model 625 killed my tv?

daveabides

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
I had Dish installed today and when the installer was finished and gone, I noticed a discoloration down the right side of my TV. While talking with their tec department it occurred to me that the dish was not grounded. Without going through all of the details of my phone encounters with the installation co., has anyone experienced this? My receiver is a 625 and the TV is a 5 year old 36" Toshiba Cinema series tube set. The discoloration is about 1"-2" at top right side and grows to 4"-5" at bottom right side and was not there before the receiver was installed. The color of the affected area depends on the background of what I'm watching. If the background is blue, the discoloration is purple. If the background is white, the discoloration is green. I have since removed the receiver completely and the problem is still there. Could the initial boot up of the ungrounded receiver have damaged my set? Any help would be great.
Thank you in advance
Dave Hunt

daveabides said:
I had Dish installed today and when the installer was finished and gone, I noticed a discoloration down the right side of my TV. While talking with their tec department it occurred to me that the dish was not grounded. Without going through all of the details of my phone encounters with the installation co., has anyone experienced this? My receiver is a 625 and the TV is a 5 year old 36" Toshiba Cinema series tube set. The discoloration is about 1"-2" at top right side and grows to 4"-5" at bottom right side and was not there before the receiver was installed. The color of the affected area depends on the background of what I'm watching. If the background is blue, the discoloration is purple. If the background is white, the discoloration is green. I have since removed the receiver completely and the problem is still there. Could the initial boot up of the ungrounded receiver have damaged my set? Any help would be great.
Thank you in advance
Dave Hunt

That's really strange. The same thing happens on my TV and I have a 522 (same as the 625). The discoloration is also on the right side and changes with the background. It doesn't happen very often, though. If I turn off the TV and turn it right back on, the discoloration quickly fades away and everything is fine. I assumed it was just my picture tube going bad. It occurs only on TV1 and not TV2. It's also produced when using other peripherals, not just when using the receiver. However, this started a year after my 522 was installed, not immediately. Strange that you have the same symptoms with, essentially, the same receiver.

This is with my TV1 also but shutting down the TV does nothing. It's a good thing this is not thunderstorm season. A good strike to the ungrounded dish could present a bigger problem.

Any possibility that a stereo speaker is too close to the tv? It almost sounds like distortion from a speaker magnet.

May need for the tube to be degaussed.

Discoloration of the Picture tube.

The 522 and 625 are dvr receivers right????
More than likely the hard Disk in the dvr is causing an electromagnetic field and gaussing and or Degaussing the tv. Non magnetically shielded speakers on top of or near a Television will do the same thing.

You may need to move the Dvr away from the tv and have a service tech come out and degauss the crt in the television.

daveabides said:
A good strike to the ungrounded dish could present a bigger problem.

Even if a lightning strike occurred, it's seriously doubtful a grounded dish will slow down, much less prevent problems. As to your discoloration, it certainly sounds like a magnetic problem. Have you tried running RCA cables instead of coax for your inputs?

Do you see this "discoloration" "with out signal" (blank screen)
if not on a blank screen, it could be a bad "coax" feed.
What are you using for an signal source?
check all the "cables" going into your set to make sure
you don't have "break" in a cable.
IF it has it with AND without signal, then set could need "manual degaussing",
(note removing magnetic source may NOT remove problem UNTIL you degauss)

retiredTech said:
Do you see this "discoloration" "with out signal" (blank screen)
if not on a blank screen, it could be a bad "coax" feed.
What are you using for an signal source?
check all the "cables" going into your set to make sure
you don't have "break" in a cable.

He's already answered that. In fact, it's in his original post.

"I have since removed the receiver completely and the problem is still there."

chaddux said:
Those are instructions for a computer monitor. Does it apply to a TV monitor as well even though his TV is likely twice the size of your average computer monitor? I know my TV definitely doesn't have such a menu option.
Yes, the soldering gun technique will work if you don't have access to a coil.

Wow! excellent feedback guys. Problem solved! I found the incoming cable was running parallel and up against speaker wires and some abandoned antenna wire and abandoned cable. Guess it was time to clean the old floor joists up a bit. After removing all abandoned wires and rerouting cable, set looks fine. By the way, Dodge....seven dishes? Man that's a lot of dishes.
Thanks everybody, just in time for some more football. GO COLTS!!!!

daveabides said:
Wow! excellent feedback guys. Problem solved! I found the incoming cable was running parallel and up against speaker wires and some abandoned antenna wire and abandoned cable. Guess it was time to clean the old floor joists up a bit. After removing all abandoned wires and rerouting cable, set looks fine. By the way, Dodge....seven dishes? Man that's a lot of dishes.
Thanks everybody, just in time for some more football. GO COLTS!!!!

good luck today, SHOULD be a great game! steelernation, glad to see you got everything worked out!

Does anyone know if there is a certain type of soldering gun you need? Will the shaft type work, or do you need the gun type?

My 32" Samsung has had this problem for about 2 years, it was my own fault though. I put my center channel speakers on top of my television and Joila instant rainbow in the corners. It has never went away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)