MoCA details shows Joey2 instead of Joey3

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I replaced my Joey2 with a Joey3 receiver. Although everything seems to be working the Joey2 shows up with question marks under MoCA details while the Joey3 does not show up. Dish authorized the new Joey3 and deauthorized the Joey2.
I did a partial reset of both of my Hopper3 receivers thinking that it would remove the Joey2 which was replaced by the Joey3.

Dish is sending a technician tomorrow since the Advanced Dish Networking support could not solve the issue. Any ideas why my 2 Hopper3 receivers still want to show the connections to the now replaced Joey2 receiver instead of the new Joey3.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I replaced my Joey2 with a Joey3 receiver. Although everything seems to be working the Joey2 shows up with question marks under MoCA details while the Joey3 does not show up. Dish authorized the new Joey3 and deauthorized the Joey2.
I did a partial reset of both of my Hopper3 receivers thinking that it would remove the Joey2 which was replaced by the Joey3.

Dish is sending a technician tomorrow since the Advanced Dish Networking support could not solve the issue. Any ideas why my 2 Hopper3 receivers still want to show the connections to the now replaced Joey2 receiver instead of the new Joey3.
View attachment 136746View attachment 136747

If the Joey 3 is working properly then it's probably just a glitch in the software.

Reactions: charlesrshell

View attachment 136746View attachment 136747

Which Hopper is it linked to?

It shows up my.dish.com as not being connected to the internet even though it is connected to the internet by moca. As a result It does not show up as a device in Alexa, Google Assistant, and the Dish music PlayOn Apps. I told the Dish Technical Support agent that I doubt that the tech will be able to fix it. It acts as if the Joey2 which is now deactivated and disconnected is still present.
IMG_0001.JPG

Which Hopper is it linked to?

I have tried it linked to my Living Room Hopper3 and also tried it linked to my Family Room Hopper3 multiple times. It makes no difference. It does take up to 1 minute to connect. My old Joey2 would connect in 5-10 seconds. I guess I will see what the tech finds tomorrow. I was sure that doing a partial reset of both Hopper3 receivers would have wiped out the disconnected Joey2. I hope that we don’t have to do a full factory reset because I have a lot of stored programs.

I have tried it linked to my Living Room Hopper3 and also tried it linked to my Family Room Hopper3 multiple times. It makes no difference. It does take up to 1 minute to connect. My old Joey2 would connect in 5-10 seconds. I guess I will see what the tech finds tomorrow. I was sure that doing a partial reset of both Hopper3 receivers would have wiped out the disconnected Joey2. I hope that we don’t have to do a full factory reset because I have a lot of stored programs.

If the Joey 3 is working properly I'm wondering why you even care. :)

If it hasn't received current software it probably will overnight and I'm guessing it'll be fine in the morning after the update. I've had several that acted just like you're describing. I think the software is just out of date enough that the hopper sees it as a foreign piece of equipment.

Sent from my Note 8 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yep
If it hasn't received current software it probably will overnight and I'm guessing it'll be fine in the morning after the update. I've had several that acted just like you're describing. I think the software is just out of date enough that the hopper sees it as a foreign piece of equipment.

Sent from my Note 8 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using the SatelliteGuys app!

My Dish technician showed up. He learned a lot. He previously worked for Spectrum and had now worked 8 months as a Dish technician. He took pictures of my DPH42 switch since this was all new to him. I showed him how the Living Room Hopper3 was hard wired to my router with a download speed of 117 Mbps. I showed him how the Family Room Hopper3 was connected to the internet by MoCA with a speed of 112 Mbps. I showed him that bridging was turned on on both Hopper3 receivers. I showed him how the Joey3 was connected by MoCa for internet. I demonstrated how I could connect to either Hopper3 receiver.
Like me he was baffled by the fact that the MoCA screens still indicate that the Joey2 is not connected while the Joey3 does not show up. He wondered if Dish’s database could be wrong showing the old Joey2. I then showed him using my.dish.com that my equipment correctly shows my leased Hopper3, purchased Hopper3, and purchased Joey3, and my leased Joey2 no longer is listed. We verified that each device has the proper software version.
Since he was interested, I demonstrated using Alexa and Google Assistant to control my two Hopper3 and Joey3. I also demonstrated the Dish music PlayOn on each of the receivers. Finally I demonstrated using Dish Anywhere with my Amazon 4K Firestick on my basement TV. Of course he was also impressed since most of my house is wired with Lutron Caseta so all lights can be voice controlled.
Upon leaving he thanked me saying that I had taught him an awful lot today.
So I will wait and see if a future software update or if there is a Dish database that still incorrectly has my Joey2 as connected that will correct the wrong MoCA display.

