Moving ERD/HDD recordings on 622 success! (and other thoughts)

SickPup404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Just wanted to post an update here folks.

Back in January, I asked if there was a way to move recordings from one ERD/HDD to another (see thread here).

Well, it was a long process over this past week off and on (mostly due to my inexperience with Linux), but by using Knoppix I was able to get all the programs from the two Seagate FreeAgent 500 drives I have as ERD's to my confirmed working 1TB drive JBOD array. I'm using two WD 5000YS drives in this Vantec NexStar MX dual SATA case.

The Vantec case has an internal switch to set the JBOD mode off/on and it will support 1TB drives for a 2TB JBOD. It also has its own power switch. Once I had the JBOD set up, I hooked it to the 622 to allow the receiver to initialize the drives. The ERD's use the Linux EXT3 file system.

Once I got it back to my desktop, I used a program called Explore2fs in Windows to look at the partitions. There were two created on the Seagate 500's - one that was very small (~1MB) and the other used the remainder with the programs being stored in a directory named "DishArc". The New Vantec JBOD had three partitions - ~1MB, ~500GB, ~497GB, which had the same DishArc directory in both of them.

Where I had my trouble was getting all the permissions to work in Koppix. Anyone with Linux experience should have no trouble at all. Basically, the ERD's owner in Linux is "root" and the default in Knoppix is knoppix. I had to do a lot of searching in Google to get back to the KDE as root, but once I was there, I just had to mount the drives as read/write and start copying data. Once the first 500GB partition was full, I just started dumping to the 497GB.

After getting all the data copied over, I just went out to the 622 about 30 minutes ago and plugged it in. The receiver popped up a message about the ERD's only being able to work on one recevier at a time and if I wanted to access the programs stored on this one. I said yes and about 30 seconds later I had access to all 172 recordings from both my old Seagate ERD's.

Now, for those of you that have used the Seagate FreeAgent (which seems to be quite a few based on my recollection of the posts flying about having the drive spindown turned off), the drive inside the FreeAgent is a Seagate Barricuda 7200.10 SATA II 3G. I will most likely be creating another JBOD using my two drives from inside the FreeAgent cases, so just thought I would pass that tidbit on.

The next thing I wanted to point out was a ThermalTake external SATA docking station that would probably be most excellent for expanding collections of ERD programs. Just drop in a SATA drive and start transferring stuff over. This also has a dedicated power switch.

I know I probably babbled and probably confused some in this, but please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions. I don't believe anything I did was against the TOS with Dish Network, but if so mods please let me know and amend my posting.

Enjoy and I hope this helps some people out there!
Steve

I almost forgot!

I tried using the program Ext2IFS to allow Windows to do the copying. I'm running Vista Ultimate and once I got it working it was WAY too slow.

What I had to do to get it working was mount the drives in Knoppix and umount them because they were marked "dirty" or something in EXT3, so I couldn't mount them R/W in Windows. Once Knoppix cleaned up the flags for dirty data, it was OK, but too slow.

I'm confused. I thought there wasn't a problem with using multiple discs with the 622. What's the big deal about copying recordings to another drive if you can't view them on another device? Just to have a backup copy?

NP, but his attempt wasn't so successful - do you know why ?
Well, I guess I jumped the gun....
... I just tried moving a recording from the EHD connected to a 722 receiver (Receiver A) to a 622 receiver (Receiver B). The procedure lets you copy the directory, you can also view it on the 622 when you go to the EHD but it won't play on the 622. I just got a black screen and had to press "Live TV" to get out it. ...
I ran into the same thing - recordings that I moved from the FreeAgent drives to the Vantec JBOD via Knoppix do the same thing, all from the same receiver... I checked a recording I had newly moved to the Vantec directly from the receiver, not via Knoppix....

Any ideas to get around this, or do we have to use the receiver? Are the recordings "married" to the ERD maybe? If a direct copy for 1TB of recordings took me most of two days, I can't imagine having to swap drives and put an extra copy in (ERD1 -> Rx -> ERD2)... Not to mention it was on USB 2.0 and I heard the 622 is USB 1.1...

"What's the big deal about copying recordings to another drive if you can't view them on another device?"

I had to move my recordings out of a 250GB drive that stopped working with the new software update L449. The new software update broke playback from this drive. So I bought a 500GB drive and using Ubuntu I was able to move the recordings. I didn't want to lose my recordings.

You could do this if you let the receiver initialize the EHD and then just copy the recordings using some flavor of Linux. As Sickpup404 already pointed out, you need to get permission to the folders so you can have write access to them. I described how to do it in that thread posted above.

I was not succesful trying to move the recordings from another EHD connected to another receiver. You could copy the recordings but they will not playback on another receiver, all I got was a blank screen. I haven't played with this any longer since my goal of moving the recordings from one drive to another using the same receiver has already been achieved.

I'm pretty sure the reason you can't move recordings from another receiver is because of some kind of encryption. I'm not knowledgeable enough to break an encryption so I won't even try. :)

Hope that helps sickpup404.

Well, that gives me a little glimmer of hope! All of this is that I'm trying to do is for the same 622 (my other Rx is an old 508 PVR), just bigger ERD.

So I should be able to migrate the recordings from one device to another for the same receiver?

Well, that gives me a little glimmer of hope! All of this is that I'm trying to do is for the same 622 (my other Rx is an old 508 PVR), just bigger ERD.

So I should be able to migrate the recordings from one device to another for the same receiver?

Correct. I actually tried it on 2 different EHD and it worked but it didn't work when I tried moving recordings from a different receiver. Follow the instructions in that thread and you should be able to move your recordings from the same receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts