More Acquisitions are Coming?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
From Time Magazine:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Joe Clayton, the incoming chief executive of Dish Network Corp., said Thursday that more acquisitions are on the horizon as the satellite TV provider pieces together a "new video model" to compete with other pay TV operators and rising stars such as Netflix Inc. In an interview with The Associated Press, Clayton said that recent acquisitions provided the framework for a model that will transform Dish's video delivery business. Last month, Dish bought Blockbuster Inc., a video rental chain that filed for bankruptcy protection. In February, Dish agreed to buy Hughes Communications Inc., a provider of Internet access through satellites, and DBSD North America Inc., which provides both satellite and land-based communications services. DBSD was also bought out of bankruptcy.
"We put the straight pieces of the puzzle together on the edges, now we're filling in the middle," Clayton said by phone from Dish's headquarters in Englewood, Colo. He made several references to buying companies to complement either Blockbuster or make use of DBSD's wireless spectrum.
"The basic building blocks are in place to add additional ones on top of it for, like I said, a landscaping change in the industry," he said.
Clayton, 61, was named CEO on Monday and is set to take the reins from the company's majority owner, Charlie Ergen, in June. Clayton said he will take over the day-to-day management of Dish while Ergen focuses on the strategic direction of the company. Ergen will remain Dish's chairman.
In a sign it is integrating its new assets, Dish announced Thursday that new subscribers would receive a free trial of mail-order disc service Blockbuster By Mail for three months.
But Clayton reiterated that Dish's complete strategy was not yet clear, saying "I don't have it all figured out yet."
His comments came two weeks after Ergen surprised analysts by comparing Dish's acquisition strategy to a "Seinfeld" episode, "where you didn't know exactly where that show was going but it seemed to all come together in that last couple of minutes."
In a research note, Collins Stewart analyst Thomas Eagan responded, "Wait a minute, didn't the Seinfeld characters wind up in jail?"
Part of the management change was meant to free Ergen up from daily worries and pull together the company's overall strategy.
Clayton said Dish had not given up on plans to challenge Netflix in the business of streaming video over the Internet.
"If I were them, I'd be watching what's going on," he said. "I'd stay tuned. Because no one's going to have a monopoly on this and I'm sure it's not just our company that's looking at trying to take a small piece of the pie from Netflix."
Clayton has a long history in the satellite business, helping launch DirecTV when he worked for General Electric Co. subsidiary RCA. It was at RCA that he met Ergen, who was then an RCA hardware distributor. Clayton later went on to be CEO of satellite radio company Sirius, where he signed Howard Stern and helped form Sirius XM Radio Inc. through a merger. He served as Sirius chairman until 2008. He joined the board of Dish's sister company, EchoStar Corp. in 2008.

Read more: New ‘Dish’ CEO: More Acquisitions On Horizon - Techland - TIME.com

Yes you can bet on DISH having a few more buys... ;)

I think its going to take 2 years for the full big picture to be assembled. But where they are going is very exciting and NO ONE will be able to match where they are going.

So DISH will be the MOVIE service. How about adding more premium HD movie channels like Thriller max, Outermax etc, like DIRECTV is doing? You really need to have the MOST hd movie channels if you want to be the Movie service.

If you look at the current movie set up with premiums and platinum movie lineup not to shabby I think it's good that they are looking outside the box on there services got to do that in today's environment

"Clayton later went on to be CEO of satellite radio company Sirius, where he signed Howard Stern and helped form Sirius XM Radio Inc. through a merger. He served as Sirius chairman until 2008. He joined the board of Dish's sister company, EchoStar Corp. in 2008."

I didn't know this, maybe there is potential talk of acquiring Sirius XM. Maybe a satellite quadruple package? Internet, phone, radio, and TV plus DVD rental service as part of TV service.

"Clayton later went on to be CEO of satellite radio company Sirius, where he signed Howard Stern and helped form Sirius XM Radio Inc. through a merger. He served as Sirius chairman until 2008. He joined the board of Dish's sister company, EchoStar Corp. in 2008."

I didn't know this, maybe there is potential talk of acquiring Sirius XM. Maybe a satellite quadruple package? Internet, phone, radio, and TV plus DVD rental service as part of TV service.

That would be very interesting. A company offering all of that could definitely make some serious revenue/profits. So let's see, Dish/Echostar acquire Blockbuster for DVD and movie streaming service, Hughesnet for internet, SiriusXM for radio, and a wireless phone company for phone service (my guess would be Sprint since AT&T is getting T-Mobile and Verizon and AT&T are just too big to acquire)

EDIT: I just checked and Sprint is still worth $16 billion. I don't think Dish/Echostar would be willing to spend that much of money to buy a company. http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/S

EDIT 2: I got a better guess: MetroPCS. Currently worth $6.4 billion. Still a lot compared to what E* spent on the others but could be worth it if they make a whole lot of money. http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/PCS

Last edited:
MikeD-C05 said:
So DISH will be the MOVIE service. How about adding more premium HD movie channels like Thriller max, Outermax etc, like DIRECTV is doing? You really need to have the MOST hd movie channels if you want to be the Movie service.

And since they alienated everyone in PR by removing the HD premiums, so much for being the Movie company. I think there plan changes every week. Maybe like Newt, Charlie has two ideas every minute

I wasn't aware Directv had any of the Epix channels, any of the plex HD channels, TCM, or even AMC in HD. Honestly, after the first few of any of the premium service channels, the rest just play the same movies. Miss one on one Max or Showtime channel, see it on another two days later. But, yes, I'll take them.

Yes, Howard was following his original true believer and close business associate Mel K. over to Sirius. Joe happens to be there at the time. In fact, Stern go a lot of stock in the company for going over AND he would be working for his greatest protector:
Mel K.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)