More installer humor. (Grounding related)

pfef98

SatelliteGuys Family
May 31, 2004
Pace, FL
The installer who did my install a few weeks ago did it the morning I was flying out of town, and I didn't have time to notice whether he grounded the dish properly or not, I asked the guy, and he said "It's ok".

Fast forward to when I get back in town and do a thorogh inspection. No grounding, whatsoever. Nothing on the coax, nothing on the dish, no grounding at all. I call the installer and he says "I've been installing all kinds of dishes for 15 years and we have more lightning problems with grounded installations than non-grounded installations, so we don't ground them unless the customer specifically requests"

So they're coming out Wednesday to ground it properly.

Glad these guys are using anecdotal data instead of science and NEC to install these dishes.

--Matt

PSB

On vacation
Nov 5, 2003
:D Now if only EVERYONE done this we would be getting somewhere, well done its just not fair to the customer, the retailer, REAL installers, D* or E* not to ground to local and NEC code! Great Story!

CablerMN

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 10, 2004
Grand Rapids, MN
It's an all to common problem experienced nationwide. What I find even more troubling is that the installer lied straight to your face and then tried to lay the responsibility back on you for not requesting it.

ken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Sorry, but I agree with the installer... I'm glad I don't do satellite anymore.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
How can you agree with the installer? How can you have more lightning problems with grounding? With PROPER grounding to NEC code you will stop the possibility of having the lightning destroy your TV and receiver.

Jahntassa

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 4, 2004
Atlanta, GA
No grounding on my install, either. Got me slightly concerned...also, my apartment has NO grounded outlets..i'm taking up the apartment complex on that one...

jlhugh

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
Austin, Texas, United States
Neutron said:
How can you agree with the installer? How can you have more lightning problems with grounding? With PROPER grounding to NEC code you will stop the possibility of having the lightning destroy your TV and receiver.

If lightning strikes the dish, that little ground wire is not going to save your stuff. The only reason you need to ground is to get rid of the static electricity that builds up on the lines. This will cause problems with signal and other things. A ground wire will not save your equipment. That wire will melt like butter.

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
Shenanigans.

Grounding has no effect on functionality. It makes no electrical sense at all.

You are right in the fact that it dissipates the static that would build up on the lines. That static is what attracts lightning.

So, vis a vis, grounding helps get rid of lightning.

I think the bigger problem is that these installers who 'think' they're having bigger problems when they do ground it is because they are not grounding it properly. You need a dual lug ground block, a messenger wire grounding the dish to the ground block, and a wire from the ground block to the NEC ground.

If they think running a green wire from the ground block to the rod is going to suffice, they're mistaken. That'll provide a path from the dish to ground through the LNBF, and not dissipate static from the dish.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.

Mickdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 26, 2004
I agree!!!

jlhugh said:
If lightning strikes the dish, that little ground wire is not going to save your stuff. The only reason you need to ground is to get rid of the static electricity that builds up on the lines. This will cause problems with signal and other things. A ground wire will not save your equipment. That wire will melt like butter.
I once experienced a lightening strike on a tv that was not even plugged in, with no antena attached. The bolt hit the house, came down the wall wiring, out the socket, and smack, right into the TV three feet from the wall. Go figure! Lightining will go where it wants, or is directed by a higher entity, iregardless of grounding. But, it does get rid of static, and stray electrons that may escape the general current flow, and any electrons that may escape in a short. Also there are electronic components that will not work properly without grounding, ie. ATX power supplies for computers. And as far as insurance companies go, many policies require grounding, ie. the insurance issued by electric companies to cover equipment whacked by surges. I must aadmit though that my system is not grounded, works fine, and if a storm rolls around, I disconnect the cable to the receiver and cut the power. Let a strike be due to a higher entitities direction! :rolleyes:

PSB

On vacation
Nov 5, 2003
Its the code, so I do it, I sign saying I have done it, so I do it, the work will be rejected if checked and I will be charged back, so I do it, if the customer checks the manual it says it should be grounded to local and NEC code SO I DO IT, a few months ago I was asked to the state board of electricity and they told me I should continue the good work so I do it, just back from further education to keep my license, so I do it, I follow local and NEC code, if I cant I let the above "Pros" do the install, then I return to take pictures : ) Grounding is not an optional extra, its a MUST! If in doubt call your state electricity board, I think I will take their word before I take the above advice!

Mickdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 26, 2004
Code

PSB said:
Its the code, so I do it, I sign saying I have done it, so I do it, the work will be rejected if checked and I will be charged back, so I do it, if the customer checks the manual it says it should be grounded to local and NEC code SO I DO IT, a few months ago I was asked to the state board of electricity and they told me I should continue the good work so I do it, just back from further education to keep my license, so I do it, I follow local and NEC code, if I cant I let the above "Pros" do the install, then I return to take pictures : ) Grounding is not an optional extra, its a MUST! If in doubt call your state electricity board, I think I will take their word before I take the above advice!
Here is some code .--/./.-../.-..//.--/---/---/.--./-.--!!! :smug

PSB

On vacation
Nov 5, 2003
Well Woopy! to you I am very proud to work to local and NEC code, and to be a State Licensed "Technology Systems Contractor/Power Limited Technician"

... -.-. --- - .-.. .- -. -.. / - .... . / -... .-. .- ...- .

murf

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 4, 2003
Grounding is bull. Can cause more problems than you think. Also your phone lines are more likely to carry a strike than anything else. During storms be sure to disconnect your receiver.

Mickdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 26, 2004
Well,

murf said:
Grounding is bull. Can cause more problems than you think. Also your phone lines are more likely to carry a strike than anything else. During storms be sure to disconnect your receiver.
An Improper ground can cause problems, however I agree that during a storm, cut the power, disconect the cable, pull the phone line, if you got a computer do the same here! At least then if you do get hit, it was meant to!!! :eek:

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
You sound like my mother in law.. who disconnects every damn thing from a power socket and sits in the dark in a thunderstorm.

If you're going to get struck by lightning, you're going to get struck by lightning. If you want to minimize your chances, you properly ground your dish. If you're and installer, it's in your or your employer's contract. Period. So do it and stop being a lazy pud.

Dish's warranty does not cover acts of God, including lightning, which should be covered under any homowner's policy. So If your installer didn't ground your dish, and you get struck, you're SOL anyway. Claim it on your policy, Dish will give them a quote.

Mickdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 26, 2004
Oh Boy!

bcshields said:
You sound like my mother in law.. who disconnects every damn thing from a power socket and sits in the dark in a thunderstorm.

If you're going to get struck by lightning, you're going to get struck by lightning. If you want to minimize your chances, you properly ground your dish. If you're and installer, it's in your or your employer's contract. Period. So do it and stop being a lazy pud.

Dish's warranty does not cover acts of God, including lightning, which should be covered under any homowner's policy. So If your installer didn't ground your dish, and you get struck, you're SOL anyway. Claim it on your policy, Dish will give them a quote.
1. I am not an installer, but if I was I would ground it cause it calls for it.
2. I'm not rich, that's why I pull the power, the cable, the phone line, etc.
3. Thanks for agreeing that if your going to get struck, your going to get struck!!! :smug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)