missing several channels with new HD equip

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ladotz

Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
upstate ny
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight or guidance. I just went from SD to HD (trying to anyway :D). I'm now using a SL5 and HR24 receiver. I am able to get 101, 110, and 119 in the 90s or better but 103(ca) is at mid 80s, 103(s) has 2 of 16 transponders at 77 (the rest are at 0), 99(s) ranges from 56 to 80 on 3 of 16 transponders, 99(c) is all 0s

Ultimately I am missing many channels including the local HD channels. I was getting everything with my 3 lnb oval SD dish.

Can someone tell me if this is an adjustment issue or perhaps a bad lnb? I thought I read on here that if I'm getting 101, 110, and 119 I'm probably at least close on alignment.

I really appreciate any input or guidance. Thank you very much!!

C

Brisak is right about the adjustments, they can be tricky and it takes patience to get good signal strength numbers. You do have the bbcs connected, yes?

The signal strengths are far from passing, but they shouldn't interfere with fair weather viewing.

We need some clarification on specifically what channels you're missing and whether you still get all the SD channels you had before.

Brisak, Chip, Harshness thanks for your response. OK, I don't have the bbcs connected because I was told by the Direc tv folks they weren't needed with the HR 24 box. (they didn't come with the receiver and I asked when I activated it). I am not getting all the SD channels I was getting before I hooked up the HR24 receiver. I'm not sure of all the channels but I know I'm missing the local channels that I was getting before and HBO 501, 504, cinemax 515, 516, starz525,526,527,528,529

But I just did a little more searching and I'm thinking I should get some BBCs... are they required for the HR24?

Last edited:
They are required unless you are using a swm setup. Check the lnb. Is there a model number on it? Normally if a customer is using a swm setup they have more than one receiver/dvr. If it is a swm setup, do you have a power inserter? If not, you need one. It supplies power to the lnb. Without it the receiver/dvr tries to do it but they don't have enough voltage to do it correctly. Let us know! Oh, and :welcome to Satelliteguys!

Chip, IF he's using a SWM and doesn't have the PI, I don't think he'll actually get anything, the recvr won't fo past the Searching stage as it won't have the power to the LNB..... at least thats what I found while playing with the SWM/ Non SWM set ups.

OP, as previously mentioned, you do need the BBC's to get your HD channels on the H/HR24's .... actually on ALL D* branded recvrs except the 23's.

The premium channels may be an authorization issue.

I'd get DIRECTV involved as it sounds like you have an incomplete install.

Do you have any receivers other than the HR24?

What local stations (by call letters) are you missing? Are HD versions available through DIRECTV?

Rather than scrambling up on the roof to see what distribution technology you have been set up it is easier to just count how many RG6 cables come out of it. If there are four cables, it is probably not SWM and BBCs are required. If there is a single cable, you have SWM and the BBCs aren't required.

Chip, IF he's using a SWM and doesn't have the PI, I don't think he'll actually get anything, the recvr won't fo past the Searching stage as it won't have the power to the LNB..... at least thats what I found while playing with the SWM/ Non SWM set ups.

OP, as previously mentioned, you do need the BBC's to get your HD channels on the H/HR24's .... actually on ALL D* branded recvrs except the 23's.

IIRC, I have seen some posts where there is no PI but it works anyway. Of course, the receiver/dvr is going to burn up the power supply because it doesn't have enough voltage to run the lnb properly.

The premium channels may be an authorization issue.

I'd get DIRECTV involved as it sounds like you have an incomplete install.

Do you have any receivers other than the HR24?

What local stations (by call letters) are you missing? Are HD versions available through DIRECTV?

Rather than scrambling up on the roof to see what distribution technology you have been set up it is easier to just count how many RG6 cables come out of it. If there are four cables, it is probably not SWM and BBCs are required. If there is a single cable, you have SWM and the BBCs aren't required.

Even easier, how many cables are there going into the dvr ladotz? One means a swm, probably, and two means no swm.

If it is a SWM setup I highly doubt the installer would have made it past the activation stage at install without the 21v PI

Like I posted previously, I have read about SWM installations without a PI working for a short time. The receiver/dvr will power the lnb, but not for long since they don't have the proper voltage. Until we hear back from the op we won't know for sure if he has a SWM setup or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)