Missing Retro TV Shows :-(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Well, no word on the FTA system. Been watching for an email confirmation number. Nothing yet. I need to stay away from the Titan TV site, as I keep planning what I am going to watch, even before I have the system :)

Chill Larry

When I ordered my stuff, it took about a week. if the item is back ordered, it may take a little longer. Don't worry, it's coming

Thanks for the encourgment! I feel like I am waiting for Christmas :) I only ordered it mid week last week :) It just seems so long when waiting for it :)

You are actually supposed to watch stuff on the FTA system?

Why didn't someone tell me!!!??? I've only been using mine to motor around and blind scan all day.

I have had my system for over a year now and have yet to sit down and actually watch a program. I spend most of my time performing blind scans and moving from satellite to satellite. It drives the wife nuts! This is why I continue doing it. :) The coolest thing I have ever seen on FTA was the Buck Owens funeral. It was live and you actually saw him laying in the casket. FTA is great. :)

That is how I was when I had a nice expensive shortwave radio and ham gear. I could cover every frequency from dc to daylight, and I had to always scan! I never did listen to anything more than a few minutes :)

Well it sounds like I'm not alone here as I would rather tinker with the equipment then watch any amount. I am a ham too and never talked much just took things apart and put them back together,

Dave

Ham operators have a field day where you rack up points for contacting other stations. We need to have a North American FTA day where we have a competition for finding the most stations. If you wind up in the top five, you have to send in a vhs tape verifying the stations. Winner is crowned king of the Clark belt.

TiminMb said:
Ham operators have a field day where you rack up points for contacting other stations. We need to have a North American FTA day where we have a competition for finding the most stations. If you wind up in the top five, you have to send in a vhs tape verifying the stations. Winner is crowned king of the Clark belt.
Sounds like a good idea to me. One question though, what's a VHS tape? :D

Pepper said:
Sounds like a good idea to me. One question though, what's a VHS tape? :D
"In the ol' days, we didn't have any internet, we didn't have any fancy-shmancy DVRs, we didn't have any digital video. We had VHS videotape. It looked like CR@P, and we LIKED it!" :D

Tron said:
"In the ol' days, we didn't have any internet, we didn't have any fancy-shmancy DVRs, we didn't have any digital video. We had VHS videotape. It looked like CR@P, and we LIKED it!" :D

yeah and we finaly figure out how to set the clock on the vcr they changed the format.LOL:haha

Ahhh the "old" days! Lets see... we had a black and white tv, channels 7, 9 and sometime the public station. CBS on 2 was iffy. I found as a child growing up in the early 70's that if I put a wad of tinfoil on the rabbit ears, I could pick up a "distant" out of market station :) So we had about 3 channels on tv, no vcr's, no internet, (I had Qlink and local BBS's in the 80's), we did not have to pay upwards of $100 a month to watch tv, I was content with the programs on tv (the reason I am getting fta - retro tv), and, we made our own sound effects while playing with our toys :) Give me a scrap piece of wood and some nails and I was entertained for hours :)

Last edited:
iafirebuff said:
Ahhh the "old" days! Lets see... we had a black and white tv, channels 7, 9 and sometime the public station. CBS on 2 was iffy. I found as a child growing up in the early 70's that if I put a wad of tinfoil on the rabbit ears, I could pick up a "distant" out of market station :) So we had about 3 channels on tv, no vcr's, no internet, (I had Qlink and local BBS's in the 80's), we did not have to pay upwards of $100 a month to watch tv, I was content with the programs on tv (the reason I am getting fts - retro tv), and, we made our own sound effects while playing with our toys :) Give me a scrap piece of wood and some nails and I was entertained for hours :)

amen!!!!:)

iafirebuff said:
Ahhh the "old" days! Lets see... we had a black and white tv, channels 7, 9 and sometime the public station. CBS on 2 was iffy. I found as a child growing up in the early 70's that if I put a wad of tinfoil on the rabbit ears, I could pick up a "distant" out of market station :) So we had about 3 channels on tv, no vcr's, no internet, (I had Qlink and local BBS's in the 80's), we did not have to pay upwards of $100 a month to watch tv, I was content with the programs on tv (the reason I am getting fta - retro tv), and, we made our own sound effects while playing with our toys :) Give me a scrap piece of wood and some nails and I was entertained for hours :)

so true...except we had only 2 stations (CBS & PBS) where I use to live
Moved to the outskirts of the Twin Cities and was amazed we could get 5 channels
(PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, IND...2,4,5,9,11)
on Saturday mornings we would get Channel 12 from Mankato (CBS) some 55 miles away
then we got a station that you needed a "loop" antenna for (29)
then this new network called "Fox" came along

When I had my room in our basement when I was a teenager - early 80's, I hooked some 300 ohm antenna wire to my suspended ceiling's metal ttracks and reception improved alot ;-) Then in 1984 with my paper route money, I subscribed to cable tv! My folks would not pay for tv. My dad was a career firefighter, so since all city buildings had cable tv in them, whenever he was at work (24 hour shifts), he had cable to watch :) but we went without! :) So I subcribed to it. Weird deal, as I signed the contract - the cable co didnt care :)

We had one CBS station up until 1965 when we got an NBC station, didn't get an ABC station until 1973, it's changed ownership a few times and is now FOX. A town of 70+ thousand and no ABC station:confused: . Back in the 50s and 60s on a good night we could get CBS (WISH 8), NBC (WFBM 6) and WLWI (ABC 13) from Indianapolis and an Indpendent (WTTV 4) from Bloomington. The thing I remember about those days was the "old man" had an antenna on about a 20 foot pole outside the front room window and he kept a pipe wrench on the window sill, when he wanted to change stations he would latch on to the pole with the wrench and turn that antenna until what he wanted came in. Whenever he was watching Channel 13 for some reason when a Ford would go down the street it would screw up the picture until it got by the house. Man, would he bitch, went to his grave hating Henry's pride and joy.

Last edited:
Talk about a homemade rotor! I LOVE IT! The neighbor across the street had a CB radio, a hugh beam and I know (now as a licensed amateur op) a LOT more than 4 watts! So, everytime he keyed up, channel 2 would scramble, and we would hear him talking! He even came across our electric organ's speaker!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)