Mlb

sdc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2003
I know the story behind the NFL package, that DIRECTV has outbid DISH for the NFL(still not sure why both companies can't show it), but will Dish ever get the MLB package? Is that kind of the same thing that ONLY DIRECTV can get baseball.

That would be the ideal situation if both D and E could share the NFL Ticket,as well as MLB,from what I have heard {and THAT could be in correct} the NFL just signed a BIG $$$ contract with D for the next several f-ball seasons for exclusive broadcasts of NFL games.So who knows how long it could be before the Ticket gets or gives any consideration to DISH.What would be a great alternate for DISH would be to let their sub`s purchase the out 0f markets stations{along the lines as the alternate sports channels are,only with not as many blackouts} during f-ball season only,that way at least you could get some x-tra games .But in this day and age of FCC policies and lawsuits and regulations and commerical fees etc.,etc. that will never fly.

DirectTv originally had an exclusive agreement for NFL Sunday Ticket..It was renewed last year and runs until 07

MLB's exclusive agreement ran out last year...I don't think there is an exclusive agreement any more. Dish could get it if they want.

It gets down to the same argument we always get from Charlie about programming: "The programmers want too much money per subscriber, and they insist that the amounts be paid for ALL subscribers at any package level."

Charlie doesn't believe that those packages give him competitive advantage over D*. Remember, until the past few months, E* was getting larger numbers of net subscriber adds than D* was. That changed last quarter. With E*'s big locals-push, it will be interesting to see the next set of numbers.

I'm not saying that I agree with Charlie, but I bet that's how he looks at it.

What's the cost?

May be a bit off topic, but what has been the cost for these sports packages - NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB?

FKy.guy: NFL Sunday ticket was $199 for early bird renewers only, and $219 for new subsribers, and DirecTV still lost money on this. They paid the NFL through the nose so they could keep it exclusive. They basically bribed them not to offer this to Dish or any cable company till 2006 and 2007 for Dish. It will take monumental bribe to get extend that.

Can you subscribe to either of these packages only? Being as I will soon be an E* customer (just waiting on an install), there is no interest in entertainment packages, but throwing up another dish and subscribing to D* just for MLB or NFL would be sweet.

You can subscribe to NFLST without any other programming packages. Directv requires a minimum programming package for MLBEI but I can't remember which one. If you use a Directv oval dish, you will not have to put up a second dish. It can see 119/110 for Dish and 101 for Directv.

Man,jeffwtux I had no ideal it was now that high !!!! Dammmmmmmmmmmmmn,I remember about 5yrs. ago I had D* and the ticket it was only about $150 a season.Your right for D* too pay that much to the NFL ,I doubt DISH will ever get a cut of the pie unless D* developes major $$$$$$$ problems and cuts DISH in on the action.But ,, you can bet that won`t be cheap?????????????

Mlaw,as I recall you cant get just sports packs from D* and nothing else.However you can order the cheapest programming package they have and get your sports that way.An I thought going to a major league in person was expensive.Staying home and watching ain`t too cheap anymore either.

sdc said:
I know the story behind the NFL package, that DIRECTV has outbid DISH for the NFL(still not sure why both companies can't show it), but will Dish ever get the MLB package? Is that kind of the same thing that ONLY DIRECTV can get baseball.

A correction here:
Dish Network never got the chance to bid on the NFL package. DirecTV bought the exclusive DBS rights to this package with renewal rights before Dish Network was even in business. As long as DirecTV agrees to the price the NFL is asking, they will NEVER get a chance to carry the NFL Sunday Ticket.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)