Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bluztrvler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
South Carolina
Greetings,

I just purchased a used Pansat 9200 with the DVB S2+ card so that I could once again watch Montana PBS, and so far no joy. I can get all of the other channels on AMC21 very well, with acceptably high quality, and I can get a lock on the 12105V transponder. If I do a blind search, I get nothing on that transponder, but if I manually enter the pid numbers I get Channel A but no audio or video. I noticed that the Montana PBS web site and LyngSat list one set of pid numbers, and Mike Kohl (skyvision) list another set. I have tried both and still nothing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

I have searched through the forums looking for an answer to this, but if it is there I have missed it. I did see one post where the poster got the same Channel A, but there was no indication of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

make sure the S2 board in your unit is PANSAT, there are some Iuminatti S2 board out there that won't work for real FTA S2 such as AMC121. Those were created to hack D1sh. There are 2 more S2 TPs in AMC 21 LPBS (12075 H) and OETA at 12112V. Are you getting them???

Here is the pansat USA link so you can double check if you have the latest Firmware. Also, you can see a picture of the Pansat S2 board. Once you see the picture and compare ith the one in your box you will know which one you have good luck!!!

PANAREX

Thanks very much for responding. The board is the Pansat S2+ board (I made sure of this before I bought it as I had read of the knock-offs that don't work properly), and it works great with other DVB S2 feeds such as LPB (12075H) and OETA (12112V).

The firmware could be the issue though. I was under the impression that it was the latest, but I haven't checked it to be sure. Will do that this evening.

Thanks again.

Thanks man,

I found that thread earlier, and it was what I was referring to when I mentioned that someone else had the same problem that I did with the 9200. After re-reading the thread, thanks to you, I see that there are actually two folks (truckracer and sleeper) that have the same problem. I can lock onto 12105 with good Q, but blind scan sees nothing. If I scan manually, I get a Channel A listed with no video or sound. I did notice that someone, I think it was carlospr43 said that he scanned 12106 and it worked. I will try that tonight. Montana's web site list the if as 12105.5, so maybe that 12106 is the secret.

I wonder if all of the 9200s are doing this.

Thanks again

I tried manually scanning 12106V last night with the same results as 12105V . It finds a Ch. A, but displays a blue screen with no sound or video. I didn't have time to do the firmware update last night, but hope to do it over the weekend. Maybe that will work.

I am wondering, has anyone successfully tuned Montana PBS on a 9200HD?

This is not the end of the world for me if I cannot make it work, but my Montana membership is coming up for renewal. LPB has a very good Brit-com line up and will make an acceptable substitute, but it just bugs me when I something should work and doesn't.

Thanks again for the suggestions

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my 9200HD. I suspect that the PBS Feeds Transponder 12095 V 4340 is interfering with the Montana PBS 12105 V 2398 transponder. The frequency is so close that the PBS Feeds will still play when I change the frequency from 12095 to 12105. My AzBox has no problem with either one

My 9200 doesn't have the S2 board, but that Montana transponder does some strange things to my Coolsat 8000 (lock-ups, rebooting etc) so I quit trying for it since I get everything else on that bird perfectly and in HD.

Thanks to all.

I don't seem to have any problem with the transponder itself. I can lock it with good Q and it is very stable.

I will still check to see if I have the latest firmware, but it doesn't look like that is the answer, does it?

I will continue to play around with this and if I find an answer, I will post it here.

I updated to the latest firmware last night but still no joy. I sent an email to Pansat, but I realize that the chances for a fix are slim. I bought this 9200 especially to watch Montana PBS, and it looks like that is the one channel that I can't get.

Guess I'm stuck until I can afford to get another receiver.

Thanks to all that responded.

I finally found a solution to this problem with the Pansat 9200 and Montana PBS. I bought an Openbox S9, and it immediately scanned the transponder and added the channel. For less than half the price of the 9200, I have a very capable receiver. The 9200 has a more refined user interface, but the OpenBox works well, and actually is much quicker on the blind scan. It also doesn't require an add on fan to keep it from overheating, like the 9200 does.

Wonder what it is about Montana PBS's transponder that the Pansat doesn't like.

I think I'd have to agree with JAS
I suspect that the PBS Feeds Transponder 12095 V 4340 is interfering with the Montana PBS 12105 V 2398 transponder.
Must be the Pansat's tuner is too wide to accurately decode the M-PBS stream. Also, 12095 V 4340 must stronger as my Openbox gets it easily on a .75 meter, but nothing on 12105. On the 1.2 meter, the Openbox has no problem getting Montana PBS on 12105. I agree totally with your assessment on the 9200's interface, heat problems and (painfully) slower blind scan. Although, it's a capable receiver. The SSO's seem to miss a lot of low SR (below 2000) TP's.

Thanks for the reply. That is kinda what I was thinking. 12105V's signal is marginal on the 1.0m, sometimes excellent, and at others not watchable. I probably will have to get a larger dish to receive it dependably.

Do you have any idea of how to get the closed captions to work with the Openbox?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. That is kinda what I was thinking. 12105V's signal is marginal on the 1.0m, sometimes excellent, and at others not watchable. I probably will have to get a larger dish to receive it dependably.

You might want to wait until after March 15th, as that is when UWTV stops broadcasting on 123W at 12104 V 3361 (DVB-S2) and moves to a different transponder. I know when I was peaking my dish to get Montana PBS I had to bump it slightly west to get the best signal for it, yet not lose too much quality on some of the other channels (LPBS to be exact). Montana PBS is marginal for me at times (it's in, then it's out, etc.) Looking forward to doing a re-point after UWTV stops broadcasting there!

I have yet to run across a channel that doesn't say "NO DATA!" when I hit the Text or Subtitle buttons. And my TV's don't get closed caption, (being fed via the composite video). Maybe the CC works on HDMI on some channels? I don't know.

I have yet to run across a channel that doesn't say "NO DATA!" when I hit the Text or Subtitle buttons. And my TV's don't get closed caption, (being fed via the composite video). Maybe the CC works on HDMI on some channels? I don't know.

Try Teleformula at 116ºW and a couple more channels from Honduras in that same sat ;). Although it'll be only three characters: 101.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts