More HD or more pseudo HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
When everyone asks for more HD, please ask for more true HD. (such as what is on HDNET and Discovery) not upconverted crap. (HBO SHO etc.)

I don't want more channels claiming to be HD I want the true stuff all the time on that channel. (ex. ESPN and TNT)

Becareful what you ask for....I mean what is out there that can be added that is worth the offering. (MonstersHD?)

We need more content to be available as well as offered.

What is out there that is "True" HD all the time. Almost everything is up-converted, even on HDNET, and HDNET Movies. HDNET plays old TV shows, HDNET movies plays old Movies, and I've seen a lot on both channels that have the bars on top and bottom. (which isn't "True" HD) For the exception of Discovery HD, I don't know of any channel that is "True" HD all the time (and even then who knows for sure). Name five channels that play nothing but true HD all the time. Movie channels, sports channels, and etc. all play a mixture of true HD and up-converted HD so you will never get a channel that gives you true HD all the time right now.

re post

Right maybe I should re word my post...

I would like HD channels but don't squeeze them on one transponder. Discovery looks like crap now. TNT is horrible.

What else is available besides the VOOM exclusive stuff?

Universal - what HD do they offer?
INHD - isn't this HDnet
Locals - I think this is a waste, if people need this get an antenna, it's better looking as well
Movie channels HD - I saw Max and Starz HD and its not that great looking

I just don't want them to add more to exisitng transponders.

Also D and E should get together and share LIL HD when they can. Having 2 services offer the same LIL HD's is a total waste.

tonyp56 said:
What is out there that is "True" HD all the time. Almost everything is up-converted, even on HDNET, and HDNET Movies. HDNET plays old TV shows, HDNET movies plays old Movies, and I've seen a lot on both channels that have the bars on top and bottom. (which isn't "True" HD) For the exception of Discovery HD, I don't know of any channel that is "True" HD all the time (and even then who knows for sure). Name five channels that play nothing but true HD all the time. Movie channels, sports channels, and etc. all play a mixture of true HD and up-converted HD so you will never get a channel that gives you true HD all the time right now.

Hum...what does the aspect ratio and or the age of the film have to do with if it is 'True' HD or not?

Film has a higher resolution than HD and the aspect ratio is just that the format in which the film was shot.

True HD is 16x9, with no bars on top or bottom or sides. If you are watching HBO HD, and the picture doesn't fill the screen on the sides, that means that the show you are watching isn't true HD, even though it is playing on an HD channel. When there is bars on top and bottom, that means that the picture has been stretched out (upconverted, or simply converted to fit a widescreen TV), think of it this way, if you took your old TV and grabbed the sides and stretched your TV so that it was now a 16x9, it would have lost height and gained width, the same thing happens to a picture! (remember those screens before a movie would start? Telling you that the film had be fixed so that it would fit on your screen, so in a way I am talking about aspect ratio, just taking the aspect ratio of a 4x3 TV (1.33:1) and making it fill a aspect ratio of a 16x9 TV (1.78:1))

Now aspect ratio is different, 1.78:1 is what an 16x9 TV is, most new movies are made at around 2.33:1, which is why when you watch a DVD that is that aspect ratio you have bars at top and bottom, because the film is wider than the TV, and your DVD/TV have to compress the width and height and hence the bars at the top and bottom.

Take a look at TNT-HD when they play something that isn't true HD, perhaps a TV show or something, if you notice they fill the screen on their HD channel, but, the people have distorted bodies, faces, etc., that is because TNT just stretches the film so that it will fill the 16x9, the same way that you stretch the screen when you watch a SD channel on your wide screen, HDNET Movies when they play a movie with bars on it on top and bottom, that means that they didn't stretch it up/down/side to side, they stretched it side to side only which causes a loss on the height but it doesn't cause distortions (or at least not as much). Old TV shows and movies were not made for HD which is widescreen, someone had to take them and digitize them to make them wider than they were. Which is up converting, I never said that old TV shows aren't good, I was making an argument against the idea that everything is "True" HD, without up conversion! Check out HDTVoice.com, and read some of their FAQs, and some of their post, it discusses how to tell if what you are watching is true HD. It should fill your screen completely, if it doesn't, it isn't actually true HD. Which when you look at Discovery HD, their picture isn't distorted nor does it have bars on it. That is because at least most of the time they record everything with HD cameras and etc...

Now of course they used to have 4x3 HDTV's, and when something was true HD on one of those TV's it would have bars on top and bottom, because just like on DVDs, the width and height had to be compressed, to fit the width of the TV, and because of this there was bars on top and bottom.

The idea that all "True HD" must be 16:9 (1.78:1 AR) seems a stretch to me. I would rather see movies in their original aspect ratio (be it 1.85:1 or 2.33:1) in "True HD" resolution, than to see them cropped to fit 16:9 (1.78:1) I didn't like Pan&Scan on 4:3, and I'm not a fan of it on 16:9 either!

DWS44 said:
The idea that all "True HD" must be 16:9 (1.78:1 AR) seems a stretch to me. I would rather see movies in their original aspect ratio (be it 1.85:1 or 2.33:1) in "True HD" resolution, than to see them cropped to fit 16:9 (1.78:1) I didn't like Pan&Scan on 4:3, and I'm not a fan of it on 16:9 either!

I agree. 16:9 is nothing more than an aspect ratio and has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is HD or not. Think DVDs...excellent picture, especially with progressive scan, but definitely not HD quality. HD is a standard (720p or 1080i) that has to do with how the picture is scanned. Just because there are bars at the top/bottom or on the sides has nothing to do with HD. A down-converted film whose original aspect ratio was 4:3 or 2.33:1 (or whatever the producer/director selected) can still be "true HD" regardless of bars on the screen.

Thread going bad

I should make sure I reiterate.

I would like less compression on real HD channels Discovery HDnet etc.

I don't like wasted sat space filled with upconvert movie channels.

I want more good content before they fill up space with everything HD unless it looks really good.

Thanks

I don't even own an HDTV yet and I agree entirely. The HD stream should be "pure". It's all about priority. First, they should worry about taking all of their HD channels and pair them up, two per transponder with nothing else on those transponders. THEN, cram the SD channels into all the remaining satellite capacity. Compress the SD ones as you need to, BUT don't make them unwatchable--but now we're getting into subjective terms... We're basically to a point in time where HD channels should be considered primary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)