MLB forms economic group as regional TV in peril

:sobstory

The players should put aside cash outta those salaries. And maybe push for minor leaguers to get more than enough “to cover their expenses.”

:rolleyes

Is this scheme part of the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation? So even if the MLB Players Association goes under, they still get some percentage of their pensions? At the cost of much lower earning blue collar workers.

Reactions: SamCdbs
OTA and radio worked for 50 years or so for MLB before cable..baseball got greedy..now they pay the price...the real losers will be players and their sky high salaries
You not going to get 150 games on OTA, never happen.

It was never a full season of games on WPIX.
They even carried playoff and world series games...this was pre cable.rsn.as RSNs took over..they carried fewer games...I can't say they carried everygame but carried most and were distributed by microwave to cable systems

But one “good” hard recession, and I think sports, in their weakened state, will become the first to suffer in a major way.

A lot of sluff in today’s market. Lots of the near dead, in any retrenchment.

It was never a full season of games on WPIX.
It was for WTBS. The only games what would not be on it were those already being broadcasted nationally on one of the Big 3. We were able to see every single Braves game OTA (Ted Turner owned both the Braves and WTBS, and used the Braves games to drive ratings on his station).

The "superstation" loophole has been long since closed. It remains one of the largest mistakes MLB every made. It still negatively affects baseball's business side, decades later. Baseball is making a similar mistake today, with mlb.tv. Access to other games MUST first involve paying your fair share for the local team(s). It simply cannot be easier to follow any team, except you own.

The "superstation" loophole has been long since closed. It remains one of the largest mistakes MLB every made. It still negatively affects baseball's business side, decades later. Baseball is making a similar mistake today, with mlb.tv. Access to other games MUST first involve paying your fair share for the local team(s). It simply cannot be easier to follow any team, except you own.
Why do you want to spend everyone’s money and it reads like some kind of MLB welfare, based on what they play their players, they do not need welfare.

I will never watch the Florida’s RSN, but I get the MLB package so I can watch the Tigers ( and ESPN+ for the Red Wings), if force to pay some weird tax for the local team just so I can get the Tigers, then I will get neither.

Why do you want to spend everyone’s money and it reads like some kind of MLB welfare, based on what they play their players, they do not need welfare.

I will never watch the Florida’s RSN, but I get the MLB package so I can watch the Tigers ( and ESPN+ for the Red Wings), if force to pay some weird tax for the local team just so I can get the Tigers, then I will get neither.
That is nice.

Of course, the broadcasts of Detroit teams WOULD NOT EXIST if the costs were not first covered by Detroit region fans. Out of market packages are just gravy. It is a drop in the bucket in total team revenues. However, the RSNs are, depending on the source, something like a third of team revenue.

And not that long ago, out of market package access was cable/DBS based. You already paid your fair share for the local team(s) because you already had the local RSN.

Baseball made a huge mistake by selling mlb.tv a la carte. Most every a la carte deal in this industry is a huge mistake. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Come up with another way to cover a third of team revenue and get back to me. That is the business discussion. Not the individual preferences of individual customers.

That is nice.

Of course, the broadcasts of Detroit teams WOULD NOT EXIST if the costs were not first covered by Detroit region fans. Out of market packages are just gravy. It is a drop in the bucket in total team revenues. However, the RSNs are, depending on the source, something like a third of team revenue.

And not that long ago, out of market package access was cable/DBS based. You already paid your fair share for the local team(s) because you already had the local RSN.

Baseball made a huge mistake by selling mlb.tv a la carte. Most every a la carte deal in this industry is a huge mistake. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Come up with another way to cover a third of team revenue and get back to me. That is the business discussion. Not the individual preferences of individual customers.
It is not my job to help cover part of team revenue, specially one that I will never support, I support the team I wish to support.

By the way, the costs of MLB and ESPN+ for the year is more then the RSN fee for 12 months would be.

Not really..there were no cable channels to provide sports programming..they filled a niche

That is nice.

Cut player salaries

• Angry
Reactions: AZ.