Model Dish811 reception

tidalwave

Mar 7, 2005
I have a Dish811 HDTV receiver with OTA HDTV reception. I feed into
a HDTV monitor. I live about 70 miles from a HDTV broadcast tower. Five local broadcasters broadcast from a single 1500 ft tower. I can only
receive a constant usable signal from one of the five, two others are sporadic, and two are never receivable. The FCC broadcast info states that all five broadcast at about the same power, at the same evening times.
I have an 'eight-bow' 4x6 foot UHF high-db antenna and a pre-amp-amplifier feed to my receiver.
My neighbors have standard UHF-VHF roof antennas but with HDTV sets (not monitors), they can receive all five without a problem.
Dish Network states that they know of no receiver problems with this unit. But they can't explain why I can't receive OTA HDTV with such a large antenna and amplifier and my neighbors have small antennas and get good reception
Does anyone have an opinion on the Model 811 unit?...(Dish Network is still providing this unit to customers)...I was hoping that Dish would let me swap out to a newer, better OTA combo receiver.

Ota

I had the same problem but I was about 15 miles away. I also had a pre amp and when I took it off, it cleared up my problem. It appeared that the pre amp was over driving the receiver.

I have found the best solution is the Silver Sensor UHF in the Atic with the Channel Master 7777 amp.

The key to all this is the Radio Shack Anntenuator so you do not over drive (seems like a common problem).

Plus you need to tweak the Anntenutor between difference seasons of the year due to weather.

I can pull HDTV in from 70 Miles with it and as close as 10 Miles.

Are you sure that all of the HDTV signals in your area are UHF? Some HDTV signals are transmitted on VHF. That might explain why your neighbors with UHF/VHF antennas are getting better reception than you. You can find out about your local stations at antennaweb.org.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts