Motorola dvr 6412 Firewire recording to DVD

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Guys, I have set up my 6412 with a new Cyberhome 1600 DVD recorder via the IEEE 1394/Firewire. It works!! Even HD works, the picture plays in theater mode. This little DVD recorder was $96 at Circuit City. The thing even records in DVD-R even though it advertises DVD+R only. Not too many that can record in both formats.

Anyway it works fine and you can't beat the price. I am testing the recording with all the movie channels (HBO, Starz,Showtime), I'll get back to you on the testing results.

More Info

I would like more information about how you connected the 6412 to the DVD recorder.

I have the same DVD Recorder and I agree, it is really nice for the money.

Bulldog said:
Guys, I have set up my 6412 with a new Cyberhome 1600 DVD recorder via the IEEE 1394/Firewire. It works!! Even HD works, the picture plays in theater mode. This little DVD recorder was $96 at Circuit City. The thing even records in DVD-R even though it advertises DVD+R only. Not too many that can record in both formats.

Anyway it works fine and you can't beat the price. I am testing the recording with all the movie channels (HBO, Starz,Showtime), I'll get back to you on the testing results.

How does it handle dd5.1 sound?

rc

Does it record like a DV Camera to a DVD Recorder, just plug it in and control from the DVD recorder, or is it a little more complicated? I would love to be able to do on the fly recording to my DVD recorder. Currently, I have to power off my DVR, change the settings to 480i, then change the input of the TV. I would love to able to just change my input and control the device using the recorder. Oh, how easy it could be.

tujumaster said:
Does it record like a DV Camera to a DVD Recorder, just plug it in and control from the DVD recorder, or is it a little more complicated? I would love to be able to do on the fly recording to my DVD recorder. Currently, I have to power off my DVR, change the settings to 480i, then change the input of the TV. I would love to able to just change my input and control the device using the recorder. Oh, how easy it could be.

Yes, Make sure you select the proper source on the DVD recorder. The MOTO's firewire is hot (on). I have been told that Walmart has the same DVD recorder for $98.00 "ILO 05" or something like that. Should work the same. :)

I have the same setup but cannot get the firewire active.
Also, do i set the dvr to 1080, 480 or what?? Real interested in getting this going, any help is appreciated!

Trouble with Firewire output. What settings work?

I also have the Motorola 6412 with a CyberHome 1600 DVD recorder. I cannot get a picture to the DVD recorder. When I disconnect the Firewire cable, I get the error "no signal' on the monitor. When I connect the cable, the error message goes away, but the screen is still blank.

I have checked the d11 interface status in the diagnostics mode on the Motorola, and the 1394 I/O device has Active Ports = 1, and the 5C implementation = 0. I have tried both firewire outputs on the Motorola.

I have downloaded and installed the latest firmware on the DVD recorder. I am using the S-video output to a Sony 4x3 TV. I have rebooted both Motorola and CyberHome.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Same here, when the firewire is connected, there is like a play buttong and a picture of a camcorder on the screen, but no marrer what I do, it won't play anything. Any help is appreciated.

Firewire and DCT6412

This may be a repeat of what somebody has already mentioned, but maybe part of the problem is that Comcast's version of the DCT 6412 does not fully support firewire. My TV (Mitsubishi WD-52825) has a built-in DVR (they call it a PVR) as well as 2 firewire inputs. Because the firewire is not fully supported by the Comcast box, I can see the picture just fine but when I press "Guide" or "On Demand" or "Info", I see nothing unlike when I am using the component or DVI outputs (then Guide, Info or on Demand work). So if I want to record to the TV's DVR using firewire output (like I am doing as I type with "Stars On Demand's" "Harold and Kumar") I set up the viewing using DVI output then I switch to firewire to record. The reason for doing this, is that the firewire input is the only truly digital input that the Mitsubishi's DVR will record from. I can also record directly to DVD recorder but my DVD burner has not digital inputs like component, DVI or firewire (only has digital outputs).
Wayne

graffron said:
I also have the Motorola 6412 with a CyberHome 1600 DVD recorder. I cannot get a picture to the DVD recorder. When I disconnect the Firewire cable, I get the error "no signal' on the monitor. When I connect the cable, the error message goes away, but the screen is still blank.

I have checked the d11 interface status in the diagnostics mode on the Motorola, and the 1394 I/O device has Active Ports = 1, and the 5C implementation = 0. I have tried both firewire outputs on the Motorola.

I have downloaded and installed the latest firmware on the DVD recorder. I am using the S-video output to a Sony 4x3 TV. I have rebooted both Motorola and CyberHome.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The DCT6412 has 2 6-pin firewire ports. When facing the back of the DCT6412 make sure you use the firewire port on the right hand side (left side if looking from the front) There seems to be a problem using the other firewire port. You might need a 6 to 4 cable or 6 to 6 depending on your DVD recorder. The IEEE1394 output on the DCT6412 outputs MPEG2 only (NOT DV).

Make sure you have the correct cable. It does work!

Trouble with Firewire

Quote from Bulldog

" The DCT6412 has 2 6-pin firewire ports. When facing the back of the DCT6412 make sure you use the firewire port on the right hand side (left side if looking from the front) There seems to be a problem using the other firewire port. You might need a 6 to 4 cable or 6 to 6 depending on your DVD recorder. The IEEE1394 output on the DCT6412 outputs MPEG2 only (NOT DV).

"Make sure you have the correct cable. It does work!

Bullldog
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I did see the post about using the firewire port you mentioned . I spent most of the testing using that port.

1. Concerning the 6-to-4 or 6-to-6 cable, the 6412 has the larger connector (6 wire, I assume) and the DVR has the smaller connector (4 wire I assume). I used a firewire cable that came with a firewire card I bought for my PC. I assumed that since it fit at both ends, it was electrically correct. Is that a bad assumption???

2. What version of firmware is on the Cyberhome? I upgraded mine to the latest. June 2005 version from the Cyberhome website.

3. At this point, it is academic since I returned the Cyberhome. Better deals are coming so I may purchase it again

Thanks
Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)