Montana PBS AMC 21 - strange !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
Just aimed my superdish at 125 w. Using Fortec Star Life. Did a Satellite scan and found the PBS SD and HD channels and they are watchable only ac3 audio of course. But on TP 12104 V 4.340 I got "1 Telarity Encoded" on the audio side via transponder scan.Then I did a custom scan using values 33 for Vid. and 38 for Aud. and PCR 33. Now the receiver found Ch-A on video side, but it comes up as a scrambled channel. Signal strength is 77% and 54%, not too much lower than the 12180. Probably an anamoly with my system, but are you folks getting Montana as usual?

nice and strong here in MN

Montana PBS has an issue sort of...next door at 123W is KTWO which is at 12104 V 2222. So it might be picking that up

I noticed the dish has to be bumped a little west to get Montana at a great signal on a 76cm

I am avid PBS viewer. On my AzBox Elite Montana PBS 12104MHz 4340Ks(V) SID 2 V-PID 33 A-PID 38 is in the clear. No problems receiving.

Telerity encoded is a PBS MPEG-4 signal often transmitted on 12095, ie fairly close to 12104 that Montanna is on, so if you're using blind search, you may come up with one or the other, or if your LNB is off freq a bit, same thing. It has pretty much the same SR as Montanna.
This 12095 transponder seems to change from one format to another to another, so it's not always the same content. When it comes up Telerity though, it almost always is in MPEG4 mode, so not all receivers will display the video. It's pretty amazing though that they put up a HD MPEG4 video in that 4340 SR, although it's very low quality.
A while back, I googled Telerity, and they are a company specializing in MPEG4, and one of their main contracts is with a southeast state (alabama or something) that is trying to distribute PBS signals around their state with a minimum of bandwidth. I really hope this isn't the future of PBS.

But they just got done forcing all their cable co's to move their dishes from AMC3 to AMC21 so why wouldnt they have done a MPEG4 change over then if they wanted to?

I still have a bunch of those pdf's about the move and what they needed to do...maybe I'll look through those and see if there is anything about possibly changing to a different format

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)