My Dish technician showed up. He learned a lot. He previously worked for Spectrum and had now worked 8 months as a Dish technician. He took pictures of my DPH42 switch since this was all new to him. I showed him how the Living Room Hopper3 was hard wired to my router with a download speed of 117 Mbps. I showed him how the Family Room Hopper3 was connected to the internet by MoCA with a speed of 112 Mbps. I showed him that bridging was turned on on both Hopper3 receivers. I showed him how the Joey3 was connected by MoCa for internet. I demonstrated how I could connect to either Hopper3 receiver.
Like me he was baffled by the fact that the MoCA screens still indicate that the Joey2 is not connected while the Joey3 does not show up. He wondered if Dish’s database could be wrong showing the old Joey2. I then showed him using my.dish.com that my equipment correctly shows my leased Hopper3, purchased Hopper3, and purchased Joey3, and my leased Joey2 no longer is listed. We verified that each device has the proper software version.
Since he was interested, I demonstrated using Alexa and Google Assistant to control my two Hopper3 and Joey3. I also demonstrated the Dish music PlayOn on each of the receivers. Finally I demonstrated using Dish Anywhere with my Amazon 4K Firestick on my basement TV. Of course he was also impressed since most of my house is wired with Lutron Caseta so all lights can be voice controlled.
So I will wait and see if a future software update or if there is a Dish database that still incorrectly has my Joey2 as connected that will correct the wrong MoCA display.

:biggrin:biggrin

You know as a retired Process Control Chemical Engineer, I do have plenty of time. I volunteer in Cub Scouts, Christian Academy, and I automate my home. Years ago it was X10. But Lutron Caseta works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri through Apple Home Kit. I don’t play golf so Dish is a hobby. Of course it helps my sons since they watch dad’s Dish content through Dish Anywhere. I also used to have a Sling box but it finally died.

You know as a retired Process Control Chemical Engineer, I do have plenty of time. I volunteer in Cub Scouts, Christian Academy, and I automate my home. Years ago it was X10. But Lutron Caseta works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri through Apple Home Kit. I don’t play golf so Dish is a hobby. Of course it helps my sons since they watch dad’s Dish content through Dish Anywhere. I also used to have a Sling box but it finally died.

'Retired'? What's that word mean? Is it Greek or something? :biggrin

Did he make sure it’s active on the account? I did an upgrade yesterday, three Joey 2’s going to Joey 3’s and there’s been a glitch when it comes to doing receiver updates and activating new receivers so I called to get them activated and the agent told me everything was good, closed the work order and I hung up. They never activated. I called back and got a different agent who confirmed that the new receivers were not active, and she took care of it while I was on the phone. The point being that when Joey’s are not active, they will not link to the hoppers. That’s how you can tell that they didn’t activate. I have also activated equipment and for some reason had it deactivate right away and had to call to get it re-activated again

Oh, who was the the tech? I was going to come back out there this week until winter decided to show up. No way I’m driving on those back roads in winter

Oh, who was the the tech? I was going to come back out there this week until winter decided to show up. No way I’m driving on those back roads in winter

His name was Jim. Yes the new Joey3 that I purchased was activated and the leased Joey2 was deactivated. I verified that by looking at my equipment on the my.dish.com for my account. The leased Joey2 no longer is listed while the Joey3 shows up as Internet Connected. And of course everything works on the new Joey3.
It is just strange that MoCA Summary and MoCA details info on both Hopper3 receivers still list the Joey2 as unlinked with ? marks for connection. The Joey3 which is linked does not show up.
If you ever end up back in central Ohio for a work visit and have some time my offer to buy you lunch or dinner at Der Dutchman still stands. You and J Sheridan have helped a lot of people.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)