MLS is about to take over the NHL in average attendance

I am going to go back and read where I said "more popular"... just to make sure....I do not recall saying it was more popular nor was it my intention. But facts remain, IF you draw MORE, it means you are liking the product being sold....making it MORE POPULAR. You do not buy, sell, eat, watch or wear something you do not like....or it is not "popular" to you.

If Ms. Ortiz would have been interested in actual journalism and included the fact that the MLS championship game was down 44% in ratings from the year before, her article might have mattered.

But of course, she doesn't. Because that might make the MLS 'less popular'.

Sandra

Attendance is not the only factor in popularity of a league or a team. I only go to a couple Detroit Tigers games a year and usually no Detroit Redwings games but I watch a whole lot of them on tv. In general I think its safe to say that most people watch many more hours of live sports on tv than in person at the games.

The leagues make a ton of money off their tv contracts because so many people watch them. I don't have any ratings numbers but I think if we sorted the sports by ratings or dollar amounts of TV contracts you would see which sports are really the most popular. I would guess that the NFL has the highest ratings and tv contracts and the MLS would be the lowest.

Exactly!!!

Sandra

I am going to go back and read where I said "more popular"... just to make sure....I do not recall saying it was more popular nor was it my intention. But facts remain, IF you draw MORE, it means you are liking the product being sold....making it MORE POPULAR. You do not buy, sell, eat, watch or wear something you do not like....or it is not "popular" to you.

This was my line when it came to popularity in this thread:

In general, the story is simply stating that in the last 10 years, soccer's popularity is drawing more and hockey is drawing less.

Attendance is not the only factor in popularity of a league or a team. I only go to a couple Detroit Tigers games a year and usually no Detroit Redwings games but I watch a whole lot of them on tv. In general I think its safe to say that most people watch many more hours of live sports on tv than in person at the games.

The leagues make a ton of money off their tv contracts because so many people watch them. I don't have any ratings numbers but I think if we sorted the sports by ratings or dollar amounts of TV contracts you would see which sports are really the most popular. I would guess that the NFL has the highest ratings and tv contracts and the MLS would be the lowest.

I personally don't watch much soccer except a few world cup games, but you are probably right about soccer growing in the US. I just don't believe it has surpassed any of the big 4 sports leagues.

You guys have morphed this into a popularity contest when then only line I stated when it come to hockey vs. soccer popularity was "In general, the story is simply stating that in the last 10 years, soccer is drawing more and hockey is drawing less"

the fact remains, at the live gate, soccer IN AVERAGE, is about to average more than hockey....nothing more and nothing less.

You guys have morphed this into a popularity contest when then only line I stated when it come to hockey vs. soccer popularity was "In general, the story is simply stating that in the last 10 years, soccer is drawing more and hockey is drawing less"

the fact remains, at the live gate, soccer IN AVERAGE, is about to average more than hockey....nothing more and nothing less.

OK, so my argument is not with you, it's with Ms. Ortiz, who is the one who made it a popularity contest.

Sandra

If Ms. Ortiz would have been interested in actual journalism and included the fact that the MLS championship game was down 44% in ratings from the year before, her article might have mattered.

But of course, she doesn't. Because that might make the MLS 'less popular'.

Sandra

I am extremely curious where you are getting the popularity Bullsh!t? I have already posted for the 4th time that I have not said it is more popular...but you have taken this conversation into some come of black whole of what is more popular.

I am extremely curious where you are getting the popularity Bullsh!t? I have already posted for the 4th time they I have not said it is more popular...but you have taken this conversation into some come of black whole of what is more popular.

Let's try this one more time...it's Ms. Ortiz who started the popularity b*******. You should know, you posted the article:

Read more: Major League Soccer is Poised to Overtake the NHL as the 4th Most Popular Professional Sports League in the U.S. - Fox News Latino

Sandra

It was back in post #19. Your direct quote even capitalized the word HAS:

In the US, in the last 10 years, soccer HAS become more popular the hockey. Doesn't the growth of attendance proves that when it shows one is declining and one is growing? Does it show with more soccer content on cable and satellite TV and less hockey content?

With regard to ratings, MLS also is making a surge. The league’s televised 2011 opener between the Galaxy and Sounders on ESPN was up 129 percent in ratings and 112 percent in viewership, drawing 604,000 English-language viewers. The game’s Spanish-language broadcast on ESPN Deportes drew another 79,000 viewers, an increase of 84 percent from a year ago.
Those TV viewer numbers rival – or surpass – those of almost every nationally televised NHL game this year on Versus. And no league can come close to boasting that kind of jump in viewership.

OK. They are judging ratings based on one opening game on ESPN (the most popular and most carried sports channel) compared to games shown on one of the lowest rated sports channels, Versus. Why not compare local broadcast of locals teams within each local market. If they did that they will see that the NHL is much higher in ratings than MLS?

It was back in post #19. Your direct quote even capitalized the word HAS:

Yep..I did say that and that was my opinion based on attendance stats by this story as well as a few facts I wanted to see/look for myself. I stand corrected where I should have started the sentence saying "IMHO".

OK. They are judging ratings based on one opening game on ESPN (the most popular and most carried sports channel) compared to games shown on one of the lowest rated sports channels, Versus. Why not compare local broadcast of locals teams within each local market. If they did that they will see that the NHL is much higher in ratings than MLS?

Not talking about TV ratings. Though IMHO, you would think that due to more content, there is a trend that soccer has become more relevant than hockey in the US.

Not talking about TV ratings. Though IMHO, you would think that due to more content, there is a trend that soccer has become more relevant than hockey in the US.
I was quoting the article that was posted in this thread.

I would say soccer is more popular among youth and family cohesiveness, similar to little league baseball. That does not correlate to the popularity of the NHL vs MLS

I was quoting the article that was posted in this thread.

I would say soccer is more popular among youth and family cohesiveness, similar to little league baseball. That does not correlate to the popularity of the NHL vs MLS

If one was losing attendance and one was gaining, then what?

Oops another stat the 'soccer is more popular' crowd ignored...MLS ratings on ESPN were down 12% in 2010 compared to the year before. :rolleyes:

Sandra

salsadancer7 said:
If one was losing attendance and one was gaining, then what?

If one was selling tickets for a fraction of the price and a fraction of the games, one would expect that one to do a little better

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Cosmo, the soccer crowd (which usually includes me) is just trying to set up a straw man argument and ignoring a whole lot of facts when they try to advance their agenda that soccer is more popular than hockey.

Don't fall for it!

Sandra

The article doesn't say it's more popular, just that more people are attending the games.

If one was selling tickets for a fraction of the price and a fraction of the games, one would expect that one to do a little better

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

If you add total revenue I'm sure the NHL blows the MLS totally out of the water.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)