Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

Mr Tony, I found info on the boxes and would purchase used. Yes, I have been over thinking.

We have the Ultimate Package and fits our lifestyle with the required channel line-up. It is a matter of discussing with my wife and going from there.

Any suggestions in coordinating switching Satellite to Streaming? Just call Streaming or Satellite number and say "Cancel" and be transferred to a knowledgeable Rep? The Rep can do the coordinating/switching?

I moved and no longer use satellite. I'm on Stream now and wanted to know if there is anything special or better about using a gemini off eBay vs just using an Apple TV or the Google TV app on a Sony.

I remember reading something about people buying the Osprey device off eBay for stream without a contract. Just wanted to know why this was the route they chose over Apple TV.
I know I am late to the party here, but I also have DirecTV stream and have eight of these boxes in service. Six in my house and two on my RV. Switching from Dish, but I have also had DTV satellite in the past. The Osprey/Gemini boxes make the service 1000% better IMO than the FireTV app or the AppleTV4k app. They also work great with apps since they are basically android tv boxes meaning I now just use the box for all my apps. Significantly better than the Dish Hopper + & Joey 4s implementation. Would not enjoy the service and probably would not stick with it if it were not for the boxes. In fact I got carried away with the eBay auctions and overbought the number of boxes I need because I liked them that much. Spares! :)

I too switched from satellite to Stream and got the boxes via EBay. It just makes sense to do it that way — no RSN or additional Tv fees.

That said — my only gripe is that these boxes are S L O W… slow to open the app screen, slow to open the guide… they remind me of the speed of a first gen DirecTivo back when you had to wait for it to “paint in” the guide. I went so far as to upgrade my switch and run Ethernet to every room in an attempt to speed up these things… nothing has worked. I put up with it because without “additional TV” fees or “advanced receiver” fees or RSN fees — I’m saving $75 per month over satellite… and like I mentioned I’ve been around long enough to remember how slow the 1st Gen DirecTivos were… and it’s not *quite* that bad — but almost.

Even with the slowness, I still prefer having the real remote to the Roku or Samsung version of the software — it’s especially annoying with the Samsung software — it shows the channel numbers in the DirecTV Stream app — the DirecTV Stream remote can control my Samsung TV — but it cannot change the channel numbers in the Samsung DirecTV Stream app with its number buttons — and the Samsung remote does not have number buttons. Uggh.

I noticed that the newer “Air” version of the stream box is now being sold on SolidSignal and used/refurbed on EBay — but they are going for $150-200 consistently. These are usually only available to lease with the “For Internet” version of the service — my question is… are they any faster than the Gen 1 Osprey/Gemini devices? I’ve seen mixed reviews — if the speed is truly increased I could at least consider dropping the cash for the main 2 TVs… but again, reviews seem mixed…

• Sad
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
That said — my only gripe is that these boxes are S L O W… slow to open the app screen, slow to open the guide… they remind me of the speed of a first gen DirecTivo back when you had to wait for it to “paint in” the guide. I went so far as to upgrade my switch and run Ethernet to every room in an attempt to speed up these things… nothing has worked.
I have no issues when using my boxes. Its very quick for me (mine are hard wired too)

Reactions: RaiderPower
You do not want any streaming box to handle the up converting , they do not have the horse power for a good picture.

My Roku Ultra does Auto, so if native 1080P, it lets my TV, a Sony Z9K handle the video processing.

The only box that did a great job of the processing was the Nvidia Shield, but it had a graphics chip/card inside for that reason.
There is no "native" function with these boxes so there is a conversion happening regardless.
If you select 1080i and are viewing a 720p station the television is converting and vice versa.
Pick your poison.

I too switched from satellite to Stream and got the boxes via EBay. It just makes sense to do it that way — no RSN or additional Tv fees.

That said — my only gripe is that these boxes are S L O W… slow to open the app screen, slow to open the guide… they remind me of the speed of a first gen DirecTivo back when you had to wait for it to “paint in” the guide. I went so far as to upgrade my switch and run Ethernet to every room in an attempt to speed up these things… nothing has worked. I put up with it because without “additional TV” fees or “advanced receiver” fees or RSN fees — I’m saving $75 per month over satellite… and like I mentioned I’ve been around long enough to remember how slow the 1st Gen DirecTivos were… and it’s not *quite* that bad — but almost.

Even with the slowness, I still prefer having the real remote to the Roku or Samsung version of the software — it’s especially annoying with the Samsung software — it shows the channel numbers in the DirecTV Stream app — the DirecTV Stream remote can control my Samsung TV — but it cannot change the channel numbers in the Samsung DirecTV Stream app with its number buttons — and the Samsung remote does not have number buttons. Uggh.

I noticed that the newer “Air” version of the stream box is now being sold on SolidSignal and used/refurbed on EBay — but they are going for $150-200 consistently. These are usually only available to lease with the “For Internet” version of the service — my question is… are they any faster than the Gen 1 Osprey/Gemini devices? I’ve seen mixed reviews — if the speed is truly increased I could at least consider dropping the cash for the main 2 TVs… but again, reviews seem mixed…
They are slow and long in the tooth. The hardware is 7/8 years old right now. The Air is faster but not by leaps and bounds. The Software doesnt take advantage of the hardware at all

There is no "native" function with these boxes so there is a conversion happening regardless.
If you select 1080i and are viewing a 720p station the television is converting and vice versa.
Pick your poison.
If the box is based on Android/Google TV Software, there is no reason why it should not.

Other Google TV Streaming devices have an Auto with regards to the resolution.

I moved and no longer use satellite. I'm on Stream now and wanted to know if there is anything special or better about using a gemini off eBay vs just using an Apple TV or the Google TV app on a Sony.

I remember reading something about people buying the Osprey device off eBay for stream without a contract. Just wanted to know why this was the route they chose over Apple TV.
There is another option some folks I've spoken to who said they are are using, it's called StreamFab. It was designed to be used with a PC, but you can hook a VGA to HDMI converter to your computer (About a $10 investment) and stream straight to your smart TV.

I haven't used StreamFab yet due to the lousy internet service we have, but that may change soon since they're stringing fiber at our location. When it's up and running, 1 Gig service will be available.

The ability to record what you're streaming is included in the software package. As for the VGA to HDMI converter, I have been using one for years to watch movies off Tubi, Roku and several other streaming services on my HD TV using my computer.

About all I know about this software is that it works, I'm told, really well, but that's not first hand knowledge. Just one more option that's available.