LNB Clarificaiton (multiple LNBFs vs quad/dual LNBF)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blumfield

Original poster
May 15, 2006
Central Coast, California
First Post.

I'm looking for some clarification on LNBs.
Below I have a picture of a Quad LNBF and two pictures of a D*TV dish showing the dish itself with 3 LNB feedhorns and the label.

What is the difference? Multiple receivers/Multiple Satellites(Birds). Where does the switch come into play?

I've read the posts and still need clarification.

AND..

Since I own the D*TV dish, what are the chances of it working for FTA. Or is 30" the minimum. If it matters, I live at... Latitude: 344706N Longitude: 1201928W

Attachments

• LNB_Quad.jpg
    LNB_Quad.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 170
  • FTA 004.jpg
    FTA 004.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 191
  • FTA 003.jpg
    FTA 003.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 198
A quad lnb will point at one satellite at a time, where as the multi lnb dish will point at multiple satellites at once.

The quad is the only one that will work for real FTA (linear). The tohers are circular and won't work for much (other than what PSB put)

I had that exclaimation point coming for the dish size question. DOH! I now remember reading that post from iceberg regarding what one can get with a 18" dish.

So is it fair to say that a multi LNB is simular to a single LNB with a motor?
And the switch only comes into play if you have multiple dishes pointed at different birds.

And the only reason to get a quad is for multiple recievers.

So is it fair to say that a multi LNB is simular to a single LNB with a motor?
multiple LNB's would be used in place of a motor
And the switch only comes into play if you have multiple dishes pointed at different birds.
or multiple LNB's...Some people have a good KU band LNB and then add a DBS LNB next to it. You would use the switch then to combine them into one cable. Otherwise it is not needed

And the only reason to get a quad is for multiple recievers.
not necessarily. Some people get it for the low noise level (will help weaker signals) and some do it because they don't want 2 LNBs at the dish (one for the free stuff on DBS and one for normal KU)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts