Motley Fool: Date XBox, Marry Wii, Kill Playstation

I have all 3 i much prefer the 360, although the wii sports is very entertaining
my ps3 collects dust till better games come out
i really like nhl 07 on 360

Last edited:
Kill PS3
The PS2 is the best-selling console of all-time, and is still selling briskly. It's also a slap in the face to the PS3. Sony's new gaming device is a thing of beauty, yet the pricey hardware that banked on rapid adoption of the Blu-ray disc format is off to a slow start.

Even with a limited number of units available during its launch, the systems were being swapped for meager markups on auction sites over the holiday season. You don't have to jump through hoops to get a PS3 these days, yet shoppers still aren't flocking.

Sony can't admit its mistake and scrap the PS3. It has no problem selling plenty of PS2s until the market does come around. However, Sony will soon discover that it's not easy being in the pack. As the undisputed leader, software publishers often earmarked titles exclusively for the PS2. It's where the money was. Now the dynamics have changed. Companies like Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS) and Activision (Nasdaq: ATVI), which were pretty good about spreading the wealth, will continue supporting all three systems.

In the meantime, platform-specific titles -- like Halo for the Xbox and the Super Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda Nintendo franchises -- will stand out even more as ambassadors for their consoles. And that equals more bad news for Sony.

Sony will be pressured. It's already being pressured financially. Because of its embattled state, the company may be hesitant to commit to price cuts to help grow the PS3's base at the expense of near-term profits.

Oh, you've got to love the video game wars. Sometimes they're even more exciting than the video games themselves.
Stupidest comment ever probably. Speechless.

The thing that I find interesting is how most pundits pass right over the PS2s sales numbers and don't point out that the PS1 did similarly during the last 'next gen' launch.

And that it's also blowing the doors off of XBOX 360 sales.

I have a PS2 and a 360...and when it comes to sheer variety of game titles and styles, the PS2 wins hands down. The XBOX and Nintendo have, for the most part, relegated the vast majority of their game titles towards segmented/specific target markets...Nintendo goes for the young gamer/old-school platformer/party gamer crowd that likes things cute and cuddly; XBOX for the hardcore FPS/TPS gamer who likes to predominantly play soldier (read 14yr-old male). Only the Playstation ecosystem seems to try to accomodate the broad swath of those points on the compass and everything in between (i.e. Klonoa to Killzone). I know that's why I was quite happy with my PS2 for all those years...variety.

It's also why I wouldn't count the PS3 out--not just yet. I'm really enjoying my 360 (now that its back from having its 7-wk-old optical drive replaced)...but I instantly sensed its focus on a narrower range of gaming genres/types and am glad to hear they're officially looking to expand that past their 'base'. I'll bet you good money that unless they and Nintendo do just that, they won't stand a chance against the PS3 in the LONG TERM.

No surprise.... The premium 360 costs 208% more. The walmart crowd that can't afford the newer units do just fine with the older system and games that can be had for $10 and less.

The bigger problem for Sony is that they have lost most of their exclusives that drove their juggernaut the last time around.... GTA. Gone. Metal Gear Solid... Almost gone (EGM is predicting it will go multiplatform a few months after its exclusive window runs out)..... Assassins Creed. Gone. SquareSoft. Gone (Final Fantasy online now on the 360... the standalone version to follow?) Guitar Hero.... Gone (coming soon to the Wii and 360)

Meanwhile, Wii still has their first party titles driving loyalists back, and the 360 has Gears or War, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, and a couple other titles locked into their platform.

Sony planned on gamers AND BluRay fanboys to snatch up the systems. Meanwhile, there are plenty of boxes in stores, and hawkers at the entrance of Best Buy get greeted by a "no thank you" when they try and push a PS3 on people... Is it a disaster? No. demand is there..... But they won't be selling 30 million of these this time around, and that aura of invincibility is gone.

People said the same thing about HDTVs, though, Bob. We've turned that corner now, fortunately...

"It's too expensive, it's gonna tank. The markets too small for people who'd know 'the difference.'", etc.

But once the prices came down a bit AND there was plenty of compelling content rubbed in the publics face on a weekly basis--folks started looking at their 'last gen' TVs/AV systems a little differently--and figuring out how to make the investment didn't seem like a waste but a true and worthy upgrade. They just needed to see the killer apps dangling out there--and to become accustomed to what it takes to move to the next generation. The 360 needs to go more mainstream, and the Wii is a stop-gap for Nintendo, the controller won't make up for its last-gen guts/resolution for more than a couple of years tops. Gameplay is king, yes (and thank goodness the Wii illustrated that to the industry), but when it becomes an increasingly prominent relative eyesore--you know what they say about HD? You can't go back. And by then...

IF (a required 'IF') Sony can come up with truly compelling content and maximize Blu-ray for all its applications (movies AND expanded game content)...it will differentiate itself as it did with the PS2 and make the price seem worthwhile.

Those that know what's in a PS3 and can see themselves using all its features already know its not really overpriced. They may just be waiting for that content.

This is certainly an interesting time for the industry.

Last edited:
Stupidest comment ever probably. Speechless.

I agree. Guy thinks he's God and has determined that Sony has made a mistake and should scrap the PS3. Yeah, right. Some logic impaired weasel who apparently can type but not think much "knows" better than a multi-billion dollar company. El stupe actually thinks Sony counted on Blu-ray adoption pushing PS3, and not the other way around? Now there's a commonly held belief. Not.

I El stupe actually thinks Sony counted on Blu-ray adoption pushing PS3, and not the other way around?.

You're right, but he has a point, now thar the PS3 are avaliable everywhere, I see them on the Storeshelves.
Here's a good one, I went to an Eb Games store 2 weekends ago, the CSR told me that the PS3 is available, and that they are taking the PS2 with 2 controller and a Memory Card in trade-in for $100. I aksed him why, and he told me that the PS3 is not selling that good. Actually in my case for an original PS2, bought a couple of days after it's lauch date is a good deal.
Sony do have some financial concerns, but the PS3 maybe their savior.

I'm almost buy one, I even took my Ps2 tom Ebgames, but I ended up buying the 360's Hd-DVD and gave up my Ps2(it was scratching the discs anyway). I'm going to wait for a price mark down.

A lot feel the same way. Many sit on the fence until they hit the $199 price point (that goes for settop hi def media too)..

Will the PS3 EVER reach down to the $199 price point?

Anyway, don't game machines almost always have a dip in sales after the big release, and then start building up months later as better, more tailored games hit the market? The PS3 is doing fine, just not breaking any records, as some expected.

...don't game machines almost always have a dip in sales after the big release, and then start building up months later as better, more tailored games hit the market? The PS3 is doing fine, just not breaking any records, as some expected.

I think you're right on those points. The price of the PS3 has been a big hindrance to some, but considering that, it's been doing alright. As good as the 360 launch, and nobody's crying that the 'consistently-in-the-red' Xbox project will/should be written off. It only got a spike when 'Gears of War' came out...I'd suspect the same for the PS3 when its top-tier exclusive franchises hit the market.

Think Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, etc. Even modest boosts could occur from anticipated titles like MotorStorm and Lair, and even now non-exclusives like Grand Theft Auto et al, if there is a tangible bit of value-added or qualitative edge to the PS3 versions.

I think Halo 3 will steal some thunder come Fall/Winter, to be sure, but there are a LOT of compelling titles out there that might get folks off the fence down the line.

All this sky-is-falling talk about Sony reminds me of the heady days of the late 90s when every 'brilliant' pundit and his/her uncle were espousing the last days of Apple Computer. Well, Apple Computer is indeed no more...they just go by Apple now ;).

Last edited:
No surprise.... The premium 360 costs 208% more. The walmart crowd that can't afford the newer units do just fine with the older system and games that can be had for $10 and less.

The bigger problem for Sony is that they have lost most of their exclusives that drove their juggernaut the last time around.... GTA. Gone. Metal Gear Solid... Almost gone (EGM is predicting it will go multiplatform a few months after its exclusive window runs out)..... Assassins Creed. Gone. SquareSoft. Gone (Final Fantasy online now on the 360... the standalone version to follow?) Guitar Hero.... Gone (coming soon to the Wii and 360)

Meanwhile, Wii still has their first party titles driving loyalists back, and the 360 has Gears or War, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, and a couple other titles locked into their platform.

Sony planned on gamers AND BluRay fanboys to snatch up the systems. Meanwhile, there are plenty of boxes in stores, and hawkers at the entrance of Best Buy get greeted by a "no thank you" when they try and push a PS3 on people... Is it a disaster? No. demand is there..... But they won't be selling 30 million of these this time around, and that aura of invincibility is gone.

Bob, how can you be so short-sighted? You think you are going to see Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune on other systems? These are all new exclusives for the PS3. And there are more coming. And have you found that number of XBox360 sales for the first 3 months out yet? Don't go compairing it to the PS3 sales or you are not going to be happy.

As far as selling 30 million -- when you are the least expensive player of the leading HD format in the world then you are going to get alot of sales. Especially when home theater magazines keep printing articles about how great a BD player the PS3 is. What is going to happen to sales when all those AAA titles get release for the PS3? Plueeeze Bob, come on back down to earth and relax the PS3 is doing just fine. Not going to sell 30 million --now that was a good one Bob!

Always fun sparring with you Joe.....

None of those exclusives you mentioned are going to be the 3 million+ seller they need to pull more fence sitters in.

Killzone is the closest thing they have, but they are going up against the 2005 memory of the cutscene, er... demo, from the 2005 E3. If they can make it look like the hype, then they will be better off.

I still say the hemorrage of must have exclusives will permanently cripple their ability to grab the 75% market share they had last time around in the console wars. GTA is the biggest loss. Unreal Tournament, while not as huge, had a lot of the hardcore online folks hooked.

The other big title they have, God of War 2 isn't even going to the PS3. They're leaving it on the PS2.

Sony's not about to ditch the PS2, a system I have to admit I still play often. I'm waiting on the PS3 to come down in price and get some titles that I actually want to play. After getting my 360 and not getting a whole lot of new, exciting, and unique games, I'm hesitant to fork over more money for the PS3 until I see some kind of payoff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)