Mislead by directv with local channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gregau33

Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Hi,

I recently had Directv installed at my home. Before I ordered, I checked to see if local channels were offered in my zip, and I have NO local channels at all, which I can understand... I guess. But the problem is, when I was on the phone, the person who sold the Directv package to me said that I can get the New York City "local" channels for my ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC THE SAME DAY they installed my dish. I asked if he was sure, since I know you have to have the waivers approved which can take a long time. But, he put me on hold and asked a "manager" if they could give me my "local" New York channels, and he said his manager approved it.

So I'm sure you know where I'm getting at, but I have NO ABC, Fox, CBS, NBC. I just feel really used by what I was told when ordering my service. I do have a question though, the next town down the road has ALL local (HD) channels. My parents actually live in this town. Would it be possible for me to call Directv and tell them that I have moved to my parents adress so I can get the local channels I was promised? Is there a way they can tell that my HD boxes and satellite aren't at my parents address?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi,

I recently had Directv installed at my home. Before I ordered, I checked to see if local channels were offered in my zip, and I have NO local channels at all, which I can understand... I guess. But the problem is, when I was on the phone, the person who sold the Directv package to me said that I can get the New York City "local" channels for my ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC THE SAME DAY they installed my dish. I asked if he was sure, since I know you have to have the waivers approved which can take a long time. But, he put me on hold and asked a "manager" if they could give me my "local" New York channels, and he said his manager approved it.

So I'm sure you know where I'm getting at, but I have NO ABC, Fox, CBS, NBC. I just feel really used by what I was told when ordering my service. I do have a question though, the next town down the road has ALL local (HD) channels. My parents actually live in this town. Would it be possible for me to call Directv and tell them that I have moved to my parents adress so I can get the local channels I was promised? Is there a way they can tell that my HD boxes and satellite aren't at my parents address?

Thanks,

Greg

You can tell Directv you have moved, many people do. Technically it's against the terms of your service, but you can do it. Pensacola gets hd locals and you are most likely to be within the footprint of the spot beam the local channels are on. If you tell Directv you have already moved and have the dish set up, they should simply give you those channels. You might want to wait a week or two so that is doesn't seem suspicious.

Thanks for the response. Is there any way possible Directv can track the box down and tell i'm not within the zip code though?

No, as long as you don't plug in the phone line.

you can leave the phone line plugged in. I did for the 4 years I "moved" and had no issues

Sure you can, but if Directv decided to check the number it could be problematic. Why look for trouble?

Sure you can, but if Directv decided to check the number it could be problematic.

How? With today's VOIP/number portability, ANY # can be located ANYWHERE, so it isn't going to tell them much. As long as you are not using a number on another D* account, risk is basically non-existent.

I've been moved for 5+ years w/phone, as well as many of my clients - never a problem with any of them.

How? With today's VOIP/number portability, ANY # can be located ANYWHERE, so it isn't going to tell them much. As long as you are not using a number on another D* account, risk is basically non-existent.

I've been moved for 5+ years w/phone, as well as many of my clients - never a problem with any of them.

If the number that comes up on caller id shows it is from an address different than the service address, it could cause problems. Why take that chance? Just don't plug in the phone.

If the number that comes up on caller id shows it is from an address different than the service address, it could cause problems. Why take that chance? Just don't plug in the phone.

OK again, how IS D* going to know this? They can't call the local phone co. to find out the "service address" of the phone #. (you know, that little privacy policy thing DOES apply to D*, just as if YOU were going to try to find this out) And again, with VOIP, service addresses are meaningless today. Have you actually heard of ONE instance where D* has done this? (I HIGHLY doubt it)

If you really think all this with the "helicopters & tin foil hats", then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...

You'll be fine with your phone line plugged in.
I did it for years before D* had HD locals.
D* doesn't care what you do as long as they aren't the ones at fault.
You lie about your address, thats beyond D*.
Thats all on you now.
But again service calls you need to move back, and too many moves could make for too many questions.

the only issue with phone is if you have 1 RX hooked to one phone number and another hooked to a different phone number. that one throws up a big red flag. as long as all hook to the same line, it don't matter.

but it's a moot point anyway you do not need to have the LL hooked up at all unless you order PPV via remote. we only order it via dtv.com because that way it would play on all rx, not just the one you order from. or at least that is how it used to work, i have not ordered a ppv in 2-3 years now.

the only issue with phone is if you have 1 RX hooked to one phone number and another hooked to a different phone number. that one throws up a big red flag. as long as all hook to the same line, it don't matter.

Never through a flag for me, I used Vonage for both my HR's and my Verizon Fax line for my 2 SD DVRs. I do the same right now with my E* equipment. Never a peep.

OK again, how IS D* going to know this? They can't call the local phone co. to find out the "service address" of the phone #. (you know, that little privacy policy thing DOES apply to D*, just as if YOU were going to try to find this out) And again, with VOIP, service addresses are meaningless today. Have you actually heard of ONE instance where D* has done this? (I HIGHLY doubt it)

If you really think all this with the "helicopters & tin foil hats", then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...

There is this thing called reverse phone lookup that IF Directv wanted to, they could check the phone number associated with your account. It's pretty easy to find out where a particular number is located. I'm not saying they would, but they could. Again, why take the chance?

COULD THEY BE REFERRING TO.....

Are you getting the abc east, nbc east, fox east channels on the 380's and 390's? If you are that will probably be the locals that they were talking about coming from new york city. I know when my local abc affiliate was not in hd, they added the abc west hd feed from los angeles and I'm up north by the san francisco area.

There is this thing called reverse phone lookup that IF Directv wanted to, they could check the phone number associated with your account. It's pretty easy to find out where a particular number is located. I'm not saying they would, but they could. Again, why take the chance?

I've worked in telecommunications for the past 1/4 century, & am VERY much aware of "that thing called reverse phone lookup", thank you. Again, you must not understand the concept of VOIP service, which pretty much makes RPL a moot point these days. Because of this, D* obviously does NOT use this to try & track people down - if they did, you WOULD have heard about people getting caught a LONG time ago.
And if you have ANY experience in telecom, D* will NOT be able to get address info on anyone's phone# from any telco, since they will NOT give that info out to any 3rd party that just asks for it. So again, as long as YOUR box is not on another D* customer's phone line, they could care less about the origin of the number.

It's NOT a big chance anyone IS taking, as several people here keep trying to tell you...

Last edited:
ok so so you're saying that if they decided to check the box and its located in a zip code, and the phone number isn't for the zip code it will cause issues?
i don't believe so!
i now have directv. did have dish network
but i have my receive plugged into a phoneline
i live in a weird area.
i have a zip code for bluefield, wv and a phone number for princeton, wv
for example
24701 is a bluefield zip code, but my phone number starts out as 304-487-**** which is a Princeton phone number.
this happens because of where i live.
so if what you are saying about the phoneline,, moving thing
then it will cause problems for me, even though im legit now.

that doesnt relly make any sense at all!

unless you pay for "unlisted" and/or "unpublished" your address is associated with your phone number & is public information. there is no expected privacy & DTV does not have to ask the phone company for this information. When an 800 # is called they know exactly who is calling them.

I've worked in telecommunications for the past 1/4 century, & am VERY much aware of "that thing called reverse phone lookup", thank you. Again, you must not understand the concept of VOIP service, which pretty much makes RPL a moot point these days. Because of this, D* obviously does NOT use this to try & track people down - if they did, you WOULD have heard about people getting caught a LONG time ago.
And if you have ANY experience in telecom, D* will NOT be able to get address info on anyone's phone# from any telco, since they will NOT give that info out to any 3rd party that just asks for it. So again, as long as YOUR box is not on another D* customer's phone line, they could care less about the origin of the number.

It's NOT a big chance anyone IS taking, as several people here keep trying to tell you...

I never said there was a big chance of getting caught! BTW, 411.com is an easy way to get many phone numbers/addresses if you want them. Another is zabasearch.com. I know that VOIP isn't traceable like a regular connection, but how many people use it? You seem to want to put words in my mouth! :rolleyes: I am simply erring on the side of caution. Perhaps we should just agree to disagree.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)