MLB 2012-13 off-season notes & transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the greatest hitters go into slumps. But when that player can draw a walk and then steal a base, that is also a weapon.

For years the Red Sox could score runs with the best of them, but they had ZERO championships in 86 years to show for it. They finally won the World Series in 2004, and the biggest play of the season was a stolen base by Dave Roberts (acquired at the trade deadline) in the ALCS. Stolen bases, and baserunning in general, is a HUGE part of the game!

Stole my thunder! :p That stolen base by Roberts, a picture perfect hook slide, change the momentum, the series and the fortune of an entire franchise....and city. The Cardinals of the 80s and the Royals of the 70s and even my beloved childhood team(and NEW team once again as long as Loria owns the Marlins), the Big Red Machine... Had gazelles like Griffey, Morgan and smart base runners like Rose and Concepcion and Geronimo. Then the 90s Red had Dave Collins, Billy Hatcher and Eric Davis..and smart base stealers like Chris Sabo and Herm Winningham. Speed first then power... God I loved those teams.

Stole my thunder! :p That stolen base by Roberts, a picture perfect hook slide, change the momentum, the series and the fortune of an entire franchise....and city. The Cardinals of the 80s and the Royals of the 70s and even my beloved childhood team(and NEW team once again as long as Loria owns the Marlins), the Big Red Machine... Had gazelles like Griffey, Morgan and smart base runners like Rose and Concepcion and Geronimo. Then the 90s Red had Dave Collins, Billy Hatcher and Eric Davis..and smart base stealers like Chris Sabo and Herm Winningham. Speed first then power... God I loved those teams.

Those Royals teams used to literally run the Red Sox off the carpet of Royals Stadium!! I think in one game, Willie Wilson had six steals against the Sox.

I don't think I have ever heard of an infielder referred to as a five tool player. I'm sure there are some that would qualify, like Lou Gehrig, but it seems to be a term reserved for outfielders.

Clank.

images

I don't think I have ever heard of an infielder referred to as a five tool player. I'm sure there are some that would qualify, like Lou Gehrig, but it seems to be a term reserved for outfielders.

Arod was considered that when he came up with the Mariners.

Baseball is a two dimensional sport in which players need to play both defense and offense. In fact it is the only sport in which the defense controls the ball. Heck, unlike other sports, most of the highlight plays are defensive. For a player to be considered great, they have to excel both defensively and offensively, with pitchers being the one exception, and why I would never consider a life long DH among the best of all time.

If one dimension really shines above the other, then they can get buy with the other being sub-par. Ozzy Smith is in the HOF for defense and there are many other players that got in for offense, but they are the best of the best at those respective dimensions.

When comparing players at any time to determine who is better, you have to look at all of their abilities and what they bring. IMO, if a player is in the top in all five aspects of the game and a second player is slightly better in just three and much worse in two, then the first player is better than the second.

Last edited:
Who cares about SB's when you can just as easily hit a double or a HR ?
Ironic considering the players we were comparing Cabrera to also hits doubles and HRs. In fact, one lead the league in HRs two years ago. In addition, they bring that extra element of speed, or the ability to turn a walk or a single into a double via a SB.

Arod was considered that when he came up with the Mariners.

He probably was. It's just hard for me to envision an infielder with an arm as strong as the best outfielders. Probably because it doesn't show like an outfielders.

Those great SS of the 90s and early 2000s.

Cabrera did play the outfield for a while. If you had a choice to build an outfield and could only choose Cabrera, Kemp, or Trout, which would you pick? Even though Trout still has to prove himself more, I would take Trout or Kemp over Cabrera.

Example of east coast bias in sports, look at the hype in the MSM over Harper compared to a much much much better player in Trout.

Cabrera did play the outfield for a while. If you had a choice to build an outfield and could only choose Cabrera, Kemp, or Trout, which would you pick? Even though Trout still has to prove himself more, I would take Trout or Kemp over Cabrera.

*Cough* Barry Larkin *Cough*

He was made an outfield due the Marlins depth at SS. GREAT arm, decent range...and that was it. Iron glove with a love for beer. His bat is scary, and so is his defense. That is why he is perfect for the American.

I would take several players over Cabrera in the outfield. You have to be able to catch the ball! Being a great offensive player isn't enough for me. I'd probably take Curtis Granderson over him in the outfield.

Baseball is a two dimensional sport in which players need to play both defense and offense. In fact it is the only sport in which the defense controls the ball. Heck, unlike other sports, most of the highlight plays are defensive. For a player to be considered great, they have to excel both defensively and offensively, with pitchers being the one exception, and why I would never consider a life long DH among the best of all time.

If one dimension really shines above the other, then they can get buy with the other being sub-par. Ozzy Smith is in the HOF for defense and there are many other players that got in for offense, but they are the best of the best at those respective dimensions.

When comparing players at any time to determine who is better, you have to look at all of their abilities and what they bring. IMO, if a player is in the top in all five aspects of the game and a second player is slightly better in just three and much worse in two, then the first player is better than the second.

Not really ....

90% of the highlights for a baseball game is someone hitting a HR, thats all the media outlets care to show.

If you have a REALLY GREAT Defensive play and you happen to be in a MAJOR market, you might get your Defensive play shown.

Then theres Web Gems, which isn't always that great of play, but they decided they need to fill 10 slots each night.

Thats not a fair question.

Of course your not gonna expect someone thats played the infield for the major majority of his career to be great in the outfield.

In the outfield, I would take Kemp ... Trout has only played for a year, could (not saying he will) be a one hit wonder, theres PLENTY of them out there, those that tore it up one year and couldn't come close the rest of thier time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)