MOCA & Hopper Internet Connector

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rdt3876

Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
texas
Hopefully someone can provide insight regarding the Hopper Internet Connector and MOCA/Ethernet connections.
A brief overview: wireless reception is poor where the Hopper is located and physical ethernet not available at that location. Just installed a HIC at one of the Joey locations to provide internet connectivity to the dish home network. I have additional components at the hopper location that also needs internet connectivity. Is it possible to split the coax prior to hopper input so there is both a hopper input feed and then install another HIC for internet to other components? if it is possible, what type of splitter would I need?

The HIC will only feed internet to the Hopper system. The Slinglink internet hook up that uses the power lines in the house to feed internet would work for other device as well but not the HIC.

I have my Hopper connected using Ethernet over Powerline adapters. You need 2. One at Hopper and one by your router. An Ethernet cable is needed at each location. Enabling bridging will distribute the internet to all devices.

Jason's is the official answer.

Unofficially, HICs can be used in pairs. You should be able to install a TAP at the Hopper location, connect the "joey" TAP port to another HIC, and it will work "in reverse" and then connect the HIC Ethernet port to whatever needs connectivity or even a small switch.

Depending on the existing wiring, adding a TAP could be out of spec.

A TAP is a special splitter for Dish Hopper installs. Should be easy enough to find from an online retailer for $5 or so.

Powerline adapters may be easier though.

All, thanks for the info.

Jm42, I had hoped the Hopper ethernet ports would work in reverse the way you described once it was online but no such luck. I will test adding the TAP & HIC near the hopper

I'm going to hijack a post from Grandude, posted February 25, 2014, because it is an excellent narrative of one of the nuances of using Powerline adapters. My neighbor has Comcast service, and runs it to a Tivo Roamio Plus. He has the problem of three-story townhouse, cathedral ceilings, inaccessible subfloors, so he needs a way to make his Moca work without the wiring runs, as he is trying to set up TIvo's version of a Joey, i.e., a Mini. He contacted Tivo Support and was told with resolute certainty that the Powerline system will not work for the Tivo units. Now, maybe they were just covering their rear ends, like DISH does on certain workarounds that are not in their book, but still work.

Grandude speaks:

"You probably should test all the locations in your house that you may want to use as you may find some that don't work and some that will.
Depends on which side of the power each location is connected in your circuit breaker box.

Typical power to the house is 250VAC and is split in the CB box roughly in half with each side paired to neutral with only the neutral in common. If the line you want to use is on the other half of the power line you may have trouble using powerline ethernet connection.

Give it a try before you need it. I had to run a dedicated ethernet line to a location from my PC/router setup to the garage to get a solid signal for a specific application. (That was a bitch of a job as it was opposite corners of the house and being on a slab, had to go through the attic. No fun at all.)"

Typical power to the house is 250VAC and is split in the CB box roughly in half with each side paired to neutral with only the neutral in common. If the line you want to use is on the other half of the power line you may have trouble using powerline ethernet connection.

Give it a try before you need it. I had to run a dedicated ethernet line to a location from my PC/router setup to the garage to get a solid signal for a specific application. (That was a bitch of a job as it was opposite corners of the house and being on a slab, had to go through the attic. No fun at all.)"
Yes, that is a real bitch of a job, done it more than once in my house for Dish cables.

BTW, there is an adapter made by X10 for coupling the two sides of the power for the X10 signals and would, maybe, work for others, like being discussed. It is a big plug/jack for electric dryers, plug it into the dryer outlet and then plug the dryer into it. Still no guarunties though, from me, as it seemed to make one X10 module worse. Still scratching my head on that one. (BTW) X10 can be very flakey so I'm not recommending it here, just commenting on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)