Monday August 14th Technical Chat

Stargazer said:
This is the best recap that I have seen so far. Good job!!! The reason why I say that is due to the fact that it comes with the pictures and all, kind of wraps it up real quickly. Those DVR's (and capture devices) do come in handy dont they?
Yessir they do...(and mucha's gracia's :)) while HD Dvr's are nice I have 3 Replays and 3 Pc's with 2 extra external HDD's full of Replay stuff (to watch on my PJ)

Neutron said:
Is it just me, or did they cringe both times they heard Satelliteguys mentioned?

I still remember on a Charlie Chat when someone mentioned Satelliteguys, and Charlie looked like he was about to squeal. :D

I do think they shrugged off the InHD and FoodHD question. Good job asking it!! I know that has been on a lot of our minds.

So I am not the only one that noticed them make a funny reaction when they mentioned satelliteguys.us I thought way to go! We actually got mentioned twice in one night! This shows how popular this site is getting. They can't screen them all out lol. They fear us. We are not the ordinary subscriber because we are in the know.

Questions on 129 dropouts and pixalation:
A: 129 in the N.W. is not as strong, we are working on a special dish solution using a 24" dish, contact your local retailer if you are having problems. We are going to try to boost the power Wed to help on the 129 NW transponders.

So after 6 months they decide to up the power. Than to top it off they say go see your retailer for a 24" dish. Strange as they would not allow 24 inch dishes 6 months ago when they took my money. Well 12 months and counting. I think I might make a trip to Denver to drop my equipment on Charlies door step.

The FoodHD/InHD answer was lame, I thought there was a contract with Food and they have until the end of the month to deliver it! Also booo on the 129 answer, finally admit it, how about those who signed up and were given a dish 1000 and when you called your retailer out 5 or 6 times they did nothing but pretend to re-aim the dish, they should offer us a swap for a 24" dish, i'd send them a dish 300 back for a 24" dish!

I still think they are working to offer a special Dish branded enclosure for external storage support. This makes sense so it can have special firmware to authenticate with the receiver/account it's tied in with and you couldn't just copy files over and directshow dump to a decrypted mpeg2 TS file (ala current bogus TTG protection) It also makes sense so they can offer a drive that's known to work (there are a lot of bogus enclosure mfgs out there) and it will give them a way to sell hard drives!

mkephart said:
Questions on 129 dropouts and pixalation:
A: 129 in the N.W. is not as strong, we are working on a special dish solution using a 24" dish, contact your local retailer if you are having problems. We are going to try to boost the power Wed to help on the 129 NW transponders.

So after 6 months they decide to up the power. Than to top it off they say go see your retailer for a 24" dish. Strange as they would not allow 24 inch dishes 6 months ago when they took my money. Well 12 months and counting. I think I might make a trip to Denver to drop my equipment on Charlies door step.

Go ahead and make the trip.

They admit to the problem, announce they are going to boost power, talk about a bigger dish that we've been anticipating for months and you take this moment to vent on your 19th post? Sorry, I don't get it.

Foxbat said:
What's up with linking to ImageShack? Is Scott running low on storage space on the new server? I don't think we should have to "sign" some usage agreement to see the slides from tonight's Tech Chat. Just my opinion...

Thanks, dfergie, you typing this all in as I missed out on the chat.
Not sure why he used imageshack, we have plenty of space here. :)

:) my guesses are wild blue will be out in Oct there will be no discounted service. you would be lucky to see combined billing. a 24" dish is a good temp solution to 129.(here we go again a new dish) and powering up certain transponders. they will get the remaing local markets up and running this year so if distants go away they will have locals to much of the us. sounds like they will brake up the hd channels to get more money. again forcing you to get the hd platinum package. just like the dvr fee. get you to save $5 by spending $10. so they really got $5 from you and making you feel good about it. lol thinking your saving. dam dvr doesn't coast a dime for them to operate in the first place. unless they are recouping some hard drive replacements. its not if but when that hard drive will quit. there are a lot of hd channels going to 118.7 it might be used in a emergency if the new 129 isn't up in time. i wanted to ask if we could customize the home channel. more info in the mail boxes. when will 129 be replaced? availability of the plus dishes and why they are no good on the west and east coast (mostly populated areas). now the new call centers open in Texas will we get rid of the ragheads? add the euro news channel as a ala carte. mirror the Pentagon channel onto 110 or 119. when will the dpp64 switch come out? better supervision over dealers. a dish theft hotline or email? update info on there web site on sat and channel listings. and so many more!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Not sure why he used imageshack, we have plenty of space here.
How do you position images using vBulletin ?? All you can do is insert a link to the image, but where is the image hosted ?? Not everyone has permission to create dirs and sub-dirs. For example, on your 622 review, you have images located at satelliteguys.us/622/images/ or something similar. Can dfergie or I create directories like that ??

mkephart said:
...contact your local retailer if you are having problems.
I noticed that the one guy said a number of times to "contact your local retailer". Why ?? I'd be calling Dish directly. How many customers (say in the past 3-4 years) have ordered "direct", either through Dish's website or through Dish's phone sales, vs buying from retailers ?? I'll bet more have bought directly from Dish.

Yes it can be a hardware problem with your TV!! If folks are haveing issues with HDMI and your cable is good most likely its due to your TV.. Yes they did say their were some issues with some brands with how well HDMI will work but for the most part. If your haveing issues its due to your TV and how that manufacuter installs their HDMI.. If you have a major band most cases you should be fine..

Here in Cincinnnati I have found that the local dealers don't know much.
I have talked to a Sears store about any deals for current customers on an upgrade to HD and he did not know anything about it.
I havbe also talked to a small dealer and he was in the dark also.

622 HDMI Issue - only partially confessed ??

dfergie - great job on the recap! I missed a few things last evening that I picked up here. (Sorry I didn't record it, but my HDD is close to full so I'm being judicious about my choices!)

Everyone can make a mistake, but I got a real chuckle when their tech guru for the evening (Dan Minnick?) tried to tell an e-mailer how to set-up the 622 to receive analog OTA broadcasts! He musta been late for the rehearsal!

Re: the HDMI output and connector issue - It's exactly what I have been saying for the past 2 months in these threads:

1) There are multiple root causes to the "no HDMI output" issue.

2) E* described 2 of them that they have apparently identified. The "incompatability" issue might be completely eliminated with SW tweaks.

3) They related the HDMI connector issue exactly as I have described it. The SMT female socket they chose in their rendition is "underengineered" (their word, IIRC). It's easy to see how any external force on that socket is translated to flexing of the tiny, fragile 1mm pitch (?) connections on the board and inevitably one or more will fracture with repeated force. Although the HDMI connector design might be an "industry-wide problem", I believe there are more robust designs for the socket that would not have these problems, or less so. Also - there are possible workarounds like foxbat identified and provided links to. Will E* improve their design? Will they offer retrofits to a captured plug design or at least upgrade to a superior design when a 622 is returned for repair? How much of the costs of mitigating the HDMI connector problem should E* assume? I see the information last evening as a green light for anyone with an HDMI output problem to expect E* to resolve the problem on their nickel! Take advantage of that if you're having a problem, now or in the future...!

4) I still contend that there are other root causes of the HDMI problem, like possibly the excessive operating temps. of the Broadcom chips. Will E* ever confirm and/or admit to those issues? Time will tell...

It's great to watch a program like that and think "deja vu" through significant parts of it, largely due to my afilliation with SatelliteGuys.US...!

BRgds all...!

Poke said:
Yes it can be a hardware problem with your TV!! If folks are haveing issues with HDMI and your cable is good most likely its due to your TV.. Yes they did say their were some issues with some brands with how well HDMI will work but for the most part. If your haveing issues its due to your TV and how that manufacuter installs their HDMI.. If you have a major band most cases you should be fine..
Yes I heard that and it would be nice if they told us what TVs were giving trouble.
I am looking at my options now and sure would like to know what TVs to not buy.

I am glad that they said they would keep adding the sd locals till they got all 100% of them done. That means that we should all have our locals by the end of the year right? When they turn off distant locals next month then Dish will have no choice but to finish them. Sad it took a court order for Charlie to finish the locals when he had more than enough satellites up there to do it last year.

Regarding the HDMI connector and breakage, how many people have "heavy" HDMI cables and have their 622 mounted such that the cable hangs down to the floor, for instance ?? The weight of that cable is being held by the connector in the 622 in that case... If it cracks or snaps, one shouldn't be surprised.

As for HDMI compatibility with components, Scientific Atlanta and Pioneer have the same issues with their set-tops or set-top software. For some people, HDMI works 100%. For others, it is flakey or downright broken. Who's at fault or who didn't follow the spec ??

My Hitachi tv already has had to have the HDMI module replaced due to broken connections on the connection.
They should really have stayed with the DVI connector and just added sound IMO.

hall said:
Regarding the HDMI connector and breakage, how many people have "heavy" HDMI cables and have their 622 mounted such that the cable hangs down to the floor, for instance ?? The weight of that cable is being held by the connector in the 622 in that case... If it cracks or snaps, one shouldn't be surprised....
Good point. My entertainment center routes cables through a slot in the back, and the slot is above the shelf level, just about at the level that the 211 HDMI connector is. For me, that's an automatic strain relief, and I haven't had any problems with HDMI, even with a DVI adapter for connecting it to the TV.

Everybody who hasn't done so yet should put something under their HDMI cable where it connects to the receiver. The more support that cable gets, the less likely it is to pry up your surface mount connector. Effectively, you're moving the fulcrum point farther back, so the lever doesn't exert as much force. Archimedes Lever in action. :)

Watched last night. Those guys should run for political office and have Leonid from America's Got Talent as their spokesperson. They can spin Q&A better that anyone in DC. Did you notice no mention of any new HD Locals coming soon?

Just curious......since these are "Tech Guys" why do they never get asked about Bandwidth issues and MPEG4 flags and picture quality that seem to be a concern to a lot of people on this forum. Are people just screened out or does no one ask? Whoever said these guys at Dish should be politicians are right because they can sure say a lot without saying a thing. :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)