Momentary black screen on ESPN?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bjthadj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just curious if anybody else is seeing the same thing I am. For the last few weeks, ESPN will randomly go to a black screen with the audio still fine. It will last for one second at most. I have an HR20 and it has not happened on any other channels I regularly watch. And I thought maybe it was a live issue, but I just got done watching the Cubs lose on the DVR and it did it even on the recording.

Has anyone else seen this on ESPN? If not, any suggestions how to see if its an issue with my setup?

Yes, I have seen it, but it only lasts for a second at most and has not happened on any type of regularity as of yet.
I'm keeping an eye on it, but I wrote it off as a glitch at ESPN seeing it's not happening on any other channels.

Jimbo

I have seen it several times. The screen will go blank but the sound will continue. It happened several times to me while watching the Cubs/Sox game last week (the only time I watch ESPN is if the Cubs are on). Haven't seen last night's game yet (have it recorded). Hopefully it wasn't as bad as last week.

I have seen it several times. The screen will go blank but the sound will continue. It happened several times to me while watching the Cubs/Sox game last week (the only time I watch ESPN is if the Cubs are on). Haven't seen last night's game yet (have it recorded). Hopefully it wasn't as bad as last week.

Actually it was worse, I'm sure you know by now the Cubs got swept back this weekend.
I found this very dissappointing from the Cubs perspective, the White Sox were playing so so when they came to play the Cubs and now they seem to have confidence again. ugh.

Jimbo

THANKS GUYS for reporting this issue!! I just got my new HR23-600 and connected it to my new Sony HDTV and was noticing this momentary blacking out every several minutes, whether during live TV or Sportscenter, for example. I was wondering if it was the TV or the receiver, or HDMI handshaking issues. Knowing others are seeing this haas just saved me the aggravation of returning a perfectly good TV and receiver.

It is only on ESPN that I can tell, but like others, it is what I watch mostly.

THANKS GUYS for reporting this issue!! I just got my new HR23-600 and connected it to my new Sony HDTV and was noticing this momentary blacking out every several minutes, whether during live TV or Sportscenter, for example. I was wondering if it was the TV or the receiver, or HDMI handshaking issues. Knowing others are seeing this haas just saved me the aggravation of returning a perfectly good TV and receiver.

It is only on ESPN that I can tell, but like others, it is what I watch mostly.

Welcome to the site, Look around , stay awhile :)

If it was the HDMI handshake it would happen every time you change from a HD to a SD program.
I have not seen this happen in about a week now.

Jimbo

I do as well. I'm hoping this is an MPEG2 HD issue, and not ESPN. (ESPN/2 are the only MPEG2 channels I watch with regularity)

If so, it's going away real soon now. :)

I have noticed it too...not too frequently, but enough to notice.

another similar thing i noticed is with NFL Network. Their sounds is very questionable, especially during live game broadcasts. Let's hope they get a new audio engineer this season.

Here is some more data reference what I saw tonite during Sunday Night baseball on ESPN. I watched closely from 8-10 PM. H23-600 connected to Sony HDTV (via HDMI) and S-Video to an analog TV. When the blackouts occurred, it happens to both TV's. I have tried it on a single TV output at a time and it still does it. 1/2 second blackouts were noted at:
8:04 PM Eastern
8:09
8:42
8:49
9:17
9:34
9:48
9:51

Watched NASCAR on TNT last nite (not quite as closely as ESPN ballgame tonite). Didnt see a single blackout in 2 hours.

Last edited:
Oops, I meant H23-600. Just had it installed last Thursday. It is supposedly same as H21 but has BBC installed inside.:)

I have seen this happen for a long time. It's been doing this for years. It has to be the MPEG2 encoder D* is using for ESPN, as I have never seen it on E*. I can't believe they still have not fixed it.

Was happenig a lot during last night's Home Run Derby. But it is a minor annoyance as it comes right back on and audio is never lost. It's almost like the cameras are degaussing.

There have been posts in other forums that it is happening on Comcast as well so it seems to be an ESPN issue.

I have had it happen to me on a HBO movie. Half way through the movie "black screen" with good audio. I did a forward scan but still no go. Will call Directv tomorrow for a replacement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)