Model 501 Modem Problem.....

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
My modem in my 501 does'nt dial out and keep saying no dialtone check connection. Is there anyway I can "reset" it I checked the phone line and phone settings are correct in the menu. Modem used to work, maybe it got blown somehow but I can't prove it.

Any ideas??

Thanks
Bob N1WBD

Connect a phone to that line that is going into the receiver. If it has a dialtone then perhaps a surge went through the line to the 501 modem.

Stargazer said:
Connect a phone to that line that is going into the receiver. If it has a dialtone then perhaps a surge went through the line to the 501 modem.

Phone line is ok. You maybe right and the modem took a surge. I was just hoping there was a hidden trick or something to verify that that is the case. :confused:

Bob

doesn't take much to knock out a modem
If your unit has not been "opened" get extended warranty, and have it replaced (warranty has to be in effect for 30 days)
if someone has "opened" it, check the solder joints under modem jack, common problem.

I have a feeling there were bad modems in some of the 501s. When I first got my 501 it had a bad tuner in it, plus the modem didn't work. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. The tuner worked fine now, but the modem never has.

I didn't worry to much because I didn't order ppv's in the bedroom much. Bad thing is now that receiver has been moved into the living room where we're more than likely to order a ppv.

I have in two years with Dish lost the modem on 3 501's due to surges in phone lines. Seems to work good up until we have a bad lightning storm and then no more.

I am on the Digital Home Plan so it has never been a big deal to pick up the phone and have a replacement receiver shipped out to me within a few days.

Haven't had the need to send the third one in for repair as I just got my 921 and replaced the 501 that was acting as my main receiver.

If you don't have leased equipment, I guess you will need to pay to have it serviced if you can't live without your caller ID.

Mark S. said:
I have in two years with Dish lost the modem on 3 501's due to surges in phone lines. Seems to work good up until we have a bad lightning storm and then no more. ...

Unh. Mark. You don't have surge protection on your phone lines? And for that matter, power lines, sat feeds, etc.? Protection is cheap. Do it. Do it now.

I run UPS's that are themselves protected. I run coax and phone through as many surge protectors as I 've got around (sometimes one ain't enough, and sometimes the protectors fail and still let signal through without telling you).

I'm now using a Monster surge protector for my 921 and phone line. Do you have any units you would recommend that will cover the SAT feed as well???

I have had all the boxes on surge protectors but never had the phone lines protected. Up until I got my 921. Will be looking for something to protect a new 721 in the very near future.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Simon...I appreciate the info. Both those units look good.

I do have one question though. The installer that hooked up my 921 stated that running the SAT feeds through my Monster surge protector might cause me to experience some signal loss or picture degradation. He ran the lines directly to the wall socket.

This morning, I went ahead and hooked up both feeds to the surge protector anyway after reading your last post and I really was not able to see any difference in PQ. What are your thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks for the info.

Mark S. said:
Thanks Simon...I appreciate the info. Both those units look good.

I do have one question though. The installer that hooked up my 921 stated that running the SAT feeds through my Monster surge protector might cause me to experience some signal loss or picture degradation. He ran the lines directly to the wall socket.

This morning, I went ahead and hooked up both feeds to the surge protector anyway after reading your last post and I really was not able to see any difference in PQ. What are your thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks for the info.
Another dumb installer. Yes, possible signal loss, but no picture degradation - this ain't analog. You'll know about any signal loss if it happens. :)

However, with DishPro and as long as you're nicely under the 200' limit it's not gonna hurt. The only real problem that can occur is if the surge protector won't pass the 2GHz signals. Again, you'll know about that pretty quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts