MLB 2008 Season

Waiver Trade Possibilities For Red Sox, Rays

By Tim Dierkes [August 14 at 10:38am CST]
The Red Sox, three games behind the Rays in the standings, have the advantage when it comes to waiver claims. Both teams are dealing with injured third basemen for the next few weeks, and may choose to bring in some veteran assistance.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe names four players who may be of interest to the Red Sox and Rays: Rich Aurilia, Mark Loretta, Gary Sheffield, and Kevin Millar.
Even after he clears waivers, a deal for Sheffield seems unlikely. The Rays have already expressed their disinterest. Sheffield doesn't expect a deal, noting that he's been put on waivers many times. Cafardo says the Rays do have interest in Aurilia, while the other names are speculation for both teams.

The White Sox hit four consecutive homeruns this afternoon. Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Alexei Ramirez, and Juan Uribe all went deep in the sixth inning against the Royals.

The White Sox hit four consecutive homeruns this afternoon. Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Alexei Ramirez, and Juan Uribe all went deep in the sixth inning against the Royals.

Too bad my boy Carlos Quentin didn't get into the act.

I'll bet it got pretty sickening listening to Hawk and his "PUT IT ON THE BOARD.....YESSSSSS!!!!! for four consecutive times....and I'm sure each one an octave higher.:eek:

Too bad my boy Carlos Quentin didn't get into the act.

I'll bet it got pretty sickening listening to Hawk and his "PUT IT ON THE BOARD.....YESSSSSS!!!!! for four consecutive times....and I'm sure each one an octave higher.:eek:

OMG, I know it. No announcer has EVER gotten on my nerves as much as that guy! Not. Even. Close.

THIS JUST IN: The Texas Rangers pitching staff is AWFULLLLLL!!!! The Red Sox just put up 9 runs in the second inning. :eek:

manram trims it up for tonight's game:
manram081408b.jpg

This is not new to me.

My high-school team at Tremper had better pitching.

Oh, and did Boston's pitching fare better after what happened on Tuesday?

Red Sox win, 10-0. They scored 37 runs in the three game sweep.

Red Sox are now 7-0 vs. the Rangers this year (they play a three game series in Sept. at Texas). Dice-K in now 14-2 on the year.

He has earned his money.

BTW, White Sox hit 4 homers in a row today, though it did come against the putrid Royals.

I'm sure you remember when Boston did it last year- that was when Manny was not screwing up.

Yup, I mentioned that in a post above.

Mark Kotsay became only the second Braves player ever to hit for the cycle...................but, the Braves lost to the Cubs anyway, 11-7. The Cubbies outscored the Braves in the three game sweep, 29-9.

Bill, I have been debating to myself about whether I should give up on the A's.

Everytime I promise not to sever my Oakland ties, they get rid of another star player.

What do you think?

I don't want to sound like a bandwagon jupmer, but I can't keep hoping that Oakland will HOLD ON to a player.

If I know Beane, he'll trade Cust for five prospects and a hot-dog vendor.

How can you consistently even follow the A's or any team on the West coast when you live in Wisconsin? Unless you have the MLB package and routinely stay up until 2am, I would just find that a tough thing to do.

You would think the Brewers would be your team of choice since they're more local, no?

Another choice would be the Indians. Since you're originally from Buffalo, the Indians do have ties to that area. The Indians AAA affiliate, the Buffalo Bison have played in that city for years.

How can you consistently even follow the A's or any team on the West coast when you live in Wisconsin? Unless you have the MLB package and routinely stay up until 2am, I would just find that a tough thing to do.

You would think the Brewers would be your team of choice since they're more local, no?

Another choice would be the Indians. Since you're originally from Buffalo, the Indians do have ties to that area. The Indians AAA affiliate, the Buffalo Bison have played in that city for years.

When I started collected baseball cards in 1999-ish, the A's cards seemed to look really cool with their uniforms and I followed them on Baseball Tonight and the internet scores/recaps.

They ran off a streak of winning seasons and had some good players and did it with a farm system, until Beane sold his entire starting nine for some magic beans.

Richie Sexson Waived

By Tim Dierkes [August 15 at 1:57pm CST]

The New York Post writes of a minor shakeup for the Yankees. They're cutting Richie Sexson and demoting Melky Cabrera to the minors in favor of Brett Gardner and Cody Ransom.
Sexson received 35 plate appearances from the Yankees, hitting .250/.371/.393.

Minor shakeup??? :confused: Me thinks it's a little more than that! The Cabrera demotion is the thing that surprises me.

KCK,
sorry man..........tough loss for your Halos!

Angels SS Izturis to have season-ending thumb surgery
Aug. 15, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports
9700-55342-1877-4

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]CLEVELAND -- Los Angeles Angels shortstop Maicer Izturis will miss the rest of the season after tearing a ligament in his left thumb. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Izturis aggravated the injury Wednesday and is scheduled to be operated on next Tuesday by Dr. Steve Shin, who will repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament. The Angels expect the 27-year-old Izturis to be ready for spring training. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"It's a tough loss," manager Mike Scioscia said Friday. "We feel terrible for Izzy. We have to move on, but he's an important part of what we've done." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Izturis originally sprained the thumb Aug. 1 and missed eight of the next nine games, but didn't go on the DL. He was hurt again while diving for a ground ball in the ninth inning of Wednesday night's loss to Seattle. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A switch-hitter, he hit .269 this year with three homers, 27 RBI and 11 stolen bases in 79 games. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Scioscia said that Erick Aybar will get the bulk of the playing time at shortstop, with Sean Rodriguez in reserve. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Los Angeles put Izturis on the 15-day disabled list and recalled first baseman Kendry Morales from Triple-A Salt Lake. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Morales, also a switch-hitter, was batting .338 with 14 homers and 58 RBI [/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)