, I am picking up > 700 video channels, just not any from 12053. The LNB type in the install menu is set to Universal. I see from this LNB, that it says it is standard, but am picking up the 700+ channels when set to Universal.
Change LNB setting to standard, LO frequency of 10750, rescan.

I did just that while you were suggesting it, and when I select the 12053, there is still no sig / qual readings. Puzzling.
I am receiving that transponder with a Q of only 46 on my 90cm while most others on 97W are in the high 50's to mids 60's. Perhaps dish size or adjustment is an issue for you?

My signal reception is in the high-80s (89), and my quality is in the low 70s. Not sure that adjustment would be the issue with readings that high? My dish is a 76cm.

I get those readings, no matter which transponder I choose.

I went back up a couple of your posts...you stated to change to standard, which I did (or was), while you were typing that. Later, I reread your post, and saw to set it (the first freq) to 10750, which I went back and did, and woo-hoo, it worked. Which leads me to this question...if I set it to standard, and let it start scanning at a lower number (I believe the default first freq is a four digit number), why would it matter if I left it there, or set the first frequency to 10750? If the first freq was a lower number, wouldn't it not eventually get to the 10750, and then continue on? What's the diff of setting the first freq to 10750 as opposed to a lower number?

I went back up a couple of your posts...you stated to change to standard, which I did (or was), while you were typing that. Later, I reread your post, and saw to set it (the first freq) to 10750, which I went back and did, and woo-hoo, it worked. Which leads me to this question...if I set it to standard, and let it start scanning at a lower number (I believe the default first freq is a four digit number), why would it matter if I left it there, or set the first frequency to 10750? If the first freq was a lower number, wouldn't it not eventually get to the 10750, and then continue on? What's the diff of setting the first freq to 10750 as opposed to a lower number?

Glad that helped you! :D Here is a detailed explanation of how the Local Oscillator setting works (or doesn't if it is incorrect): http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3066757/ :)

When you're looking at the transponder frequencies in The List or at one of the several websites which list the sats and channels, the transponders with four digit frequencies are C-band transponders while those with five digit frequencies are Ku-band transponders (or Ka for some of the DBS sats). The local oscillator frequencies chosen in the receiver setup menus correspond to the C or Ku band frequencies-four digits for C and five digits for Ku-band. The thread that FTA4PA linked to is a good source of info about the LOs and the settings to choose.

Due to how LOs work, how the sat receivers use them and the basic stupidity of the sat receivers (they blindly use the info you provide), if you specify an LO frequency that doesn't correspond to the band you are configured to receive (C or Ku) and/or doesn't match the actual LO frequency of your LNB you will receive unexpected, often incorrect or misleading results (we've all been there!) when scanning the sats. You can even see duplicate channels if the settings aren't right. It can be very frustrating for new FTAers (it was for me). Looks like you're making good progress with the help from the other forum members, tho. Good luck and enjoy the hobby!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts