moved to an apartment that is prewired for directv through qwest

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jflex

Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
Arizona
So here's my issue:
I've had a directv account for over 3 years, always been living in a house during that time, so directv supplied me with a dish. This past weekend I moved to an apartment complex that I was told (beforehand) is prewired for directv (through qwest), before I moved in I contacted both directv and qwest and asked if all I would need to do is install my receivers to the wall outlet when I got there, and that I'd be able to keep my separate directv account, and the answer from both was yes. I was told that it would be a simple install since the unit is prewired for directv (dishes are on the roof of the complex I guess). However, I hooked up my receivers on saturday night and the receivers can NOT find the satellite signal. Tried again yesterday and still the same thing. Does this require me changing the dish configurations on the settings of the receivers? Or is this not going to be simple as I was led to believe?

thanks for any insight you can provide!!

Can you see any DIRECTV dishes on the roof or building ?

Contact the landlord and ask what's going on.

The receivers will usually detect the type of dish you are connected to.

Ask a neighbor in the building if they have DIRECTV.

Worse case - Do you have a balcony facing south where a DIRECTV dish could be installed if it comes to that ?

its very possible those wires are not connected to anything. I know when I lived in an apt that was wired for Dish, they had to hook up the wires in the main closet. I was in the same boat (had my own receiver)

Can you see any DIRECTV dishes on the roof or building ?

Contact the landlord and ask what's going on.

The receivers will usually detect the type of dish you are connected to.

Ask a neighbor in the building if they have DIRECTV.

Worse case - Do you have a balcony facing south where a DIRECTV dish could be installed if it comes to that ?

I can see the dishes on the roof of the buildings...

I notice that in the next building over, on the 2nd and 3rd floor 2 units have directv dishes on their balcony...but I was told I wouldn't need to have one installed since it's prewired...and I don't think they allow dishes on the first floor anyways...

its very possible those wires are not connected to anything. I know when I lived in an apt that was wired for Dish, they had to hook up the wires in the main closet. I was in the same boat (had my own receiver)

you know what, I did look in my main closet yesterday and there's a box in the wall there and I opened it and it looks as though everything is connected as should be

Talked to Directv again today and they pretty much said the same thing, said that if it's a multiple dwelling unit then I'll need to check with management or maintenance to make sure my unit is connected to the main satellite. Just put in a maintenance request for that, see if that solves the problem. Need to get these receivers going for March Madness!!!

The next question is whether the dish on the building is capable of receiving multiple satellites. And, what is the distribution method?

The next question is whether the dish on the building is capable of receiving multiple satellites. And, what is the distribution method?

That's probably why he sees dishes on individual renters balcony's; much easier to install your own than try to decipher the buildings cabling system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.