Movie file sizes in mpeg4

yardline

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Does anyone know roughly how much space per hour will be required for mpeg4 channels like HBO HD? Just trying to weight out the pros and cons of building an HD movie library on external storage (when it arrives). I'm interested to know how many movies could be stored on a 500GB drive in mpeg4.

I have all six Star Wars Movies recorded from back in February off of Cinemax HD, which I think was mpeg2 at the time. Now they are on HBO HD which I think is mpeg4 now. Would rerecording them save me some space on my DVR?

Does anyone know roughly how much space per hour will be required for mpeg4 channels like HBO HD? Just trying to weight out the pros and cons of building an HD movie library on external storage (when it arrives). I'm interested to know how many movies could be stored on a 500GB drive in mpeg4.

I have all six Star Wars Movies recorded from back in February off of Cinemax HD, which I think was mpeg2 at the time. Now they are on HBO HD which I think is mpeg4 now. Would rerecording them save me some space on my DVR?

HBO-HD is MPEG2. CinemaxHD wasn't available on Dish in February.

HBO is still mpeg2. So you wouldn't be saving any space. Some of the newest encoders are saving upwards of 30% of space. Some of the older ones around 15%. Your mileage may vary.

To answer your question. At this time there would be no great savings.. your Cinemax ones are still probably smaller than would be on HBO due to the fact that at the time Cinemas was in a different format 1440x1080i than HBO was, I think.

Does anyone know roughly how much space per hour will be required for mpeg4 channels like HBO HD?

Depends on the bit rate they use, but for calculations sake let's use 7mb/s.

7mb/s = 420mb/minute

assume 100 minute movie = 42000 mb/movie = 5250mB/movie =

so just over 5gig for a typical movie assuming fixed bitrate at 7mb/s if my numbers are right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)