Mounting an AT9 on a vent pipe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

macktheknife

Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Due to previous roof problems (and not wishing to void roof warranty), the only option I have to mount a dish is on a 18" vent pipe. This is the place I currently have my 3LNB dish mounted with a 1 5/8" quick pipe adapter.

After adding a fourth HD receiver at my house, Directv is pushing the AT9 Superdish (free). I have heard this a big, heavy dish (33" wide, over 30lbs).

Will I have problems installing this AT9 5LNB on the vent pipe? Where can I get a vent pipe mounting kit or quick pipe adapter for this dish. I understand it requires a two inch pipe or mast. Any recommendations on vent pipe mounting.

hop said:
answer... medal pole in concrete

Thanks for the quick reply. However, I live in a townhouse attached on both sides by other townhouses. The Homeowner association prohibits dishes installed on front of house. The back of the house has a small yard and the house would block the southern exposure. I'd have to put up a 40' pole to clear the roofline for a southern view. I'm sure the homeowners association will have a dim view of it.

The roof vent pipe is the only place I can mount the dish on my flat roof.

My recommendation is not to do it!:eek:

Do have a shingled or flat roof?

EDIT: I just saw you have a flat roof

I am a commercial low slope (flat) roofer/estimator. I see this all the time and 90% of the time there is hidden damage to the vent pipes causing other problems.

Vent pipes no matter what size are not designed to handle the weight or stress of anything let alone a larger dish.

While you may not "see" damage to the portion sticking out of the roof you may be damaging the pipe further down the line from the stress of wind load.

(Google "satellite dish roof mounts")

You will find flat roof dish mounts. We call them "sleds" This is the BEST way to mount a dish on a flat roof. No screws or bolts to penetrate the roof membrane.

It is weighed down with cinder block. They come in several sizes for dishes from 18" to 10'.

I see these all the time on commercial buildings on all types of flat roofs and they work extremely well.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.