Status
Not open for further replies.

mikew

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I am so disappointed that I didn't know about Monoprice two years ago.

Brackets to mount speakers
Best Buy - $89.00 for 5
MonoPrice - $13.00 for 6

Bracket to mount TV
Best Buy - $239
MonoPrice - $49.00

Then, of course, there's the HDMI cable
Best Buy - $99.00
MonoPrice - $13.00

HDMI Switch
Best Buy - $119
MonoPrice - $29

How can MonoPrice do these prices? Most retailers have similar pricing to Best Buy.

Every once in awhile MonoPrice fails me. I ended up buying some security camera cabling (with power wire) from another source since MonoPrice was way higher. But yes, they are AWESOME with most things - I've purchased VGA/Composite/Component cables for all of my projection systems from them, and have been totally satisfied with the quality, and amazed at the prices.

Yep, I love monoprice. I've saved several hundred bucks by using them.

I use Monoprice for all my HDMI, component, optical toslink cables, and more. Perhaps they make their own cables for the most part? That could explain a lot of the lower cost. At their prices and quality, though, they just can't be beat.

Interstingly I see different prices for cables 9of all kinds) in different area at BB. I recently needed a short cable to connect my XM radio the aux input jack o my car stereo. the same recoton cable was $14.99 in one section and $3.999 in another.

With HDMI the prices vary two but at least they are different brands.

How can MonoPrice do these prices? Most retailers have similar pricing to Best Buy.

I too think that they may make their own cables, but, no advertising, no retail packaging, no local store overhead, likely night and day in total number of employees to pay; it all adds up.

I have a Samsung 50" DLP and love it. I have 3 HDMI inputs. I have an DirecTV HD DVR going to HDMI 1, an Toshiba HD DVR going to HDMI 2 and just got a PS3 which I want to go to HDMI 3. Right now I just switch from the HD DVR and PS3 depending on what I'm in the mood for but would like to get my 3rd HDMI cable.

Right now I have the standard HDMI cable that came with my DirecTV HD DVR and a 6' Philips from Wal Mart which I paid around $35 for.

I'm looking at Monoprice's website. They have so many HDMI cables. I need a 6 foot cable for sure. Which one should I get for the best price? I don't want to pay the high retail prices. What is AWG and should I be concerned with it? Is 1.3a what I want to get? Should I replace the two cables I currently have or are they just fine?

Thanks for the help in advance. Sorry for so many questions.

I have a Samsung 50" DLP and love it. I have 3 HDMI inputs. I have an DirecTV HD DVR going to HDMI 1, an Toshiba HD DVR going to HDMI 2 and just got a PS3 which I want to go to HDMI 3. Right now I just switch from the HD DVR and PS3 depending on what I'm in the mood for but would like to get my 3rd HDMI cable.

Right now I have the standard HDMI cable that came with my DirecTV HD DVR and a 6' Philips from Wal Mart which I paid around $35 for.

I'm looking at Monoprice's website. They have so many HDMI cables. I need a 6 foot cable for sure. Which one should I get for the best price? I don't want to pay the high retail prices. What is AWG and should I be concerned with it? Is 1.3a what I want to get? Should I replace the two cables I currently have or are they just fine?

Thanks for the help in advance. Sorry for so many questions.
HDMI is HDMI. Feel free to spend however much more on the spendy, nice cables, but there is no discernable difference in HDMI cables. Unless you have an oscilloscope, that is.

I recently purchased a 3 TosLink cables from monoprice and I noticed they were shipped direclty from Hong Kong. So probably going direct to a manufacturer PLUS i didnt have tons of useless packaging lilke I would if i bought from a retailer like bestbuy.

yea, MonoPrice !

Ten+ years ago, a friend needed his first TosLink cable to hook up his new DVD player to his sound system.
We were at Fry's, and they had 'em for $60.
I told my friend he could do better.
He blew me off.
By careful shopping you could get one for about 1/4th that price, even back then.
(he's an idiot, if you hadn't figured that out)

I'd been through all this with Svideo cables, the decade before....

NOW, or at least recently, Fry's has had HDMI cables on special in their store for about $6 for 6'.
So has NewEgg. So have other internet sites like WiredCo.Com
And, $10 to $12 is still quite the bargain.

But, these are the exceptions and the specials.
MonoPrice has had good HDMI and TosLink prices for a long time.

I recently went to visit them at their facility.
Walked in, asked to see some of the TV swivel wall mount brackets.
Was taken upstairs where a very helpful fellow with native English demonstrated and explained the several models I was interested in!
Downstairs, I typed in my order to their web site on a terminal they provided at the front counter.
When I asked how long it would take, the nice guy there said: "It'll be printing out in just a second and then I'll get your parts".
And he did.

I'm not sure I spent more than 30..40 minutes at their warehouse, including a quick look through the on-line catalog to get more goodies that were on special for the day.
(that day, they had 3' Toslink for $1 each !)
My wall bracket was in the $40 to $50 range, and would easily sell for $100 to $150 at many retailers, if they even had as nice a model as I got!
For those less picky, MonoPrice had some in the $20 to $30 range which would compare to $75 to $100 retail.

Oh, and I figured I spent about the same $12 in gas getting there (it was a ways) as I would have paid in shipping.
But by visiting, I got the exact solution I was looking for ! - :up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts