Mohu Sky

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I did a search, but didn't find any threads. Anyone have any experience with the Mohu Sky antenna?

http://store.gomohu.com/sky-hdtv-outdoor-antenna.html

These are designed and made locally (well, local for me anyway). I know one person who has one, but he only lives 20 miles from the main broadcast antenna farm. I was wondering how this works further out.

-Ted

If they will give a money back guarantee try one to satisfy your curiosity. Otherwise it isn't going to perform any better, and could be worse then other similar amplified antennas. Don't let the shape fool you, there is no magic to make one seriously outperform another, and many on the market are just worse. But some do perform better than others, like anything else. It's the 60 mile claim they make that often doesn't hold up.

The Leaf works well for what it is. Still this thing looks questionable.

I wouldn't try it myself unless like Tampa8 said, they have a full money back return policy. $149 is a lot for it, from the looks of it, I paid $120 for my HD8200U and have bought DB4's for as low as $49. As others mentioned, at 21'' X 9'' and multi-directional, I'd think the 60 m claim would be very suspect too.

Maybe their 60 m claim is with no obstructions at all and a really strong signal, perfect conditions.

Looks like they have a 30 day return policy except for special orders, close-outs, etc, minus shipping and handling -

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
We want you to be fully satisfied with every item that you purchase from Mohu. If you are not satisfied with an item that you have purchased, you may return the item within 30 days of delivery for a full refund of the purchase price, minus the shipping, handling or other additional charges. Please note that the item price and applicable taxes will be refunded.
Special-order, closeout or discontinued items are non-returnable.

Returns will not be accepted if any of the following conditions apply:
  • Purchase was made through another reseller.
  • Packing slips must accompany returned item (we no longer issue RMA numbers).
  • The product is missing parts or has been damaged due to improper use or installation.
  • The product is not returned with all hardware, manuals, and accessories.
  • The product has been damaged or modified from its original form in a manner not consistent with typical use.
  • No refunds will be given after thirty (30) days from date of invoice.
  • Please allow 7-14 business days for the return and refund process to be completed.

Last edited:
The multi-directional 60 mi spec is what has me interested. I get PBS from a very different direction than everything else. Anyway, I am going to see how it does for my friend for a while before deciding. The reviews are generally very good, although some folks in deep fringe areas say the multi-directionality goes away with weak signals. I'm just looking for more data.

Thanks,
Ted

For the most part mileage claims are pointless. If you are behind a mountain then you might not get anything from a station a few miles away. Those 150 mile $30 antennas do get stations that far away but you have to be up on a 10,000 foot mountain. :p

So before buying this antenna or any other check TV Fool and see if you have a decent chance at getting the stations you want.

You should check out the reviews at Amazon for this product. There are over 200 of them there. That should give you a really good idea about whether to purchase or not.

Definitely check your TVfool report and the Amazon reviews. My first impression of the Mohu is that it's made to be pretty while getting tv channels. I had a Clearstream C4 (I think) that was designed partly for looks, partly for performance. I returned it within a week and bought a less pretty, more useful DB8.

The "60 miles" MAY be accurate if you have perfect LOS. TVfool says I can get local channel 38 at 6 miles away, but it rarely comes in. I can get RF40 just fine at 37 miles away even though it's listed as 2edge.

For the price of the Mohu Sky, I'd probably get two directional antennae and combine them.

Definitely check your TVfool report and the Amazon reviews. My first impression of the Mohu is that it's made to be pretty while getting tv channels. I had a Clearstream C4 (I think) that was designed partly for looks, partly for performance. I returned it within a week and bought a less pretty, more useful DB8.

The "60 miles" MAY be accurate if you have perfect LOS. TVfool says I can get local channel 38 at 6 miles away, but it rarely comes in. I can get RF40 just fine at 37 miles away even though it's listed as 2edge.

For the price of the Mohu Sky, I'd probably get two directional antennae and combine them.

Which channel is that? The only 38 I'm aware of around here is from Boston, way more than 6 miles.

Which channel is that? The only 38 I'm aware of around here is from Boston, way more than 6 miles.

WHCT, 6.5 miles from me. According to TVfool it's a low-powered analog and digital channel. It's apparently broadcast from the same spot as WRDM 19 (50.1) and WRNT 48 analog. The few times it came in, it was all infomercials all the time.

I've read many of the Amazon reviews, and it seems like it directionality is more important the further you get from the source, but I guess that would be true for almost any antenna. I am looking to mount an antenna in a storage room on my second floor which has easy access to the cable distribution cabinet in my house. The compact size of the Sky is also part of the appeal. I had one of the old CM4228s in the attic of my old house, and it took up a lot of room. Anyway, thanks for all the responses. Sounds like it is not the panacea it is marketed to be.

Ted

WHCT, 6.5 miles from me. According to TVfool it's a low-powered analog and digital channel. It's apparently broadcast from the same spot as WRDM 19 (50.1) and WRNT 48 analog. The few times it came in, it was all infomercials all the time.

I'm over 20 miles from the transmitter for WHCT. No wonder I can't even get a blip.

I use indoor rabbit ears with an amplifier with adjustable gain and a coat hanger. It generally works well for me. CBS, NBC, and ABC are still high VHF. True high VHF. So rabbit ears are appropriate in my situation. All the others are UHF. Nothing like a good ole pair of rabbit ears if they will work in your situation. I used a clearstream antenna indoors and the high VHF kept dropping and out no matter what I did. Put the rabbit ears in the same place and no drop outs. And the coat hanger works well for most of my UHF stations. But I'm fairly close to the broadcast towers.--Andy

Did you try this antenna, and if so, what were your results?

Considering picking one up and mounting in my attic to see how it performs. The reviews are excellent on it from what I've seen

Did you try this antenna, and if so, what were your results?

Considering picking one up and mounting in my attic to see how it performs. The reviews are excellent on it from what I've seen
A friend tried it, and found it offered poor high VHF performance at a distance of around 24 mile from the transmitter. UHF performance was excellent. It should not be used in a location where VHF reception is required.

A family member installed this one from Radioshack with some pretty good results. The one station she had problems with was RF10 due to a big hill southeast of her house, TVfool shows it as 2edge 18 miles from the transmitter. This thing gets it reliably, and it also pulls in UHF channels 40+ miles north of her house. It's only 3 feet wide or so, so it's pretty easy to hang in the attic. I'd try that first before spending the extrra on the mohu.

I ended up with a Clearstream 2v. If I upgraded to a 4v, I might get slightly more reliable reception of my off-angle PBS station, but even at its worst, the uncorrectable error counts are small, and it does not prevent me from watching shows.

I personally would use a small outdoor antenna. I'm a couple miles from the towers and I use my trusty HBU22 (same one I used in Minneapolis when I was 28 miles away)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts