More networks in HD on Dish?

sinnfein07

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
New York City
Is is possible that Dish will work with some 'major' DMAs to provide HD feeds from ABC, NBC, FOX, or the Superstations?

Maybe from one of the distant DMAs (NYC or LA?) so that all of those local customers, and those that get distant networks would have access to something other than just CBS? Why is that CBS is already available, but none of the other network or Supers from the NY or LA DMAs?

Thoughts? Any reason that this isn't feasible?

Don't count on it. Only 30% of subscribers can get CBS today. You need to qualify. CBS, Dish and Sears have a special partnership to get CBS shown on Sears using Dish signal.

Sean Mota said:
Don't count on it. Only 30% of subscribers can get CBS today. You need to qualify. CBS, Dish and Sears have a special partnership to get CBS shown on Sears using Dish signal.

I hate asking this question as I know it has been asked many times before, but say you receive distant CBS networks through Dish Network from a waiver by your closest CBS affiliate, would you not get CBS-HD added at no cost?! I don't see any reason why you couldn't?!

~Alan

Alan Gordon wrote:
say you receive distant CBS networks through Dish Network from a waiver by your closest CBS affiliate, would you not get CBS-HD added at no cost?

Yes, you would receive the CBSHD feed.

:) :)

cbs hd feed

CBSHD is listed in the new dhp flyer with the 322/522 it's 4.99 a month la carte

At least Dish chose not to charge more for CBS HD than they do for CBS SD.

I would not count on seeing HD from the other networks on Dish for a while on a national basis. Dish's main concentration is getting local SD markets up.

Alan Gordon said:
Sean Mota said:

I hate asking this question as I know it has been asked many times before, but say you receive distant CBS networks through Dish Network from a waiver by your closest CBS affiliate, would you not get CBS-HD added at no cost?! I don't see any reason why you couldn't?!

~Alan

You still have to be in a DMA for a CBS owned & operated station.
ex. Baltimore DMA , station there owned by CBS network.

Robert

Tahoerob said:
You still have to be in a DMA for a CBS owned & operated station. ex. Baltimore DMA , station there owned by CBS network.

This is why I asked again, because some people say one thing, and some another. There are NO CBS affiliates in my DMA. The closest CBS from me is the Columbus, GA (125 DMA) 60-70 miles from me in which I receive a "Grade B" signal from, although if that's a "Grade B" signal, I'd hate to see a "Grade F" signal. The next closest CBS from me is the Tallahassee CBS, but I'm not eligible for that signal as the Columbus station is closer to me. I have a waiver with DirecTV for the distant ABC feeds through my closest ABC affiliate also in Columbus. I'm hoping to get a waiver from CBS again with either DirecTV or Dish Network, and I'd be VERY interested in getting the Hi-Def feed (from Dish if I switch) as I doubt I'm close enough to any of my local channels to get a Hi-Def signal from since I can't get a decent analog signal (except for PBS).

~Alan

You can also get CBS-HD if you're in a "White Area" which is an area where you cannot receive an over-the-air signal from CBS. I live 65 miles from Atlanta and an equal distance from Chattanooga and although technically I'm in the Atlanta ADI, I do qualify for New York and LA locals along with CBS-HD without waivers.

My location was originally considered a "white area". When my Dish installer first contacted me about the installation (this was about 5 years ago) and asked about what programming I wanted, I replied that we wanted the distant broadcast networks on both coasts. He said he would have to call a number and use my zip code to find out which of the networks I qulaified for. He called back in about 10 minutes and said I was the first person he had ever seen that qualified for all 5 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS). However, about three years after that we found out that Dallas stations were available that we could get as our "locals". We called and made the switch and guess what? We lost our CBS station during the switch because our local station here refused to allow us to get another CBS station. Dish couldn't touch our CBS station on the west coast because we didn't fool with that programming, but they wouldn't let us have CBS Dallas. Neither would Fox.

So, my question is, why was my area a "white area" at one time and suddenly it was not? Who makes these decisions and how often do they revise them?

Stacy

sinnfein07 said:
Is it possible that Dish will work with some 'major' DMAs to provide HD feeds from ABC, NBC, FOX, or the Superstations? Maybe from one of the distant DMAs (NYC or LA?) so that all of those local customers, and those that get distant networks would have access to something other than just CBS? Why is that CBS is already available, but none of the other network or Supers from the NY or LA DMAs? Thoughts? Any reason that this isn't feasible?

They have looked at this possibility continuously for about the past two years or so, if not longer. They settled on doing CBS-HD because it has the most owned and operated stations covering the most people of all the networks, making it worthwhile to sign a deal with the parent network. Also, CBS came out with the most HD programming early, making it a good addition to DISH's lineup. Still, only about 30% of DISH's HD customers can qualify for CBS-HD without a waiver from their local station. Next in line would be ABC, but there has been no visible movement from either DISH or the network. ABC has Monday Night Football, a growing list of primetime HD and Disney's entire library of films, so would make a good next choice if a deal could be done. DISH could provide the top four networks from 20 DMA's using AMC-15 at 105W starting late next year, but they have chosen to load up 105 with SD channels instead, to lure new subscribers away from cable. Expanding locals and internationals is where the money is for DISH.

--- WCS

TBarclay said:
You can also get CBS-HD if you're in a "White Area" which is an area where you cannot receive an over-the-air signal from CBS. I live 65 miles from Atlanta and an equal distance from Chattanooga and although technically I'm in the Atlanta ADI, I do qualify for New York and LA locals along with CBS-HD without waivers.

Hmm, that's strange. I can get two CBS's over the air, although I can't get a good enough signal to tell if I'm looking at Ellen DeGeneres or George W. Bush, and so I'm very interested in why I shouldn't be eligible for CBS-HD.

~Alan

Hmm, that's strange. I can get two CBS's over the air, although I can't get a good enough signal to tell if I'm looking at Ellen DeGeneres or George W. Bush, and so I'm very interested in why I shouldn't be eligible for CBS-HD.

~Alan[/quote]

Come to think of it, you never see Ellen DeGeneres or George W. Bush together in the same room. I wonder if - nah, can't be...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)