Montana PBS on Pansat 9200

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have yet to run across a channel that doesn't say "NO DATA!" when I hit the Text or Subtitle buttons. And my TV's don't get closed caption, (being fed via the composite video). Maybe the CC works on HDMI on some channels? I don't know.

I also use the composite cable. My TV is an older rear projection set that still has a great picture, but there is of course no hdmi. My Pansat 9200 however, displays the closed captions correctly. Maybe the software of the Openbox doesn't pass it along the composite cable. I have a smaller lcd tv that has hdmi, and I can connect it to see if if works. I'll try to do that this weekend.

You might want to wait until after March 15th, as that is when UWTV stops broadcasting on 123W at 12104 V 3361 (DVB-S2) and moves to a different transponder.

Thanks man, that is good to know. I bought a dual lnb so that I can use both of my receivers on 125W at the same time (brit coms on Montana PBS and LPB are on at the same time, unfortunately one is Horizontal and one Vertical so I can't daisy chain the receivers, and I want to record one and watch the other). I'll set it up this weekend and see what I can learn, and then wait for the 15th.

Just to close out this topic, I installed the dual lnb this weekend on my 125W dish, and tweaked to dish slightly so that I got the highest Q I could possibly get for 12105V (montanaPBS) on the Openbox, and I was able to get a very nice picture that would only occasionally lock up for a second or two. Not ideal, but acceptable for the time being. Maybe when UWTV goes dark, it will clear up completely. I could also watch any of the other transponders on 125W at the same time using the 9200 Pansat with excellent results.

On the CC topic, I installed the HDMI cable from the Openbox to our small HDTV upstairs, and although it produced an excellent picture (no green cast), the captions still show "no data".

One more thing that I learned about the Openbox last night is that the green tint to the picture when watching through the composite output can be minimised or removed completely by raising the contrast level in the Openbox display settings menu to 75 or so. This is something I noticed last night and I do not know if it will stand the test of time, but it looked promising. On my tv it doesn't actually seem to have much effect on the contrast, but changes the tint.

I'm in my first week of FTA joy here. My setup picks up sats from 61W (Amazonas 2) to 113W (Satmex6), but failed to find anything on AMC21 (and a few other sats).
In the case of AMC21, signal strength is around 75-80%, Q is 70-75%, but the receiver doesn't seem to find a single channel.... I tried everything from auto scan to blind scan to manual scan, tweaking everything I could possibly find on the PBS website but still no luck. I've seen lower signal Q on different sat without any problem tuning to the channel.... I wonder if there are other things I should be looking here...

Yes you're correct, zamar23 - WS9036 dish, my LNB is ESX521, and the receiver is Omegasat5700.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Andrew, From what I read about your receiver, it will not receive the DVB-S2 channels. That means that you cannot receive Montana, Oklahoma or Louisiana, but you should be able to get the national PBS channels on V-12180. This is a fairly strong transponder, and if you cannot get channels on it, you are probably not pointing at the right satellite. Try a scan of Vertical 12180 30.000, and see if you find anything.

andrew_h

This thread is about catching Montana PBS station, which is broadcast in DVB-S2 signal transmission standard, while your receiver's model Omegasat 5700 supports only DVB-S standard. You can't get it with this receiver, no matter what you do. However, there are other stations on that sat transmitting in clear in DVB-S standard, and you should be able to get them. The fact that you don't, probably goes back to incorrect mounting your dish on a polar mount. Its quite possible, your dish looks at a different sat, when you think it points to AMC21. The problem gets tougher since many linear sats wouldn't identify themselves...on your STB screen. You might be hitting a feed or internet TP on a different sat that transmits no content at the moment. :) Look at your motor scale and Lyngsat to figure out what sat your actually hitting. Also, update sat & TP list supplied with the STB. You might be able to use ChannelMaster software for that if it works with your STB model. Or, do it with Remote. You can get latest Sat & TP list at FastSatFinder site, then adjust the unpacked list to your STB format.

Last edited:
I realize this isn't exactly the right thread. My motor elevation angle is set correctly based on my latitude, and the azimuth is about correct as well since I am able to receive channels in most sats in between 61W and 113W, but beyond that range it's a hit and miss. I do think it needs fine adjustment...

Anyway - I just played around with the "transponder scan" and was able to pick up PBS (the one on DVB-S) and 2 others (can't remember what they are), so for some reason my receiver doesn't pick up channels when in full scan mode.

Apart from updating your Sat & TP list, there're few things you should worry about at fine tuning a motorized dish : plum pole, and tuned elevation, declination and due south direction to ensure reception on your visible arc both ends and in its center.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)