"Moved" and not being told I need a 1000.4 dish

hamel01

Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
UP of Michigan
So I just "Moved" today so that I can get Green Bay locals while being in the Western end of the UP of Michigan. According to the spot beam maps I am right in the middle of the beam and should have no problem getting the signal. Dish did the move fine and instantly got the SD Locals. When I asked about the HD locals they checked into it and said I would need a new dish and it would be free of charge. I have a 1K.2 but now will need a 1K.4.

My main question is if I change the dish over will that affect me in any other way? Is that all it will take to get the HD's? Will I loose any other programing? Why the need for the new dish? What will it pick up that the 1K.2 does not?

Since i have "Moved" i will get one of the local guys to change it or I will do it my self.

Thanks for the help!!

I see the GB HD locals coming from 61.5, hence the need for a 1k.4 looking to EA. You must be looking at WA with the 1k.2. I don't think you'll see the spotbeam for the GB HD locals from the UP.

Are you saying that I won't see the spot beams at all or just on the western arc? According to the map that i looked at for the Spot Beams I should see them just fine unless I am missing something. So lets say I change the dish to the 1K.4 and I can not get the spotbeams. Will I lose any other programing that I currently have? Also when changing from the 1K.2 to the 1K.4, do they look in the same general direction?

Are you saying that I won't see the spot beams at all or just on the western arc? According to the map that i looked at for the Spot Beams I should see them just fine unless I am missing something. So lets say I change the dish to the 1K.4 and I can not get the spotbeams. Will I lose any other programing that I currently have? Also when changing from the 1K.2 to the 1K.4, do they look in the same general direction?

No they don't look in the same direction. 1k2 looks SW & the 1k4 will look SSE. It would be possible to add a 61.5 wing dish for local HD.

I see the GB HD locals coming from 61.5, hence the need for a 1k.4 looking to EA. You must be looking at WA with the 1k.2. I don't think you'll see the spotbeam for the GB HD locals from the UP.
A dish 300 or 500 aimed at 61.5 and connected to your 1000.2 should get your Green Bay locals. The 1000.2 should have a port to add the wing dish to so the major change will be an additional dish, if you are reading the spotbeam map correctly.

Depending on what you mean by western end of the UP, you may not be able to receive the GB HD locals. You're correct that the 110 spot is right on top of you but the 61.5 spot for HD is more to the east and south. If you live close to the Ironwood, MI area you may not be able to receive it.

I would try a wing dish, which you might be able to hunt down for free.

A dish 300 or 500 aimed at 61.5 and connected to your 1000.2 should get your Green Bay locals. The 1000.2 should have a port to add the wing dish to so the major change will be an additional dish, if you are reading the spotbeam map correctly.

This is the spotbeam footprint for the Green Bay HD locals off E12 spotbeam 11 from 61.5. As you can see, the UP is not even on this map! You can try aiming a D300 to 61.5 and see what you get. I'd say not likely, but you never know for sure without trying.

Attachments

• E12_SB11.jpg
    E12_SB11.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 224
You need to know what orbital exactly they are planning to give you with the 1000.4 cause it is now the default dish for EA and WA but uses 2 different lnbs depending on which series of sats you are getting. If they say 1000.4 with 119,110,129 then don't worry.

You need to know what orbital exactly they are planning to give you with the 1000.4 cause it is now the default dish for EA and WA but uses 2 different lnbs depending on which series of sats you are getting. If they say 1000.4 with 119,110,129 then don't worry.

He's already getting the WA with the 1000.2 dish, the 1000.4 WA will change nothing. The HD locals are coming from EA and they need the 1000.4 EA dish, which is why he was told he needs the 1000.4 dish.

You have to know where the spot beams are shining, and which spotbeams you need before you move. In this case, the OP may have moved out of the "light"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)