MonsterPower and the DVR 921

Roy

Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Is there a model of the Home Theatre Reference PowerCenter available for use with DISH networks DVR 921 unit?

My sons got me the HTS 1000 MKII unit. This unit only has ONE SAT input/output and ONE CATV input/output.

I do not plan on needing/using the CATV connectors. IS it be equivalent electronically to the SAT connector so that it could be used for the SECOND SAT input/output that the 921 requires?

Thanks!

I would wager that the internals for both the SAT and the CATV in/out are identical.
BUT...when the cable installer was here to install my Basic Cable with a HD box, he refused to run the cable through my Monster. I guess he wanted the best possible, ie strongest signal to the Motorola 6200 STB.
I doubt that running your 921 inputs throught the Monster will do anything but decrease the signal.

Some surge protectors have identical coax ports regardless of the labels, while other ones really do mean what they say.

Yes, you might see a point or 3 difference in signal strength - but the protection is worth it!

I have the HTS 2000 MKII, and I use it with the 921. It also has 2 inputs (one SAT and one CATV). Before I bought it I called Monster Tech Support, and they told me the inputs were identical, just the labeling was different. I would assume the HTS 1000 works the same way. No problems here...

Monster HTS 3500

I also have a monster power reference center and am running an 811 and a 522 through it and it really cleaned up the picture a lot. But channel 109 on the 811 will go out and not come back unless I turn on the 522??, if I turn it back off the channel will go back out?? I am going to try a different cable on the 811 and see if it helps.

If you're using DishPro LNBF's and switches, be sure the surge suppressor(s) for the coax in/out are rated to pass 2150 MHz. That spec probably won't be in the Monster manual, but if you hook it up and then can't get even transponders on your 921, that's the problem.

Brad

hdtv 2003 said:
I also have a monster power reference center and am running an 811 and a 522 through it and it really cleaned up the picture a lot.

What? Please give us some details of before and after....

I use a Panamax Max8 DBS+5 surge suppressor with my 921 setup. It has 2 SAT rated coax lines, and 2 CABLE rated coax lines. I find this as perfect for the 921 as I can cover both SAT tuners, the ATSC tuner, and the outgoing coax to the bedroom TV in one unit. I'm not aware of any other units with that many coax lines built in.

From the Panamax FAQ:
Q. What is the difference between Panamax’s CATV and Satellite protection?

A.
* Your Panamax product’s satellite protection is engineered for satellite coaxial signals (DBS, C, & KU band). The satellite module has a clamping voltage of 27 volts and signal frequency of 950 MHz-2.2GHz.
* Your Panamax product’s ANT/CATV protection is engineered for a cable TV, cable modem, or roof top antenna coaxial signals. The ANT/CATV module has a clamping voltage of .7 volts and signal frequency of 5 MHz-950MHz.
Note, this may not apply to other company's products, but is a fairly common distinction.

While the Max line has been replaced with newer units, but you can still find the Max8DBS+5 fairly inexpensively. In general I recommend Panamax units over Monster ones based on price/performance. IOW I think the Panamax units are better, and they're definitely cheaper for comparable features and performance. Another line to look at is the Tripplite ISOBAR series, which are physically built like tanks and generally well respected. Belkin has some units out now as well, but I don't know much about them.

It should also be noted that the surge suppressors that Dish Network sells as accessories are Panamax units, although at exhoribinant prices. Panamax's site at one location also specifically states that the M8DBS+5 is DishPro approved.

Mike Greer said:
hdtv 2003 said:
I also have a monster power reference center and am running an 811 and a 522 through it and it really cleaned up the picture a lot.
What? Please give us some details of before and after....
If someone sees any improvement in the picture as a result of connecting through a surge suppressor I would first assume that it's a side effect of grounding everything to the same level (power and sat). If you see the sat signal strength go up then this is the only cause I could think of. This would tend to mean the system wasn't properly grounded to begin with and should be double checked. Another possibility for improved picture is RF suppression on the power lines, but most modern equipment has good enough RF rejection in the power supply that that's less likely.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

Monster

When I got home I replaced one of the cables that I was unsure of but it did not correct the problem w/channel 109. But the picture is much clearer and the sound is clearer also, and as for signal strength, I am still at the same levels as before the Monster. :D

Thanks Dave - I'm always curious when someone says their picture is improved by installing devices like these.

I just don't see the science behind these. Its like the $400 power cords you buy for high end audio...

Putting a surge protector on your satellite feeds simply just can't improve the sound and picture quality. It may help protect your receiver from near-by lightning but it won't improve your digital satellite picture or sound. It also will not protect your equipment from a direct lightning strike.

The noise/static suppression may help your display or maybe even your receiver but if does make ANY difference in your display there must be a serious power problem that should be checked out by a professional before damage to your equipment occurs or God forbid a fires starts!

Mike Greer said:
Thanks Dave - I'm always curious when someone says their picture is improved by installing devices like these.

I just don't see the science behind these. Its like the $400 power cords you buy for high end audio...
I should mention that there are devices which could have an effect. Specifically anything which uses an isolation transformer or AC regenerator could clean up the incoming power and help in situations where the house power is very bad. Of course few areas in the US actually have power that bad (usually in older city areas). Since such devices usually cost upwards of $500 I'd want to check if that's an actual problem before wasting money on a solution you don't need.

-- Dave

hi guys

I have seen some of the monster products filter out some HD transponders with DTV.

YMMV,

Gregg

I have a Monster HTS-1000. When I try to run through the cable and sat my 921 doesn't get a signal. I've tried it a couple of times.

Searching for the Panamax now :eek:

I have the HTS-2500, it is currently used with a DirecTV HR10-250 and I have no problems. There are 3 inputs; ANT, CABLE & SAT. I use the ANT for my OTA HD, and the others for the dual tuners on the HR10-250. Again, I have no issues and it was explained to me that these are all identical (I could use ANT for SAT, vice versa).

I do not and will not ever have the 921 but I used to have the 301 and PVR-501 and this same unit worked fine for all E* channels. There was no HD at the time so I don't know about what Gregg has seen.

Your best bet is to always contact the manufacture ... they know for certain how your specific unit was designed.

FWIW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)