Most people don't know what FTA satellite TV is

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Most people don't know what true FTA satellite TV is or even exists.

I have read and heard from people who use true FTA satellite systems that their relatives, friends, neighbors, etc. never heard about Free to air television.

What can we (the forum members and sponsors) do to make FTA more popular amongst the masses?

The satellite TV enthusiast is willing to tinker and point and tweak dishes, spend hours looking for new feeds etc.

The typical consumer wants to sit back and watch TV, browse the EPG and COMPLAIN at the first opportunity something isn't 100% to their satisfaction.

People ask me all the time if I can get them free TV. When I explain what it's all about, what's up there and what's involved, the interest fades.

Most people want the easy, no hassle TV setup. That is understandable for the majority of the society.

On the other hand, I feel there are a lot of people (i.e. the mechanically and electronically inclined, the hobbyists, the DIYs, the multi-cultural, the immigrants, the religiously devoted, etc) in the USA who cherish freedom of choice, don't care about MSM, don't mind getting their hands dirty, and would love to get involved in this hobby. That is if, they become aware of its existance.

How do we raise awareness?

The typical un-educated customer is not going to do their own installation, and they are not going to know enough to know what to look for on ebay.

Not trying to put down FTA satellite, but as hobbyists you see things differently as the typical customer. I deal with thousands of customers a year, and I know that the typical customer will not go through the hassle of setting up a FTA system.

Advertise to specific audiences, with different advertisements for each audience.

Christian market / Alternative talk radio listeners / Ethnic market / Hobbyist market

It is my personal contention that we should not do too much to promote FTA at this time other than what we are currently doing.

Secondly, for most people out there, the notion of this being a primarily DIY adventure may seem too involved and too much without guarantee.

Look at where the advertising dollar are going now a days: Yes, you guessed it, the INTERNET. If you think about it, the internet is kind of an FTA medium where people can watch shows, and other people's videos for free (i.e. You Tube, Google, Yahoo, etc).

The networks realized that more and more people are spending more time on the internet than actually watching TV, so they have changed their advertising offer / strategy.

There you have it. Go where the audiences are.

The same thing with FTA TV. In Europe, Middle East, Asia, most people watch FTA TV. The channels and advertisers know that. That is where they spend their money.

I'm with Claude.:(
Sorry too many law suits flying around about FTA and stealing signals.

(reply to Hemi) But that is not real FTA.

Thats the thing.

I have waded through near every post here and the major theme seems to be that FTA TV has a very select and specific audience which must be targeted.

I think that we forget that most people are not like us. We are unique and have a very special set of hobbies that the majority of the general populace will not or even could not endulge in. Our education or our interests lead us to something that the average person wouldn't nornally consider.

Therefore, marketing of FTA should first be directed towards others like us, but who have not yet discovered this "hobby". Therefore, the question is, how do we reach this ilk?

Direct marketing of FTA TV may not serve the purpose. If a person is not already on the internet, researching something within the realm of FTA (i.e. dish antennas, LNBFs, receivers, motors, etc) they would likely never find any links that would attract their attention.

For example, I was blissfully ignorant of FTA until I went looking for a replacement remote control for my DN 301 receiver on E-Bay (DN wanted too much for a new one). During my search, I found the Coolsat 5000 receiver instead and the rest was history.

The logical direction would be to determine what we FTA enthusiasts have as other hobbies (that are more main stream) and use those interests as bait to reel in more fish to FTA.

So, what are YOUR other hobbies and interests? Take these other hobbies and find someway to link them to FTA. Use the publicity of the more "main-stream" hobbies to help improve the exposure of FTA endeavors. How to do that will require some brainstorming, but that is probably going to be the most productive route.

RADAR

So, what are YOUR other hobbies and interests? Take these other hobbies and find someway to link them to FTA. Use the publicity of the more "main-stream" hobbies to help improve the exposure of FTA endeavors. How to do that will require some brainstorming, but that is probably going to be the most productive route.

RADAR

My interests are computers (including Linux) and ham radio, solar power and electronic related items. I can see a tie in between FTA and ham radio, after all both hobbies are intertwined with the goal of searching for signals.

The computer enthusiast (especially Linux fans) might have a interest in FTA due to the grassroots and technical appeal. The free software nature of Linux and the free nature of FTA could compliment each other.

Home theater enthusiasts are a untapped market, some spend a lot of money on a state of the art sound system and of course the TV. For them to spend a couple of hundred dollars to get more channels (especially if they are set up for HD) ...it would be a a no brainer...

Some markets untapped.

1. Ham Radio > hamfests, ham radio magazines, demonstrations at ham radio meetings, demonstrations at field day. Technical nature of ham radio might appeal to ham radio enthusiasts.

2 . Computer Shops. > refurbish and repair shops, linux magazines (could dovetail nicely with Linux' Myth TV), mainstream computer publications, podcasts.

3. Home theater stores. > home theater stores, home theater magazines, brochures, (appeal would be that FTA would be an addition to what they get now, and that they can get stations that their neighbors can't) (brag and pride factor).

4. Sports bars?> Wild sports feeds would be the main appeal here...but of course could not be relied on. Legalities..if any?

zamar

Since it wasn't clear on the page, we have to do something about it. Any suggestions?
Jamal

I didn't do an in-depth survey of your website, so can miss some material presented there. Every time I look at your site, the impression is it was crafted in good English very carefully by someone who knows this business well, probably a (former) hobbyist as well. ;) I'm missing some components their I'd gladly buy from you due to good S&H terms and reputation, but that's always a business choice. Btw, I wonder, how did you manage to get 2009 Best of Columbus Award - share your secrets please. :)

Usually it takes me 2-3 min to get oriented around a complex website, but your site is simple structured on purpose and packed with useful info at the same time. I can tell you for sure, I never paid attention to that "First Timers" button or any of its Yellow Buttons until you pointed at it. Not when I first visited your site about a year ago, not even now, when specifically looking for "FTA Sat TV Info" due to this thread.

So without attempting to tell you how to improve business - that would be naive - it may be worth considering moving "First Timers" button on top of FTA List in the same column, and renaming it to "Sat TV Intro" or similar. I'd also add a similar "Satellite TV Info" link to the bottom of your site page, where buyers usually look for the site address, shipping methods and policies.

Other than that, I'd add a well pictured "Satellite Signal Distribution" Guide to your Manuals lineup. Buying a Sat Equipment Combo and looking through Dish Aiming guide isn't enough for a beginner, unless you show how to distribute a signal around the house, and explain basic FTA components used for that, and how to select them for typical installs. This is not a trivial task for a newbie, despite "splitter" sounds simplistic. I do understand, most of your info was prepared professionally by DN and DTV Tech Writing departments, but only for their equipment. So, on FTA side you're on your own, but sure your staff can handle it well, equipped with wisdom of specialized knowledge, experience, software and massive editable diagram sample collection. ;)

Can't suggest anything else at the moment, since I didn't do a comprehensive look around. But to plan a signal distribution and select the best for my setup components and tools to install them while controlling cost took me serious effort initially, and still keep bothering me now and then, requiring expert advice. I actually started "Splitters" and "Switches" forum threads for that reason (look through them), since this systemic info was thoroughly missed everywhere I looked. Surprisingly, some people don't realize that or too ambitious to fix own errors, actively engaging others to block discussion of any improvements to FTA section and trying to impose a sort of monopoly to define how and what content is presented. :)

Sites like SatGuys do a lot to promote Sat TV, and are excellent info source, but IMHO some areas as always need improvement. I'd look at FAQ area first, adding such topics like "Basic Signal Distribution Components", "What FTA Sat TV is" and "How to convert to FTA". SatGuys sponsors actively try to promote positive tone on this site, but I don't see much effort on your particular side on how to improve its FTA section content structure and keep mind open to such proposals, having structured mechanism to discuss them in a positive way (new Site Suggestions Voting Threads Section?), and IMHO it is long overdue. Hence another suggestion: "Who pays money - order the music." At times it's indeed required. :D

Last edited:

RADAR

Radar, very valid point indeed. This will require a thread on its own. Your proposal is like a "nugget find" in the desert using a metal detector. So to speak, you hit the nail on the head.

Jamal I never paid attention to that "First Timers" button or any of its Yellow Buttons until you pointed at it. ......

....it may be worth considering moving "First Timers" button on top of FTA List in the same column, and renaming it to "Sat TV Intro" or similar. I'd also add a similar "Satellite TV Info" link to the bottom of your site page, where buyers usually look for the site address, shipping methods and policies.

Good suggestions, and will pursue.

I also like your suggestion about Satelliteguys forum adding topics like:

• "Basic Signal Distribution Components",
  • "What FTA Sat TV is" and
  • "How to convert to FTA"

There is advertisements from Over The Air channels saying that special interest is trying to shut them down. We know what that means to those who are not subscribers to Directv, Dish, and Bell. You won't have any television in your home at all. They tried to shut down FTA in court and lost, so they are trying this angle since they know that most people don't know about FTA. It would be nice if the local channels were on Ku band like they are on the C band. I am tired of paying over $100.00 a month to Directv for old material I can see on local channels and don't watch my Directv system much except when in bed now. Most of my time is spent watching local channels on OTA and FTA in my living room.

WHAT IS FTA? This is my version of the definition.

Reading through all the threads regarding our hobby, it comes to mind that outsiders don’t understand what FTA really is, because no one has ever sat down with them and explained it. We have a stigma to overcome that this is NOT a pirating venture. They still might not understand or believe it, but here is my attempt at an explanation….

What is FTA television?

How do you explain FTA television to a layperson who has never been exposed to such an enterprise? Let’s analyze the different systems of receiving television or radio signals individually and compare them.

The most original and popularly understood method of communication would be the AM radio. Everyone recognizes what AM radio means without going into technical descriptions. It has been around a long time and is still widely used today. On Christmas Eve 1906, Canadian Reginald Fessenden broadcast the first AM radio show. The more widely listened to radio format is FM radio. It has superior sound quality and noise rejection. FM radio is credited to the American electrical engineer Edwin Howard Armstrong who patented it in 1914.

AM and FM radio are broadcast free via over the air (OTA) terrestrial or earth based antennas.

The first regularly scheduled television service in the United States began on July 2, 1928. The Federal Radio Commission authorized Charles F. Jenkins to broadcast from an experimental station W3XK in Maryland. Anyone who was able to receive the broadcast were not charged any fee.

TV and radio broadcasts have expanded greatly since then. Most of us are familiar with setting up antennas on rooftops or in attics to receive television broadcasts “Over The Air” for free. Many of us grew up on this style of television where there were two, three or four stations locally.

Some of us will remember black and white Sylvania sets with rabbit ear antennas and bad vertical or horizontal hold control and poor reception. One of your younger brothers or sisters were volunteered to hold the antenna to get better reception while you watched your favorite show. You also might remember getting up from your seat repeatedly to readjust the H. Hold or V. Hold as the set warmed up. Ah the days! :)

Today, television and radio broadcasts are available not only over terrestrial antennas, but also via satellite sources.

In North America, many of us are familiar with Dish Network, DirecTV, Bell Express, Shaw or Sky satellite TV or XM and Sirius Radio providers among some others. These are all subscription based television/radio broadcasts. You must pay them for the equipment and the privilege to view their broadcasts.

You can still view your local channels today for free via a house antenna. Of course the signals are almost all converted to digital now and a different antenna and TV set or a converter box is used. However, what many don’t realize is that there are satellite television broadcasts that are apart from Dish Network, DirecTV, Bell Express and the others which are actually free for you to view, IF you are willing to purchase and set up the equipment (a satellite dish antenna) or pay someone to set it up for you.

After the initial expense of the antenna, receiver and other associated peripheral hardware and installation, there is no monthly fee to view the programming available. The programming varies depending upon the satellite and the providers available there.

The subscription services such as Dish Network or DirecTV have a great niche for the premium channels, but you must pay for it. FTA satellite television and radio do not charge you directly, so their source of revenue is primarily through advertising and government or corporate grants. In cases such as PBS, public and private donations and foundations help support their stations.

In this way, FTA satellite television and radio are identical to your local OTA (Over-The-Air) TV and AM / FM Radio broadcasts. The only differences are that the antenna is a satellite dish and the receiver and hardware to support it are unique.

Receiving and viewing FTA satellite and radio broadcasts is absolutely legal and legitimate just the same as it is for you to receive your local TV and radio stations for free via your OTA digital TV antenna or via your car’s radio.

FTA satellite TV and radio should be investigated as either an alternative or at least an additional resource for the modern TV consumer. There are many interesting and specialty programs available here that you cannot find on other resources and the programming itself is free of charge.

AcWxRADAR

Last edited:
Maybe it was mentioned before, but the acronym FTA is widely associated with pirating satellite signals because the medium used to do so was legal FTA receivers. If you do a search for FTA due to the longevity of those receivers being used for pirating, there are probably thousands of sites that speak of how to steal encrypted signals. Couple this with the fact that FTA was not at all popular before and anyone who hears the term now and research it are scared away from what they find (much less wants anyone to see an "odd" looking dish on their property that is not or does not have the pizza dish guy's logo). Even on eBay listings, the term 'hack' and 'pirate' and 'steal' is mentioned somewhere in a lot of ads for receivers (although for the purpose of the seller making potential buyers aware that it is to be used for legal intended purposes). With a stigma like that attached to an acronym which defines an industry or hobby would help to explain the tough sell. Perhaps a new termed should be coined and promoted or beg at the doorsteps of Google et al to delete the association of the current term to the illegal stuff in their engine

Perhaps a new termed should be coined and promoted

I like to see a universally used (public domain so to speak) LOGO to define FTA. Then members of this forum and ours can post the logo on their websites,forums, and blogs. Also, along with the logo, do a short writeup like RADAR did to promote the free and legitimate FTA hobby. If anyone here is a graphics designer here and would like to design an FTA logo for us, we would appreciate it. A few logo samples and can be presented, and members can choose the one they like the most through a poll thread.

Then each member can add links to their favorite FTA vendor. Imagine, we have over 50,000 members on here that are interested in FTA.

Can you imagine the positive impact and public relations outreach this will bring to our hobby?

Last edited:
There is also a more detail Wikipedia article on what FTA is. It would be hard to coin a different term for it, but "Public Satellite Television" may be one of these.

Radar,

Fantastic writeup. Can I quote you on this on my website? :)

Jamal,

Yes, you certainly may use this on your site. You can quote me if you wish, or just post it as a statement with no credits. I would probably run it through spell check first, though. If you want to alter it (add or omit anything or elaborate on anything with your own words) please feel free to do so. I wrote it up kind of on the fly, so I am sure it could be better written if I spent more time with it.

If anyone wishes to use the basic structure for their own purposes, that is fine with me. It is for the benefit of our hobby.

RADAR

Home theater enthusiasts are a untapped market, some spend a lot of money on a state of the art sound system and of course the TV. For them to spend a couple of hundred dollars to get more channels (especially if they are set up for HD) ...it would be a a no brainer...
While there is a bit of FTA in HD, I don't think the average HT user or enthusiast will consider FTA, even if they know what it is about, mostly becasue the content they want is not there, or they already get for free from antenna.
Some markets untapped.

1. Ham Radio > hamfests, ham radio magazines, demonstrations at ham radio meetings, demonstrations at field day. Technical nature of ham radio might appeal to ham radio enthusiasts.
Those and Short-Wave listeners, both for the challenge of finding things, tinkering, and keeping abreast on world events and culture.
2 . Computer Shops. > refurbish and repair shops, linux magazines (could dovetail nicely with Linux' Myth TV), mainstream computer publications, podcasts.
Some of the computer stores around here deal in FTA. Of course, they cater to you-know-who.
The good stores probably do not want to get involved.
3. Home theater stores. > home theater stores, home theater magazines, brochures, (appeal would be that FTA would be an addition to what they get now, and that they can get stations that their neighbors can't) (brag and pride factor).
See above. Most FTA channels would be evoke a "Meh" from most people.
4. Sports bars?> Wild sports feeds would be the main appeal here...but of course could not be relied on. Legalities..if any?
See "elevator music" thread. Such establishments would be prohibited form providing such feeds to their customers, at least without authorization. They would have to buy rights fromt he league, or get a commercial sports channel subscription.

How do you explain FTA television to a layperson who has never been exposed to such an enterprise?
It is kind of like Shortwave Radio, compared to normal AM/FM broadcasting.

Last edited:
FreeSat is a term already used in Europe, why not here?
It is a trademarked term to define an FTA platform, which his basically DTH that happens to be mostly free, kind of G19, which I thing somebody would be wise to come up with a logo to trademark and promote. Perhaps some initiative from Globecast/Pitcomm/SF.

Just condensing some of the ideas others have expressed into a simple question and answer format. If anyone wishes to use it they may, no credit needed. Also feel free to edit where needed, I'm not sure if I got some of the terminology just right.

What is FTA?
Free-To-Air or FTA as it is commonly known, is the reception of unencrypted satellite broadcasts.

What is the difference between an encrypted and unencrypted broadcast?
Encrypted broadcasts utilize equipment that allows the signal to be scrambled and therefore only viewable by equipment that is authorized to receive the broadcast. Encryption is applied to broadcasts by both pay satellite services and commercial broadcasters.

Unencrypted broadcasts do not use equipment to scramble their broadcast. Therefore any receiver that is able to utilize the broadcast format will be able to view the broadcast.

Isn’t getting pay satellite service FTA?
No. Pay satellite services are encrypted and only intended for authorized customers. The act of loading third party software on a FTA receiver in order to decrypt these encrypted signals is called satellite piracy. Satellite piracy is illegal.

What types of channels are available on FTA? / Can I get HD channels?
In North America, most FTA channels are either religious or in languages other than English. There are channels that do not fall into either of these categories, but these two categories constitute most of what you will find unencrypted.

While there are a handful of channels available in HD most channels on FTA are still broadcast in SD.

Why would I be interested in FTA if I can’t get any premium channels?
Since North America, unlike other parts of the world, has only a limited selection of programming available on FTA, many view FTA as more of a hobby than as a substitute for pay television.

As a hobby, FTA is very hands on and can provide a sense of accomplishment from getting your satellite equipment setup and working. After your equipment is up and running, you can enjoy the thrill of hunting for and finding new channels. Sometimes what you find up there will surprise you. As you gain experience and become more familiar with your satellite equipment, you will discover which satellites typically have the channels and feeds you are looking for.

kirara386

Another reason to watch FTA would be to get more objective and diverse information about the rest of the world than Pay TV provides, as well as some local event direct broadcasts with very high picture quality. ;)

As a hobby, FTA is very hands on and can provide a sense of accomplishment from getting your satellite equipment setup and working. After your equipment is up and running, you can enjoy the thrill of hunting for and finding new channels. Sometimes what you find up there will surprise you. As you gain experience and become more familiar with your satellite equipment, you will discover which satellites typically have the channels and feeds you are looking for.

Kirara,

This paragraph from your post sums it up pretty well. In my own ideals, FTA is much more of hands-on hobby and adventure then it is a method to watch television or listen to radio for "free".

The idea of these channels being free or simply watching TV or listening to the radio channels is merely a sideline or a pleasant reward for our hard work and diligence. The true thrill and satisfaction is simply figuring out how to accomplish the goal. If we find a nice reward by pulling in a FTA channel, that is our "feather in our cap".

"The funnest part is just probing and proving that we can do it".

RADAR

Last edited:
Just condensing some of the ideas others have expressed into a simple question and answer format. If anyone wishes to use it they may, no credit needed. Also feel free to edit where needed, I'm not sure if I got some of the terminology just right.

Thanks Kirara386, very good input indeed. It sure make it short and sweet. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)