Missing Timers

vipul128

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
I posted in the problems thread but didn't get any response there so I thought I'd start a new thread to get some visibility since this is a pretty huge problem:

Had a really weird thing happen today:

My wife had about 12 episodes of a single show recorded and wanted me to show her how to delete them. I proceeded to click the red button for options, then manage recordings, then selected the folder of shows and hit delete to delete all of them. The episodes deleted just fine.

Later on that night she asked me why her show didn't record that night. We went through and looked at the timers and the timer for that show was missing all together. It seems like deleting the whole folder of episodes for that show somehow also deleted the timer as it was nowhere to be found in the list of timers.

Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas on what might have happened?

=================================================================

I have an update to the post above and it's not good news.

I arrived home this morning from work to find my wife complaining about 2 more daily timers that just magically vanished. I'm not sure if these might be related to deleting the recorded shows or not. But she complained again that her shows didn't record and I checked the timers and found that these timers also were missing. So that brings us to 3 timers that are missing now out of nowhere.

I performed a reboot of the hopper.

At this point, this is becoming a major show-stopping issue. I know that we here are among the first to get the new hopper and as such should expect some problems. But to have issues such as this where timers just delete themselves is pretty bad. While I can understand the growing pains that come with new technology, the rest of my family is not as forgiving. Especially with such a basic feature of recording shows.

Reading through the forums here, it seems that the main culprit might very well be the new Carbon UI which seems as if it's in Beta and not really ready for prime time. I really hope they fix all these issues soon as it's getting harder and harder to justify the upgrade to the family and explain that everything will get better soon when they are missing their daily recorded shows.

Sorry for the rant, just kind of annoyed but with an understanding of knowing it will eventually be fixed.

Another update:

Found another 2 timers that magically disappeared today. I've asked everyone in the house and nobody has deleted the timers. It seems as if when you delete a DVR recording for a show, it also deletes the timer. At least that's the best guess that I have. In any case, this is a huge issue that needs to get fixed as I have some family members that are starting to get very angry at me for upgrading our equipment and not quite as understanding as they were before.

I posted in the problems thread but didn't get any response there so I thought I'd start a new thread to get some visibility since this is a pretty huge problem:

Had a really weird thing happen today:

My wife had about 12 episodes of a single show recorded and wanted me to show her how to delete them. I proceeded to click the red button for options, then manage recordings, then selected the folder of shows and hit delete to delete all of them. The episodes deleted just fine.

Later on that night she asked me why her show didn't record that night. We went through and looked at the timers and the timer for that show was missing all together. It seems like deleting the whole folder of episodes for that show somehow also deleted the timer as it was nowhere to be found in the list of timers.

Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas on what might have happened?

=================================================================

I have an update to the post above and it's not good news.

I arrived home this morning from work to find my wife complaining about 2 more daily timers that just magically vanished. I'm not sure if these might be related to deleting the recorded shows or not. But she complained again that her shows didn't record and I checked the timers and found that these timers also were missing. So that brings us to 3 timers that are missing now out of nowhere.

I performed a reboot of the hopper.

At this point, this is becoming a major show-stopping issue. I know that we here are among the first to get the new hopper and as such should expect some problems. But to have issues such as this where timers just delete themselves is pretty bad. While I can understand the growing pains that come with new technology, the rest of my family is not as forgiving. Especially with such a basic feature of recording shows.

Reading through the forums here, it seems that the main culprit might very well be the new Carbon UI which seems as if it's in Beta and not really ready for prime time. I really hope they fix all these issues soon as it's getting harder and harder to justify the upgrade to the family and explain that everything will get better soon when they are missing their daily recorded shows.

Sorry for the rant, just kind of annoyed but with an understanding of knowing it will eventually be fixed.
I remember seeing an option somewhere when deleting timers that you can also delete future recordings. I can't remember how it's actually displayed and it might be the default. It should NOT be the default but it may be that way now. I'm pretty sure there's a way around it.

I remember seeing an option somewhere when deleting timers that you can also delete future recordings. I can't remember how it's actually displayed and it might be the default. It should NOT be the default but it may be that way now. I'm pretty sure there's a way around it.
I think something isnt quite right in your text - if you delete a timer, there will be NO "future recordings"

Correction: If you delete a recording ....

Correction: If you delete a recording ....

So do you happen to know where that setting is on the Hopper 3 because I can't seem to find it? Doesn't quite make sense that this would even be an option. If I delete a recording that usually means I've watched it, not that I want to also delete the timer that goes along with it. If I wanted to delete the timer I'd go to the timers and delete it.

So do you happen to know where that setting is on the Hopper 3 because I can't seem to find it? Doesn't quite make sense that this would even be an option. If I delete a recording that usually means I've watched it, not that I want to also delete the timer that goes along with it. If I wanted to delete the timer I'd go to the timers and delete it.
I've never seen such a thing but nothing would surprise me.

I can't find what I though I saw. I did deletes of individual episodes and all and nothing I did erased timers or presented an option to do so (or not). Guess I was hallucinating.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Starting to get annoying having to recreate all these timers that keep disappearing.

Bringing this thread back to life:

So, our house is still continually having issues with timers disappearing or timers not recording. A lot of the issues seem to be happening on DAILY timers. This meaning that we have a bunch of timers set to record a specific show every day of the week at the same time. This is NOT a manual timer, but a DAILY timer. (And yes, the only way to record the shows in question are to use a daily timer as they are shows on international channels that occur 7 days a week and usually do not indicate that it is a new episode so using the record all new episodes feature will not work. Also, using the record all will not work either as there are multiple reruns throughout the day of the same episode.)

With these timers, either the show won't record at all even though it still shows up in the guide or the timer will just randomly disappear and will have to be recreated.

Also, we got this weird screen this evening around 7:30 (see attached screenshot). At the time only 6 of 16 tuners were in use. I went back and checked to make sure that the timer was set to DVR and not to TUNE. We clicked ALLOW on the box, but the show still did not record even though there were 10 other tuners still available.

This is getting beyond annoying. I know we're pretty much the early adopter crowd, but this is basic DVR functionality that's being messed up. I mean, I have folder issues like the others, but that's something that I can deal with. Losing timers, and missing recordings to me is a basic feature that shouldn't be messed up.

Scott, Vivek, or any of the other Dish guys that monitor these forums, do you have any info on when this Hopper will actually be usable with very few flaws? At this point, my family is basically told me that they are sick of their shows not recording and want to go back to the old way of having a 612 in each room.

Thanks for allowing me to rant and hope to hear something hopefully!

Attachments

• IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    515.5 KB · Views: 282
Bringing this thread back to life:

So, our house is still continually having issues with timers disappearing or timers not recording. A lot of the issues seem to be happening on DAILY timers. This meaning that we have a bunch of timers set to record a specific show every day of the week at the same time. This is NOT a manual timer, but a DAILY timer. (And yes, the only way to record the shows in question are to use a daily timer as they are shows on international channels that occur 7 days a week and usually do not indicate that it is a new episode so using the record all new episodes feature will not work. Also, using the record all will not work either as there are multiple reruns throughout the day of the same episode.)

With these timers, either the show won't record at all even though it still shows up in the guide or the timer will just randomly disappear and will have to be recreated.

Also, we got this weird screen this evening around 7:30 (see attached screenshot). At the time only 6 of 16 tuners were in use. I went back and checked to make sure that the timer was set to DVR and not to TUNE. We clicked ALLOW on the box, but the show still did not record even though there were 10 other tuners still available.

This is getting beyond annoying. I know we're pretty much the early adopter crowd, but this is basic DVR functionality that's being messed up. I mean, I have folder issues like the others, but that's something that I can deal with. Losing timers, and missing recordings to me is a basic feature that shouldn't be messed up.

Scott, Vivek, or any of the other Dish guys that monitor these forums, do you have any info on when this Hopper will actually be usable with very few flaws? At this point, my family is basically told me that they are sick of their shows not recording and want to go back to the old way of having a 612 in each room.

Thanks for allowing me to rant and hope to hear something hopefully!

Check the number of timers you have. Mine acted similar when I transferred 194 timers into the H3. It will allow only 200 timers, so the number of available tuners will not make a difference if you are at your timer limit.

Check the number of timers you have. Mine acted similar when I transferred 194 timers into the H3. It will allow only 200 timers, so the number of available tuners will not make a difference if you are at your timer limit.

There are only 40-50 timers that are set. So I'm well below the max timer limit and don't anticipate being anywhere near it.

My wife and i have the hopper 3. We've swapped out hoppers several times. We still have shows regularly not record nowhere near the timer limit either we're sick of it. Thinking about switching to direct tv.

My wife and i have the hopper 3. We've swapped out hoppers several times. We still have shows regularly not record nowhere near the timer limit either we're sick of it. Thinking about switching to direct tv.
I've gotten in the habit of checking the schedule in the DVR menu to make sure it's going to record. So far, only Gold Rush has given me issues and only a few times - of course I have like 3 timers for it now

I've gotten in the habit of checking the schedule in the DVR menu to make sure it's going to record. So far, only Gold Rush has given me issues and only a few times - of course I have like 3 timers for it now
LOL, I do the same thing. Every Sunday morning I check the schedule for the week. Then every morning I check the day's schedule. Then in the afternoon I check again for that nite's schedule. Got to keep the wife off my a--! :coco

DirecTV is not immune to this problem. I'd also consider the facts that the normal DirecTV Genie only has 5 tuners, no PTAT, no MultiView, no DISH Anywhere, and not much of anything else either.

I also have to babysit my timers every day. Hell I've set a timer a day before that didn't fire, name change, something.
I have a favorites channel list I made for the usual recorded channels, makes it easier checking every day.
Getting old for sure, wish it would work like it did before April.

I also have to babysit my timers every day. Hell I've set a timer a day before that didn't fire, name change, something.
I have a favorites channel list I made for the usual recorded channels, makes it easier checking every day.
Getting old for sure, wish it would work like it did before April.

Ohhh, nice idea!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts