Mirroring a vip722 hp signal to tv2 that has the sd signal

sjannenga

Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Michigan
This may not be worth the effort but if it is I would like to give it a try. WE are having dish network installed on Saturday.
We have 2 HD sets. So with the 722 we will have one with the hd signal and one with the sd signal. Rarely are we watching them at the same time. My question is, is it possible to mirror the hd signal to the second tv and still have it hooked up to the sd signal, so we can have the option of changing the channels when both are on. Also, if you record something in one room are you able to replay it in either room even if it is not mirrored?

The component outputs and HDMI output for TV1 are active at the same time, so you can run one to your first TV and one to your second TV along with whatever output from the TV2 section you run there.

Thank you, that is definitely a possibility. I have read on this forum that people have mirrored there vip 722 to more than one tv and I was wondering how they do that. I thought there were only coax type splitters.

Consider an HDMI 1x2 splitter

I have the same situation-42" Panny in the fqmily room and a 23" Samsung on the other side of the wall in a breakfast room. I considered using the component output , but I didn't want to fight all those cables through the wall. After reading up on this forum, I decided to try a 1x2 HDMI splitter even though there seems to be LOTS of problems getting them to work right when lots of different a/v equipment is involved.

My deal was simply getting HD output to two TV's. Nothing fancy.

I bought a #4921 1x2 HDMI splitter ($59) and a 15' HDMI cable ($22) from Monoprice and the video is perfect. But the biggest improvement was in the audio on the little Samsung. It always sounded tinny with no depth. The digital audio brought it to life!

Yes, you can run the SD with RCA cables from the TV2 out on the receiver to TV2 and your HDMI from the splitter goes to the HDMI input on TV2. Use the HDMI in single mode to watch the same thing on both TV's. In single mode you'll watch the input on TV2 that you ran the RCA cables to. Works great.

And yes, you can watch anything on the DVR on either TV, Neat thing is if you record in HD, you can view on TV2 in HD using the HDMI input.

Go for it!

Maybe I'm out of touch, but that's the first time I've seen a product like that. Looks like it digitizes an HD analog signal, encodes it with MPEG-2, and then generates a QAM-modulated signal that any QAM-capable digital tuner can tune.

For a long time people in this forum have been saying that an 8VSB (and by extension QAM) modulator would be cost prohibitive at the consumer level. Here is one packaged with the other parts needed to capture and compress HD for about four hundred bucks. Too bad it can't do native resolution pass-thru, then it would be really interesting.

Edit: Ooops, $400 is for the ZvBox 100, the 150 is $999. Still, it's the first device for the home I've seen that modulates a DTV signal for tuning by another TV.

Last edited:

Ch in red...

New VIP 612

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)