Move Hopper to RV, Dish Tuning Question(s)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Wen Valley

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2008
I've been searching the forum for help, but no luck so far.

We have two Hoppers. I moved one out to the RV today. Got out the portable three LNB, western arc dish.
Connected the single node to the two cables coming out of the Dish. The two cables from the Dish went on the #1 and #2 ports on the left side of the single node.

The cable from the Hopper in the RV went to the right side of the single node, it says "To Host"

Now, once I got this setup, I don't know where the basic analog meter goes in to measure the sat signal???

Do I pull out the single node to read the sat signal strength?

Also, I'm getting a pulse signal from the hopper to the meter, one pulse about every three seconds. The pulse is about a second in duration. The meter pegs out, then drops back. I can see and hear a satellite signal between the pulses...

On the TV screen, I've going into setup, diagnostics, and then what settings?

I have it set on Tuner Input 1, but I've tried all three.

Sat. is set to 119.

Transponder 11.

I also have run the check switch on the Hopper.

I'm not getting any visible or audio signal in the TV.

Thanks for you help on this...

You have to remember that there is a multi-switch in the LNBF head assembly which means any LNBF can be electronically attached to any coax coming out of the head assembly. So the cable that has the analog meter on it has to be electronically connected to the 119 LNBF.

Since it is a simple analog meter, you need to use the Hopper to do the multi-switch selection. Since you have little control on which tuner, and Solo prt is going to the cable with the meter, the answer is to set all three tuners to satellite 119 and a transponder 11 or above.

Make sure you mast is vertical, very vertical. Some tripods make this easier than others. With the mast vertical, set the Skew into the disk using with values from the dish manual or DishPointer.com. Set the Elevation and then start looking for the 119 satellite.

Typically west of the Mississippi, magnetic deviation will add about 10 degrees to the Azimuth, i.e. a target of 221 would be more like 231 on the compass. Remember the dish arm is not pointing at the satellite so aiming the compass over the arm is not going to help.

You have to remember that there is a multi-switch in the LNBF head assembly which means any LNBF can be electronically attached to any coax coming out of the head assembly. So the cable that has the analog meter on it has to be electronically connected to the 119 LNBF.

Since it is a simple analog meter, you need to use the Hopper to do the multi-switch selection. Since you have little control on which tuner, and Solo prt is going to the cable with the meter, the answer is to set all three tuners to satellite 119 and a transponder 11 or above.

Brussam:
I've read you response several times. I did get the Dish connected to all three sats, but it was an ugly exercise. I'm set up in the driveway in an attempt to iron out some of the bugs before we go on the road.

What I think you're saying is to go into the Dish Pointer menu, and set all three tuners to 119, and for each tuner set the transponder to 11 or above? Is this correct? Once I get a signal do I have to go back and set tuner 1 to 110, and tuner 3 to 129?

Does running "check switch" with no signal do anything? I thought you had to have a signal for check switch to be effective?

Any comment on the feedback "pulse" from the Hopper to the meter?

I would buy a better meter if I knew that it would help. My wife HATES having to watch the TV and yell out meter numbers. Well, HATE may be too strong of a word, but it's close.

Thanks for you time on this issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts