MOCA drops

jtaylor42

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Western WI
Just for some backround info, in July I had 1 Hopper, 1 SJ, and 2 Joeys installed and posted a thread about MOCA issues. I had existing quad shield cable (2.3 GHz) installed and previously had a 922 and 622 installed. Initially, everything seemed to be working fine but then I started having periodic drop outs of the Joeys. The Hopper was on my main viewing TV and I had the MOCA notification turned on so I could see when it failed. From everything I've read it sounded like I needed to replace my cable from the node to my Hopper with 3GHz cable, this wasn't going to be easy because of where my Hopper is located. My solution was, since my basement was unfinished I could move my Hopper down there and put a new Joey where my Hopper was. I set up an appointment to have another Joey put in and move my Hopper. The Dish tech came out last Friday (Oct 31) to do the install and I found out that the previous tech had taken a couple of shortcuts, such as installing a DP41 (I think that was the one) switch in the house so he didn't need to run a 3rd (there was only 2) coax from the LNB to the Node and another splitter in the house. The new tech took said this would cause the issues I was having, so he ran another coax from the LNB and took out the switch, then ran a new 3GHz coax from the node to the new Hopper location in the basement and put the new Joey where the Hopper was. Now I have a new continuous, no wallplates, 30ft run of 3GHz coax from the node to the Hopper. He did have some initial problems getting everything to connect, but then he replaced the node and everything settled down and connected.
Fast forward a week, I still am getting random drops, most of the time picture freezes and the Joey looks for Hopper and then connects within 10-15 seconds, but there have been a couple of occasions where I've had to reset my Hopper. If I go the the Network details Menu on the Hopper when I have MOCA drop I can watch the MOCA network drop and re-establish connection and it switches between DHCP fail to Server fail. One thing that is kinda strange it seems to be worse in the morning, however yesterday during the day it dropped several times, I watched a lot of TV yesterday (Football) and now today I happen to be off work and have been watching TV for a couple of hours and it hasn't happened once yet.
Sorry to be long winded, but does anyone have any ideas? Could the Hopper have a problem that could be causing this and I need to replace the Hopper? I am a fairly tech savvy person, I have been an Integrated Security Systems Installer for 17 years and work on pretty large Access Control and CCTV systems so I know my way around making connectors, albeit BNC connectors more than F connectors, so I can run cable and remake connectors if necessary. Does Dish have any type of logfile that runs on the Hopper that they can look at to see if there are any issues with it?

This issue can be caused by a failing receiver. Are you seeing an error message? If so, what is the 3 digit number in the top right corner?

Most of the time it goes to the looking for Hooper message and then screen goes black then reconnects. Twice I've seen the message to unplug Hopper and replug it, but I do not recall the error number. If it happens again I will check it. Thank you.

From my dish to the Node is about 40' (Node is on the inside of the house) with 3 3GHz coax cables to a closet, from there no receiver is more than about 30' from the node. Not sure how much more central I can get.

It has happened once today so far and the code at the top of the looking for Hopper is 1303, but it hasn't completely failed where it can not reconnect.

This issue can be caused by a failing receiver. Are you seeing an error message? If so, what is the 3 digit number in the top right corner?
The MOCA dropped about 4 times total yesterday. This morning it happened twice before I went to work, do you think the Hopper should be replaced? If so, does a tech have to come out or can one be sent to me and I send the old one back? I do have the DPP. Let me know, thank you.

This may not be relevant to you but I occasionally get the stuttering and picture freezes and the moca warning comes up red on my screen.
What I have found is that my network is getting a lot of collisions on it. My Netgear switch has a warning light that comes on when it receives excessive collisions.
Resetting the switch returns everything to normal. I don't know what is causing the excessive collisions, although in the past I have had two devices with duplicate IPs cause it.
If you don' have a switch in your network you could try resetting the router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)