Moved to a new location but HD not as clear as previously.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shanti

Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
San Francisco
Hi - I am new here. I have just moved from LA to the San Francisco east bay area. I moved my HD receiver vip 211 and the Dish installer came and put up a new dish on the side of the house facing the top portion of the outer wall. During the dish installation, I told the person that should it not be pointing up to the sky without any obstruction but he said that he is getting a very good signal on his meter and if the signal is good - I will get the best picture. But now its been 2 weeks, I notice that the picture is not as clear as it used to be in LA - the local channels there were clearer than they are here and some of the other HD movie channels are also not very clear. In LA I could see all the lines on the faces where as now the faces have a washed look and a bit hazy. The fine sharpness is not there. I called up the Dish installer, who came back and saw that the meter shows signal strength at about 65, which he says is excellent. I told him maybe if he put up the dish on the roof without any obstruction it may improve but he insists that with the new dish, it does not have to be on the roof and the picture strength is fine. He does acknowledge the picture is not very clear on some of the channels and thinks maybe it is the TV but I feel the dish should be up on the roof to get the best picture. What do you people think? Please help - thanks.

What obstruction do you think is in play? With a 65 signal (or any signal) there clearly isn't any.

Check this;;

Hit Menu..6..system setup...8..HDTV setup..Make sure it is to 720P or 1080I. This has caused problems for people in the past.

The signal is digital. It's either usable or not. The signal strength is good for knowing if there IS an obstruction like trees, rain (and aiming to peak your signal during installation). A signal strength of 50 is not going to get you a better picture quality compared to say, 35. Anything above a signal strength of 10 is all the same except for how much rain can be falling before you lose your signal.

What the others have said is right. It's likely a TV or receiver setting issue. If it's not, then it's psychology tricking you.

Signal strength has nothing to do with picture quality, but I know how people could get confuse. I have seen like 3 movies where people have a snowy picture and they fixed aligning the dish. Hollywood clearly doesn't know how satellite tv works and they misinform without care.

One more thing check ESPN HD. How does that look? Then do a switch check and post back the sats you get. We are all guessing you have what you need for HD but maybe not. ESPN HD is on 119 or 110 I think?

Are you using the same TV? It might be that your TV also needs tweaking.

Thanks - I am using the same tvs and receivers - I have one HD and the other is SD. The SD has the same picture quality. And I checked the settings as maybe during the move it may have changed but all settings seem to be as they were previously.

I know this should be obvious, but is the TV connected to the receiver with a HDMI cable or a component cable using the red/green/blue jacks?

Do you have a different set of locals...if so and you are noticing it on them the most, it could be the stations up-link to the sat. In other words maybe the LA locals source was better....

This kind of thread makes me laugh, sorry no offense, but seriously, the signal isn't like analog off air where the picture comes in clearer the better the signal. With the satellite being 22,000 plus miles off the face of the planet, 20 feet isnt gonna make much of a difference even if it was the case.

If your dish has a clear line of sight to the orbitals (satellites) your picture should be exactly the same, something else has changed since you moved. If its locals, maybe the picture quality from the provider, say channel 3 as an example, isn't providing a clear picture then, you wont recieve one. Now im not sayin this is the case entirely, but dish placement has nothing to do whatsoever with a clear picture if signal strenghts are about minimum requirements.

If the signal wasnt high enough you would not have reduced quality, you would just lose picute all together or begin seeing pixellation (picture begins to look like a bunch of squares, losing audio and lookin like its skipping).

So the dish does not have to be moved, it is somethinf else, mostl likely a setting of some sort.

My receiver-tv connection is HDMI. At previous location I had the home theater and Blueray dvd player also connected but presently I have not got around to connecting them as I have to upgrade to new speakers which I have not got around to buying so far - so maybe when all are connected I would know/see better whats going on. The local channels in LA definitely looked better than here. Thanks to you all for your inputs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)