MLB 2013-2014 off-season moves

The pitcher is the largest single factor to a win or a loss. Like the saying goes, momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher.

The pitcher is the largest single factor to a win or a loss. Like the saying goes, momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher.

You are correct. Pitching is very important, but that guy rides the pine the other 4 days. 4 mediocre pitchers will help your team more than one really expensive one.

Maybe it's me...but I guess I will never understand the thinking of paying everyday player contracts to players that only play every forth or fifth day.

That thinking may be true for teams that actually have a budget. But, teams that don't, like the Dodgers, can and will overpay to keep a player they want.

I am going to somewhat disagree. IF a pitcher fails to STOP runs from scoring, the offense can always bail him out. IF the offense fails, the best a starting pitcher can do is end his 8 or 9 innings at 0-0. In fact, to me, in some cases, relief is just as, if not more important than starting pitching.

But that's my warped thinking of course...:p

A starting pitcher throws each and every pitch when he is on the mound. A starting fielder fields a tiny fraction of that many. 162 games times 9 innings each is about 1,400 or so innings. A 200 inning starter pitches 1/7 of his team's innings, whereas a 162 game a year position player bats 1/9 of a teams at-bats. The pitcher is thus vastly more involved in each and every inning he plays than are the position players.

Payroll money is fungible. If pitchers were worth less than position players, then teams that distributed their payroll to reflect that would tend to benefit from doing so.

Maybe it's me...but I guess I will never understand the thinking of paying everyday player contracts to players that only play every forth or fifth day.
When that pitcher is the face of your franchise and the single most important factor to winning every 5th game. I saw a stat that shows an ACE pitcher directly contributes to more wins in a season than the average top position player by himself.

Average WAR numbers for top starters is higher than top position players most years, and this while playing fewer games.

Last edited:
One thing that is overlooked in this contract is his off-field contributions and his charitable work. A large portion of this money will be going to his charity.

The Dodgers on Friday pointed to a confluence of factors that made them more comfortable committing so many dollars to a starting pitcher given the risks involved. They addressed Kershaw's charitable contributions, reasons behind him winning Roberto Clemente and Branch Rickey awards, as well as his work ethic and drive. They mentioned his age; he won't turn 26 until March. They also said they were able to get insurance to cover part of their losses if Kershaw is injured during the life of the contract.

"We know all the precedents, we know the risks," Kasten said. "A big part of this, for us, was getting as much protection from insurance as we could."

The Dodgers began talking to Kershaw about an extension last March, and there were reports going into the season that they were close to a deal similar to the one he signed this week. They said the talks were slowed by the distractions of the season and then by the Dodgers' need to shore up the rest of their team through free agency and trade talks. Finally, after Kershaw filed for arbitration Tuesday, the talks heated up.

Kershaw flew to Los Angeles on Tuesday for a physical. He did not attend Friday's media conference, instead calling in from his Dallas-area home. Kershaw, who would have reached free agency next November, said he never envisioned himself pitching for another team.

"I just kind of always had a feeling that it was going to work out and I didn't really let my mind get too much past it," Kershaw said.

The pitcher has founded and supported an orphanage in the African nation of Zambia as well as starting after-school programs for underprivileged kids in both Los Angeles and Dallas. He said he plans on extending his charitable efforts with the money from the new contract.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/...mplete-clayton-kershaw-deal-not-done-spending

I am going to somewhat disagree. IF a pitcher fails to STOP runs from scoring, the offense can always bail him out. IF the offense fails, the best a starting pitcher can do is end his 8 or 9 innings at 0-0. In fact, to me, in some cases, relief is just as, if not more important than starting pitching.

But that's my warped thinking of course...:p

I agree with your thinking ... however ...

One thing I don't like in baseball is that a Starting pitcher can do just that, throw 7-8-9 innings of scoreless ball and if his offense doesn't score, you bring in another guy, your team scores a run that inning and the guy thats been in the game for an inning or less, gets the WQIN while the Starter that got them there gets nothing.

IF you could guarantee me that the starting pitcher was going to give me 50-60 starts...then I would have no issues with it. But in average...we are talking 35 starts a season, if I am not mistaken.

Yes, and it's even less now that they for some reason went to the stupid 5 man rotations.

I always thought that the 4 man rotations were great, but apparently they don't like it anymore.

When that pitcher is the face of your franchise and the single most important factor to winning every 5th game. I saw a stat that shows an ACE pitcher directly contributes to more wins in a season than the average top position player by himself.

Average WAR numbers for top starters is higher than top position players most years, and this while playing fewer games.

While I agree with your first statement ...

I question why WAR has to come up all the time ..
Your talking about a STUD pitcher, OF COURSE he's gonna be better than the "Guy they bring up from AAA" which is what they consider an AVG WAR player.

Personally, I think the WAR is blown WAY out of proportion.

Just saying ...
Nothing against you here.

While I agree with your first statement ...

I question why WAR has to come up all the time ..
Your talking about a STUD pitcher, OF COURSE he's gonna be better than the "Guy they bring up from AAA" which is what they consider an AVG WAR player.

Personally, I think the WAR is blown WAY out of proportion.

Just saying ...
Nothing against you here.
I agree that WAR is overused and not always a good indicator. But it is when comparing numbers between two completely different aspects of baseball. It is the only variable we can use to compare an offensive/defensive player to a pitcher.

In celebration of his contract here is the video from his best game last year, opening game vs Giants. He pitched a complete game shutout and hit a HR in the 8th for the first run of the game.

HR occurs at 2 hour mark.

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

Last edited by a moderator:
Something a Dodgers fan site posted on FB just a few minutes ago. In high school Kershaw pitched a perfect game striking out every single batter he faced and hit a HR. Here is a video of each K and the HR.

Last edited by a moderator:
This had me cracking up!

1476092_10202029308786592_569123952_n.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts