Motorize my KU setup or get a C band setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

partyharty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Hello all,

I got into FTA a month or so ago, Worked on it a bit and have been enjoying g10r now for a while. So after looking at all the threads on here (esp the microbud ones) I have decided to try for c-band.

I call up a local shop (that used to do c-band installs now they only do dish/DirecTV). I figured they would have some idea on where I can get dish's. After listening to their sales pitch (why dont I want Dish Network?) I finally get to someone who can point me in the right direction.

They had a guy that does c-band from "time to time" and he has some parts and whatnot. So he gives me a call and tells me I need a 7.5 footer to get anything.
Its not that big a deal to me (7.5 footer). He said 6 footers were very hard to come by. Price he wants is $150 for dish/lnb/mounting arm etc). This is a used dish.

Is this a good deal? There is no shipping charges (as they are just a couple of miles away).

I am sure I can get out and find one (for less probably) however the one he is selling will work (and has all the parts).

Another question. Would it be better to motorize my KU setup (which will be a bit over $100 (for the motor from sadoun), or invest the extra $50 in a C band dish. I would do both but at the moment I am a bit financially strapped (wife and I are both in college and we have a kid who will be here in less than a month).

I am mainly interested in the networks so I figure this will be pointed @ G4r for the most part but it would be nice to get as many stations as possible.

Just a few questions I have been trying to decide on today. So now give me your .02 :D

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
IMO, I would motorize the KU system first, and be on the look out for a 6-7.5' C-Band dish. Making sure that the holes in the mesh are small enough for KU-Band (Make sure the holes are no bigger than a pencil)

PSB said:
IMO, I would motorize the KU system first, and be on the look out for a 6-7.5' C-Band dish. Making sure that the holes in the mesh are small enough for KU-Band (Make sure the holes are no bigger than a pencil)

If I get a c-band setup I plan on keeping my other dish running as well (basically to have 2 dishes). I dont think I can give up my fixed g10r dish :)

Party,
I have to agree with Pete, I would look for a free c band dish instead of paying for one. There are plenty out there for free. Also, be aware, that even tho the dish itself is only150, to set it up you will incur additional costs, those costs will depend on how you decide to "mount" the dish / pole.

I kinda figured on the extra costs to mount the pole and dish.

I live outside of town and I have found several people with unused c-band dishes (as in pointing in the wrong direction, 1 close by has the rg6 pulled up and wrapped around the feedhorn of the dish, there is another about 4 miles out that is laying on the ground).

I am just not sure what I am looking at and I dont want to end up with something that either dosent work (and therefore I spend a LOT of time trying to troubleshoot when I have no idea what the steps are to troubleshoot).

With that said I found out today that we know someone with a 1.2 primestar dish in their yard (they have just put their house up for sale). I am going to drop by and see what they want for it. I may end up with a microbud project instead.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

1.2 Primestar (Channelmaster) is a very desirable dish! I'd definitely try to snag that one. Most Primestars out there are 1 meter, 40 x 30 or smaller.

Well it dosent look like I am going to get it. I stopped by and talked to them about it (offered to buy it) and the guy told me he wants to make it into a picnic table (I am not joking). It caught my attention because it was the first one I had seen around here (primestar used a lot of the smaller oblong dishes around here but this was the first 1.2 meter I had found).

I am going to put a flyer up at the community center (and post office) here to see if I can come up with something. I am sure I can come up with a 10-14ft dish for free. There are a lot of people around here with them laying around. One of these days I will get up the nerve to go door to door :>

Oh well,

Rule of thumb ..... avoid single "button hook" post LNBF mounts instead choosing a three or four point arm mount types.

Often, used C-Band dishes have been mishandled during the decommissioning. Before investing sweat equity into removing and hauling a used dish, perform a string test to make sure the dish is not bent or warped and the parabola is good. Place a string vertically from top edge to bottom edge then with a friend, move a string horizontaly down the edges. If the strings do not remain in contact or close contact during this movement, the dish is warped and the signals will not properly reflect into the feedhorn. Slight variances are acceptable and often can be corrected, but not desireable. Also perform a pendelum test securing a string to the center point of the feedhorn and checking for variances in the shape of the parabola.

Many dishes performed adequately for C-Band, but are not formed adequately or aged gracefully for Ku-Band usage. If there is any slop in the actuator, check for a method of removing the slop and tightening the movement .... or replace. A dish moving slightly in the wind will cause havoc to signal quality.

SatelliteAV said:
Rule of thumb ..... avoid single "button hook" post LNBF mounts instead choosing a three or four point arm mount types.

Often, used C-Band dishes have been mishandled during the decommissioning. Before investing sweat equity into removing and hauling a used dish, perform a string test to make sure the dish is not bent or warped and the parabola is good. Place a string vertically from top edge to bottom edge then with a friend, move a string horizontaly down the edges. If the strings do not remain in contact or close contact during this movement, the dish is warped and the signals will not properly reflect into the feedhorn. Slight variances are acceptable and often can be corrected, but not desireable. Also perform a pendelum test securing a string to the center point of the feedhorn and checking for variances in the shape of the parabola.

Many dishes performed adequately for C-Band, but are not formed adequately or aged gracefully for Ku-Band usage. If there is any slop in the actuator, check for a method of removing the slop and tightening the movement .... or replace. A dish moving slightly in the wind will cause havoc to signal quality.

Good Information to know,

Thanks,
Chris

I have just added a V-Box controller to my Traxis receiver to move my 6.5 foot C-Band dish . I also have a 10 foot C/Ku I use for 4DTV.
The motorized 6.5 foot will come in handy watching NASA, The Outdoor Channel and the Tube to name a few.
Jerry

Go First Class!!

The best kind of setup if you dont mind spending the money is a 1.2 meter Channel Master and Polar Mount Setup. Use A 18" Actuator arm with V-Box Controller to move the dish VIA your IRD. Get An Invacom QPH Lnb and you will have the best Setup money can buy! And best of all you will be doing the job RIGHT. I have done every dish setup known to man. And my 1.2 meter is my Favoite dish! Cheers NO1

Attachments

• NO1 Farm 1.jpg
    NO1 Farm 1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 217
  • NO1 Farm 4.jpg
    NO1 Farm 4.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 185
  • NO1 Farm 7.jpg
    NO1 Farm 7.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 189
  • NO1 Farm 5.jpg
    NO1 Farm 5.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 14 meter dish 1.jpg
    14 meter dish 1.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 14 meter dish 2.jpg
    14 meter dish 2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 185
  • 14 meter dish 3.jpg
    14 meter dish 3.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 14 meter dish 4.jpg
    14 meter dish 4.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 14 meter dish 5.jpg
    14 meter dish 5.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 222
NO1WOLVERINE said:
The best kind of setup if you dont mind spending the money is a 1.2 meter Channel Master and Polar Mount Setup. Use A 18" Actuator arm with V-Box Controller to move the dish VIA your IRD. Get An Invacom QPH Lnb and you will have the best Setup money can buy! And best of all you will be doing the job RIGHT. I have done every dish setup known to man. And my 1.2 meter is my Favoite dish! Cheers NO1

Sounds great, unfortunatly at this moment (with a 3 year old, another that will be here in approx 3 weeks, and both my wife and I in college full time) I am limited to the best that I can afford :D (and it aint gonna be pretty :D ).

So I am looking around to see what I can scrounge. The $150 that I was told for the 7.5 ft dish would just about cover the shipping on a 1.2 (from what I have seen). Hopefully I can find one up for grabs somewhere.

Thanks for the advice,
Chris

Just a guess.

No home owners association :D in NO1WOLVERINE neck of the woods.

Joking.

Seriously though that is a nice dish farm.

c-ya
Chris

partyharty said:
Hello all,

I got into FTA a month or so ago, Worked on it a bit and have been enjoying g10r now for a while. So after looking at all the threads on here (esp the microbud ones) I have decided to try for c-band.

I call up a local shop (that used to do c-band installs now they only do dish/DirecTV). I figured they would have some idea on where I can get dish's. After listening to their sales pitch (why dont I want Dish Network?) I finally get to someone who can point me in the right direction.

They had a guy that does c-band from "time to time" and he has some parts and whatnot. So he gives me a call and tells me I need a 7.5 footer to get anything.
Its not that big a deal to me (7.5 footer). He said 6 footers were very hard to come by. Price he wants is $150 for dish/lnb/mounting arm etc). This is a used dish.

Is this a good deal? There is no shipping charges (as they are just a couple of miles away).

I am sure I can get out and find one (for less probably) however the one he is selling will work (and has all the parts).

Another question. Would it be better to motorize my KU setup (which will be a bit over $100 (for the motor from sadoun), or invest the extra $50 in a C band dish. I would do both but at the moment I am a bit financially strapped (wife and I are both in college and we have a kid who will be here in less than a month).

I am mainly interested in the networks so I figure this will be pointed @ G4r for the most part but it would be nice to get as many stations as possible.

Just a few questions I have been trying to decide on today. So now give me your .02 :D

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, check out Craigslist in your area, there has been two C-bands in the DFW area for free in the last month :D . I think you are in Arkansas http://littlerock.craigslist.org/?? If I see something here in the next week here or two I will sent you a PM, It may be worth t he 3 or so hour drive to pick something up if it is free :D

Last edited:
I appreciate it, but I believe my time is going to be cut very short to do anything for a little while. Yesterday my wife and I (well she did most of the work :>) had a little baby girl. Aleena Mackenzie, she weighed 7lbs 8oz. So needless to say most of my projects will have to go on the back burner for the next few months.

I do appreciate it though.

Thanks,
Chris

partyharty said:
I appreciate it, but I believe my time is going to be cut very short to do anything for a little while. Yesterday my wife and I (well she did most of the work :>) had a little baby girl. Aleena Mackenzie, she weighed 7lbs 8oz. So needless to say most of my projects will have to go on the back burner for the next few months.

I do appreciate it though.

Thanks,
Chris

CONGRATULATIONS!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts