Motorized dish or a Toroidal dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fixit

Original poster
May 18, 2006
newbie here Can anyone tell me the deference between a motorized dish and a toroidal dish? ( preference and why ) Looking to pick up at least 4 to5 sat's.

What 4 satellites are you aiming for?

A motorized dish (Like my avatar) can move from one satellite to another across the whole arc, but can only ever see one satellite at any one time.

A Toroidal dish can be set up (With special LNB's) to see several satellites simultaneously!

MUCH prefer a motorized dish!

A toroidal dish typicaly relies on multiple lnbs vs. a motorized setup wish has one lnb but has a motor to move to different sats. There are are other difference as well as a toroidal dish has a small deflector that the lnb aims at. I would recomend going with a single lnb and a motor. As to why you will easily spend more on multiple lnb's than the cost of the motor. That being said I can see a few instances where a toridal setup could be usefull, but those would be special situations.

Toroidal can switch between satellites fast, but is expensive and for some people difficult to set up.

Motorized dish can get each satellite in your arc, but you have to wait while it moves, and takes time to get aimed perfectly on the arc.

Go motorized, much, much cheaper than Toroidal.

Another great thing about a motorized system that I forgot to add to post # 2 is that the WHOLE dish aims at the satellite! Where as with a Toroidal dish satellite signals bounce in off the wings of the dish!

go with the motorized dish you will be able to get all the sats in your line of sight and part of the fun of this hobbie is surfing as many sats as possible.:)

Hello

I have both and I would recommend a motor to someone new. It allows you to explore more sats.

The main advantage of a toroidal is :

If you know exactly what channels you want and on which sat, a toroidal dish will give you instantaneous channel switching. You have the same feeling than with cable or Dish network, between channels on G10 (upn for example) and W3(for pbs) for example.

Best regards

Labgate

Also, keep in mind that a Toroidal has 40 degrees ARC only. So if some of the satellites you are interested in fall outside of that 40 degrees, you will not be able to receive it.

A motor has 100 - 140 degree arc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)