Minimum signal for HD on a new receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billmarc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
central Indiana
One of these other threads stated that a new HD receiver needs a 95 or higher signal to activate it for locals. I find that hard to believe. I've got trees that bring my SD receivers down to the upper 70s to the lower 80s on many of my local channels now that the trees have blossomed. Am I gonna have to go out and cut branches or what in order to upgrade to HD? Moving the dish is not an option. I figured that as long as I get a reasonable signal, which could be anything from 50 on up, and I have a picture, that was all I needed.

from an installer standpoint, if your talking an hddvr, the IVR will fail with that signal strength... will the receiver still work... maybe... probably.... does d* want it to... no....

If the highest you're getting is 70's to lower 80's, you'll have a ton of problems with the new HD channels. You'll always have a few low ones, but you're going to want high 80's to mid 90's to get consistent performance.

Actually if his signal is at a constant 70% he should have no problem what so ever. There is no difference in the ability to watch HD with a 70% or 100% signal. In fact if it's above 20% you will still be watching TV.

If it drops below 20% then peaks back to 70% you will have problems. I speak from experience. I had the "wintertime-iced over roof-dish at the peak of the roof-need to realign the dish" blues. For the couple of weeks that I was unable to get to the dish I constantly monitored the signal levels & the 103 was around the 24 mark--I still was watching all the HD channels. When the storm clouds rolled in & the signals would drop down under 20 -- thats when the channels would break up. I was actually suprised at how well the channels came in with the signal in the mid 20s.

Obviously a 70% signal will drop to zero faster than a 100% signal &
in a perfect world you would have 100% signal all the time, but it is a myth to say that you will have trouble with a 70% signal. The reason you want the highest possible signal is so that you have less of a chance of rain fade.

If his signal is in the 70's, he is going to lose those channels everytime it rains.

Every time the wind blows, every time a bug lands on the dish.....

Actually if his signal is at a constant 70% he should have no problem what so ever. There is no difference in the ability to watch HD with a 70% or 100% signal. In fact if it's above 20% you will still be watching TV.

If it drops below 20% then peaks back to 70% you will have problems. I speak from experience. I had the "wintertime-iced over roof-dish at the peak of the roof-need to realign the dish" blues. For the couple of weeks that I was unable to get to the dish I constantly monitored the signal levels & the 103 was around the 24 mark--I still was watching all the HD channels. When the storm clouds rolled in & the signals would drop down under 20 -- thats when the channels would break up. I was actually suprised at how well the channels came in with the signal in the mid 20s.

Obviously a 70% signal will drop to zero faster than a 100% signal &
in a perfect world you would have 100% signal all the time, but it is a myth to say that you will have trouble with a 70% signal. The reason you want the highest possible signal is so that you have less of a chance of rain fade.

The signal in the 20's that still worked fine was probably on a Sat or TP that had nothing to do with what you were watching.

Don't freak this guy out. My dish is partially covered by trees and a roof overhang. I get anywhere from 68% - 100% on clear days. When the heavy heavy rains come in, I get around 20% - 60% and still get SD/HD channels without a problem. I would agree that under 20% is when it starts to get pixelated. You just need to understand that the new HD channels are transmitted on a different frequency than SD. This frequency has a smaller "width" that is more susceptible [FONT=&quot][/FONT]to rainfaid and dish movement due to wind. I would say make sure that it's solidly installed and properly tuned.

Last thought... if it's a clear day and you're getting 50% or below, you might be out of luck during storms.

Every time the wind blows, every time a bug lands on the dish.....

The signal in the 20's that still worked fine was probably on a Sat or TP that had nothing to do with what you were watching.

Are the HD channels not on the 99 & 103 sats? My signals on transponders on the 103 were the only ones in the 20s. A few HD channels were the only ones that I lost when the signal dipped below 20 on the 103.

If you read the OP he already has some signals in the 70% range & is still watching the SD channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)